U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Do you wear a poster proclaiming your sexual and religious beliefs and your dislike of Southern speech ? Some folks don't need to wear a poster, it just comes out. The majority of the people really don't care what you do as long as you leave them alone.
Of course not. My hesitations are almost entirely based off of internet comments, city reviews, etc. that I see on other websites and sometimes here on CD.

But here's the thing. I didn't like places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh or Dallas. They just seem way too transplant oriented and plastic and generic. Are there any authentic southern cities that are welcoming to Yankees and that a Yankee would feel comfortable living in? Birmingham? Jackson? Knoxville? Baton Rouge? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,154,034 times
You have been talking about moving for years. You clearly are not going to. Not everyone is a mover. Many people stay in the same town they were born in their whole lives.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You have been talking about moving for years. You clearly are not going to. Not everyone is a mover. Many people stay in the same town they were born in their whole lives.
Well, over the past four months I've been applying to jobs in various cities across the nation. My intent to move is clear. The fact that I've been talking about it for years is irrelevant.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Of course not. My hesitations are almost entirely based off of internet comments, city reviews, etc. that I see on other websites and sometimes here on CD.

But here's the thing. I didn't like places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh or Dallas. They just seem way too transplant oriented and plastic and generic. Are there any authentic southern cities that are welcoming to Yankees and that a Yankee would feel comfortable living in? Birmingham? Jackson? Knoxville? Baton Rouge? I don't know.
Well, after you find that authentic Southern city that welcomes yankees, if some of the "good old boys" invite you to go Snipe hunting, you will know you have found your dream location. And by all means, go on the Snipe hunt.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, after you find that authentic Southern city that welcomes yankees, if some of the "good old boys" invite you to go Snipe hunting, you will know you have found your dream location. And by all means, go on the Snipe hunt.
That's not helpful.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
Quote:
That's not helpful.
Well, how bout this. Come on down, tell the locals you don't like their thick Southern accent or their churches and you may as well compliment their wife's obesity. They will still invite you to go Snipe hunting. Southern hospitality at its best.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,503 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Quote:
Like I said, I did fine in Charlotte while I was there for a month as an atheist. I didn't have any issues, and several people there (natives, at that) knew I was atheist and didn't care.

Are there any places in the South that an atheist should avoid?
You might want to avoid the little places, mostly because that's the type of place where everyone already knows everyone and Allll their business already. The kind of place where it's harder to make friends because you're an outsider even if you grew up in the next town over. And that has nothing to do with southern or yankeee 'cuz I know places like that exist in the midwest where I grew up, and they probably exist in your neck of the woods too.
I'm in a little east TN town of roughly 50K, lots of churches, lots of crosses, even a fair number of community activities that take place on church grounds because for a lot of people that's just the convenient place people get together. Sometimes there are prayers, sometimes not but I'm not made to feel uncomfortable or ostracized for standing respectfully off to the side while other people do what feels right to them. I respect their needs as much as I expect them to respect mine. It seems to work for the most part, though it's not always perfect.
My kid is bi, she has a friend that is a little 'different' and sometimes people (mostly old people) make stupid remarks, but I think you just have to learn to let that stuff just roll off, there is no getting away from stupid, no matter where you move.
I think the biggest challenge for you is to learn to accept other people with the same tolerance and respect you'd like shown to you.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:44 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,074,734 times
Nep, looking for a city with a lot of jobs that has a lot to do without Southern Accents...Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Nep, looking for a city with a lot of jobs that has a lot to do without Southern Accents...Atlanta.
I've been to Atlanta multiple times. It wasn't horrible, but it's just WAY too populated and sprawling for me. The metro has like 5.5 million people now, and is the 9th largest metro in the U.S. No thanks.

I started applying to jobs in Richmond, VA. It sounds like a good area to live in. The COL is reasonable and the metro area is the exact same size as the Hartford metro, which is great. The climate is amazing, too. VA is also a blue state with gay marriage, which is good. Plenty of accounting jobs, too. I can't believe no one else on these forums suggested Richmond. You guys are supposed to help me!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:20 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,074,734 times
Raleigh
Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or