U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 10:22 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,803,683 times

Advertisements

Yes, Huntsville Alabama is a very conservative city. Some of the Democrats even run as conservatives. It is 'progressive' if one uses a non-political definition of the word; 'forward'-looking (again using the non-political definition), clean (not like Biden's description of Obama), safe (except in the areas that vote Democrat), and financially sound.

Huntsville's population is generally well-educated, religious, pro-military, pro-gun, and Republican. This may baffle liberals, but most of the rocket scientists and physicists here are religious. There are more churches than bars. Huntsville is so pro-gun that Remington is fleeing the crazy gun laws in New York to set up operations here.

Huntsville is also fairly live and let live. There is a small but active gay community - some of whom are also Republicans.

I don't recommend it for the OP.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times
I heard Mississippi and Arkansas are nice this time of the year and Northern Florida.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:10 PM

161 posts, read 181,546 times
I'm from Charlotte and live in Raleigh-Durham. Saying both cities are kind of generic isn't really correct. There are huge generic suburban parts of the metro, much more than northern cities. This includes city limits of the larger cities because of NC's generous annexation laws. However, Charlotte has great urban neighborhoods outside of downtown with lots of character (dilworth, plaza-midwood, noda) that are reasonably affordable. Downtown Charlotte does have a generic feel to it though given the buildings are so new. Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill/Carrboro have a lot of character in their downtowns. Durham has the most character with all the renovated tobacco warehouses and with cool walkable neighborhoods like Ninth Street, Central Park, Brightleaf, etc. Raleigh's downtown also has a lot of historic rehabbed buildings and a few other inner neighborhoods with character (oakwood, five points, cameron village, boylan heights).

It's all about knowing where to live in these metros. I've lived in Chapel Hill, Dilworth in Charlotte, downtown Durham and Cameron Village in Raleigh. You typically don't leave these areas and therefore aren't exposed to the suburban areas unless that's where your office is.

One of my good friends is a gay professional in Richmond. The dating scene for your age is noticeably better in Charlotte and Raleigh than Richmond. That said, I like how historic and urban Richmond is over NC cities. It's all about balancing your priorities though.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I'm from Charlotte and live in Raleigh-Durham. Saying both cities are kind of generic isn't really correct. There are huge generic suburban parts of the metro, much more than northern cities. This includes city limits of the larger cities because of NC's generous annexation laws. However, Charlotte has great urban neighborhoods outside of downtown with lots of character (dilworth, plaza-midwood, noda) that are reasonably affordable. Downtown Charlotte does have a generic feel to it though given the buildings are so new. Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill/Carrboro have a lot of character in their downtowns. Durham has the most character with all the renovated tobacco warehouses and with cool walkable neighborhoods like Ninth Street, Central Park, Brightleaf, etc. Raleigh's downtown also has a lot of historic rehabbed buildings and a few other inner neighborhoods with character (oakwood, five points, cameron village, boylan heights).

It's all about knowing where to live in these metros. I've lived in Chapel Hill, Dilworth in Charlotte, downtown Durham and Cameron Village in Raleigh. You typically don't leave these areas and therefore aren't exposed to the suburban areas unless that's where your office is.

One of my good friends is a gay professional in Richmond. The dating scene for your age is noticeably better in Charlotte and Raleigh than Richmond. That said, I like how historic and urban Richmond is over NC cities. It's all about balancing your priorities though.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. I'm from the suburbs of Northern Raleigh/Wake County. Basically a very suburban area that was probably more rural and "out there" 30 years back or so. I'm not as used to the areas of Raleigh that are a little more vibrant and trendy, but they do exist. Look at North Hills these days! You're right, it's all about knowing where to live. Getting stuck in an apartment complex in the middle of Cary is different than an apartment around North Hills or downtown.

Another thing regarding the Research Triangle area, you NEED a car if you want to live here. Just being realistic, and this is the same case for the majority of southern metros. It helps, definitely.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 AM

7,577 posts, read 2,435,663 times
Guess New Orleans would be my only choice on that list, since you dislike Charlotte and Atlanta.

FYI...Nashville is the Christian entertainment capital and home of the Baptist Convention. So not sure that's what you're looking for...

Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Guess New Orleans would be my only choice on that list, since you dislike Charlotte and Atlanta.

FYI...Nashville is the Christian entertainment capital and home of the Baptist Convention. So not sure that's what you're looking for...
Yikes....I'll avoid Nashville then.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
I always thought Nashville was solidly New South like Charlotte or Raleigh? I've heard it's historically progressive. For example, it was the first major city in the South to adopt integration. Am I wrong?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,428,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Does Richmond or Louisville have southern accents that I would have to get used to? Just wondering.
You really HAVE no business moving to the South if you see the native accent as "something to get used to."

There are plenty of other regions of the country--go where you can find a job. Everyone in this thread can read the distaste you have for Southern culture (which includes the accent) and if you moved there, YOU would be the one with the "funny accent" (and the chip on your shoulder about the area, it sounds like). Charlotte isn't even all that Southern, and if it was too Southern for you, you won't be happy in the South.

Try Florida, which isn't really "Southern" except in the Panhandle and Jacksonville area.

Also, as a gay man, the places you're most likely to find any kind of gay culture/dating scene are the very areas with the most crowding/transplants or collegy areas.

You're essentially asking for conflicting characteristics in the same area. Look to the Midwest or West Coast.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM

802 posts, read 1,740,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I always thought Nashville was solidly New South like Charlotte or Raleigh? I've heard it's historically progressive. For example, it was the first major city in the South to adopt integration. Am I wrong?
There not much notable difference at all between the "progressiveness" of cities like Charlotte, Raleigh and Nashville. They just have different feels and attract different people for various reasons. Charlotte and Raleigh have just received more transplants from other regions and do not wear their "Southerness" on their sleeves as much as a city like Nashville that is steeped in musical and cultural history.

Nashville actually has a higher HRC municipality score (75) than either Charlotte (63) or Raleigh (51), but I highly doubt the typical, day-to-day life for a 30-something gay male will be significantly different in either of these cities. If the OP didn't like Austin, Charlotte, or Raleigh, then I doubt Nashville would be much different. To be frank, if things like Southern accents and being surrounded by hyper-religiosity are problematic to the OP, then it just doesn't seem like the overwhelming majority of Southern cities would be a good fit. About the only Southern city he mentioned that may work would be New Orleans. I think the OP would be better served to consider Midwestern cities like Minneapolis or Columbus.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I'm from Charlotte and live in Raleigh-Durham. Saying both cities are kind of generic isn't really correct.
They are generic. Southern gay friendly cities...Consider Nola, Savannah, Houston, and Atlanta. Most of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or