U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:42 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times

Advertisements

yeah, I'm actually reconsidering Charlotte and Raleigh. When I was in Charlotte for a month, last year, looking back, it was actually a pretty good place to live. It is kind of starting to get too big for me though now. The metro is up to 2.3 million now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,274,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
yeah, I'm actually reconsidering Charlotte and Raleigh. When I was in Charlotte for a month, last year, looking back, it was actually a pretty good place to live. It is kind of starting to get too big for me though now. The metro is up to 2.3 million now.
The Raleigh/Durham metro isn't too different. A lot of sprawl, suburbia, and growth in both regions. They're both fairly liberal and diverse, but are populated by loads of transplants mainly from the northeast like yourself. Both regions are great for families looking to settle down and live the nice and quiet suburban life. If you want a lot of nightlife, you'll find it in some places, but you'll have to do some searching and driving around. Downtown Raleigh is pretty vibrant for the most part, same with Chapel Hill.

The Richmond metro is another one you could look into. However, there are plenty of other metros in the South that would feel more southern if that's what you're really looking for. Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, and Charlotte are all New South cities/metros, you could also throw in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia and the Atlanta metro into the mix. If you really want a city that feels more southern, definitely check out Columbia or Charleston, South Carolina.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Raleigh/Durham metro isn't too different. A lot of sprawl, suburbia, and growth in both regions. They're both fairly liberal and diverse, but are populated by loads of transplants mainly from the northeast like yourself. Both regions are great for families looking to settle down and live the nice and quiet suburban life. If you want a lot of nightlife, you'll find it in some places, but you'll have to do some searching and driving around. Downtown Raleigh is pretty vibrant for the most part, same with Chapel Hill.

The Richmond metro is another one you could look into. However, there are plenty of other metros in the South that would feel more southern if that's what you're really looking for. Richmond, Raleigh/Durham, and Charlotte are all New South cities/metros, you could also throw in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia and the Atlanta metro into the mix. If you really want a city that feels more southern, definitely check out Columbia or Charleston, South Carolina.
Really? Is Richmond similar to Raleigh and Charlotte with tons of transplants and new construction all over the place? I thought Richmond was supposed to have a lot more history and authenticity or whatever.

Does Richmond feel less southern than Raleigh and Charlotte?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:28 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,245,278 times
Since you're looking for small and progressive, how about Huntsville, AL?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Since you're looking for small and progressive, how about Huntsville, AL?
I have no idea. I've never been there, but I've heard it's an extremely conservative area.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Really? Is Richmond similar to Raleigh and Charlotte with tons of transplants and new construction all over the place? I thought Richmond was supposed to have a lot more history and authenticity or whatever.

Does Richmond feel less southern than Raleigh and Charlotte?
Richmond is much more historic than both Raleigh and Charlotte, that's the truth. It has more of an urban feel, you won't find anything along the lines of a Monument Avenue in Raleigh or Charlotte. However, to me, it feels similar to Raleigh and Charlotte in some pockets. The suburbs of Richmond feel similar to the suburbs of Raleigh IMO. Richmond has its New South flavor, thanks to Virginia Biotechnology Research Park. From what I've heard, you'll find a lot of transplants in Richmond like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. I've spoken to some Raleigh natives who have told me Richmond is the one city outside NC that feels the most like Raleigh.

I don't think Richmond feels less southern than Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte, all three are about equal in my book.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Richmond is much more historic than both Raleigh and Charlotte, that's the truth. It has more of an urban feel, you won't find anything along the lines of a Monument Avenue in Raleigh or Charlotte. However, to me, it feels similar to Raleigh and Charlotte in some pockets. The suburbs of Richmond feel similar to the suburbs of Raleigh IMO. Richmond has its New South flavor, thanks to Virginia Biotechnology Research Park. From what I've heard, you'll find a lot of transplants in Richmond like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. I've spoken to some Raleigh natives who have told me Richmond is the one city outside NC that feels the most like Raleigh.

I don't think Richmond feels less southern than Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte, all three are about equal in my book.
Really? Richmond feels just as southern as Charlotte does? That's hard to believe, considering it's much further north.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Really? Richmond feels just as southern as Charlotte does? That's hard to believe, considering it's much further north.
I'm sure Charlotte is more transplant saturated, but maybe others will disagree. It is further north, and Richmond has a slight Mid-Atlantic feel.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:06 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,098,682 times
Richmond doesn't feel very southern anymore, its more akin to DC. Half of Virginia residents come from out of state or out of the country currently.

I find Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill feel more southern, but not by much. Maybe a better way of putting it is they feel more suburban. Richmond is noticeably more urban, with the southernmost "northern" streetscape, for whatever that means. Meaning last of the rows of townhouses.

So if you are looking for southern, might not be the place. But if you are looking for progressive and full of yankees (speaking as one from Boston) it's a good fit.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Pretty much ^^^. The rowhouses are one similarity with DC and Baltimore, giving Richmond that slight Mid-Atlantic feel despite being an Upper South city. However, and people can call me crazy, but Richmond is also Old South in the vein of cities like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans due to the history. It was the Capital of the Confederacy for four years, and it was quite an affluent city in those days. Drive down Monument Avenue and you can see what I mean.

Richmond might be the best example of a city that is both Old and New South. Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte are about as New South as you can get, same story with Atlanta. Whether they're more southern than Richmond, I'll leave that up to you. It's true the Research Triangle has a lot of suburban sprawl, and it's not slowing down anytime soon. 30 years ago, Cary was a small town in western Wake County, almost had a country vibe to it. Now, it's a transplant saturated suburban town of more than 100,000 built off the back of RTP. If I had to bet, Raleigh/Durham has more transplants than Richmond. If it feels more southern than Richmond, it's not by much these days. Maybe it does, but I'd still say they're about equal.

I know people always accuse me of continuously linking Virginia and North Carolina, but they are probably the two southern states attracting the most transplants from out of the state or country. Due to the Atlanta metro, you could also throw Georgia into the mix, as well. This probably ties back to the history of these two states (VA and NC), both being slightly more progressive than the majority of the southern states (Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, etc.). For Virginia, it's Northern Virginia, Richmond, and the Hampton Roads. For North Carolina, it's the Research Triangle and Charlotte. New South metros that are growing at alarming rates, attracting many transplants mainly from the Northeast. This is why you hear people accusing metros, like Raleigh/Durham as an example, of being less southern than they used to be. In this case, if you want something a little more southern, it might be a good idea to skip these metros of Virginia and North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or