Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:14 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,253,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I never understood why people would want warm and sunny all the time. It's so boring and I'd probably be depressed. Same goes for places that are cold and cloudy all the time. I like hot, humid summers, frigid winters with tons of snow and visual change in my world. I enjoy shoveling snow almost every day. Doesn't bother me at all. I love it when it thunderstorms and then the sun comes out and heats up everything and you can smell the humid tarmac in the air rising from the streets. I like unrelenting overcast just as much as unrelenting sunshine (50-50). Rain is awesome and changes my mood and I find it calming. I also love when it gets dark at like 4:30 pm just as much as when it stays daylight until 9:00 pm. I like being able to wear my nice winter jackets that I paid a lot of money for.

I'm a liberal and like change!
OP, you just posted this on November 12, literally fifteen days ago. You have also posted many, many insulting remarks about the South and its traditional values, regional accents, and Christian faith. No one who is remotely familiar with the usual tone of your posts can possibly take you seriously on this thread. I think you must realize this.

You are very outspoken about your disdain for anyone who believes in God. In your OP on this thread, you listed Nashville, which is the home of most of the Christian publishing firms in the U.S., Chattanooga, which is rated as the "most religious metro" in the U.S., Greenville, SC, which is home to Bob Jones University, quite possibly the most fundamental, traditional, Christian university in the country, and other cities like Baton Rouge and Jacksonville which are also quite traditional and comservative. Heck, you can't even tolerate a southern accent! As the PP said, why would a gay, liberal, atheist who hates Southern culture and dialects even consider for a moment moving to any of these cities? Have you remotely done any research?

Your best bet, as others here have stated, is to look in more urban areas in the northern states, especially since you "enjoy shoveling snow almost every day". you wouldn't be shoveling much snow in Jacksonville or Baton Rouge, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM

18,928 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Meme View Post
You're a gay liberal atheist and you want to go to the South? Oh boy

Well I'm a gay and agnostic moderate, so it can be done.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Do you honestly believe that everyone in the South is a homophobic, far-right, bible-thumping holy roller? That's no different than the belief that everyone in California is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, Pukka-shell wearing hippie surfer who talks like Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I grew up in the South, raised by Atheist hippie parents, in one of the largest LGBT neighborhoods in the country... and that was in the 70's. Granted, most of the South isn't like where I grew up... but then again neither is most of the Northeast, West coast, or Midwest.

There are plenty of areas in the South where a gay liberal Atheist can live comfortably amongst others who share their lifestyle, political views, and beliefs. Just not so much in the small towns and rural areas. Besides, the OP's hang-up apparently are the accents, not the lifestyles and politics.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
Louisville KY. And if you aren't happy there, just go over the bridge and you will be in Indiana.

But seriously I think Louisville is a good fit if the jobs are there.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:35 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
Quote:
Well I don't know....according to other southerners on this forum, southerners are tolerant of gay liberal atheists. I mean, when I stayed in Charlotte for a month, I didn't have an issue at all, and I was openly gay in public.

Someone else mentioned that Chattanooga is the most religious metro in the U.S. LIooks like that person was right:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...tropolis-nati/

I guess that would be too extreme for me then.

This map is also horrifying to me, too:

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gal...tksbouojiw.png

But it looks like Maryland, Delaware and Florida are the only states in the South that I could probably be comfortable in as an atheist, according to this map. I mean, I don't want to hear about church, Jesus, God or anything like that on a regular basis. That's all.

Last edited by nep321; 11-28-2014 at 01:37 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
This^^^. Honestly, do you think it makes us happy hearing New Joisey and New Yawk accents in our southern cities? Knowing that traditional southern accents are dying out among younger generations due to all these Northern transplants?
But I'm from Connecticut. We don't have New Jersey or New York accents. I can't stand NJ or NY accents, personally. But Connecticut people sound normal, like how the vast majority of Americans speak, or what you typically hear on TV. That's how I sound.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, you just posted this on November 12, literally fifteen days ago. You have also posted many, many insulting remarks about the South and its traditional values, regional accents, and Christian faith. No one who is remotely familiar with the usual tone of your posts can possibly take you seriously on this thread. I think you must realize this.

You are very outspoken about your disdain for anyone who believes in God. In your OP on this thread, you listed Nashville, which is the home of most of the Christian publishing firms in the U.S., Chattanooga, which is rated as the "most religious metro" in the U.S., Greenville, SC, which is home to Bob Jones University, quite possibly the most fundamental, traditional, Christian university in the country, and other cities like Baton Rouge and Jacksonville which are also quite traditional and comservative. Heck, you can't even tolerate a southern accent! As the PP said, why would a gay, liberal, atheist who hates Southern culture and dialects even consider for a moment moving to any of these cities? Have you remotely done any research?

Your best bet, as others here have stated, is to look in more urban areas in the northern states, especially since you "enjoy shoveling snow almost every day". you wouldn't be shoveling much snow in Jacksonville or Baton Rouge, lol.
Yes, but if you read my original post in this thread, I stated that the reason why I'm considering the South is because I'm not having any luck finding a job in northern places that I like such as Buffalo or Albany. I don't like big cities like Boston, Philly or NYC or even Pittsburgh, so I'm not going to look there.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
You don't move to a place because you can't find anything better, and expect to be happy. Talk about a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
But it looks like Maryland, Delaware and Florida are the only states in the South that I could probably be comfortable in as an atheist, according to this map. I mean, I don't want to hear about church, Jesus, God or anything like that on a regular basis. That's all.
I'm atheist and do just fine in the south. Tolerance is a two way street. You want to live where your lifestyle is accepted as no big deal, yet you are unwilling to accept people with differing religious views as your neighbors?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You don't move to a place because you can't find anything better, and expect to be happy. Talk about a recipe for disaster.

I'm atheist and do just fine in the south. Tolerance is a two way street. You want to live where your lifestyle is accepted as no big deal, yet you are unwilling to accept people with differing religious views as your neighbors?
Like I said, I did fine in Charlotte while I was there for a month as an atheist. I didn't have any issues, and several people there (natives, at that) knew I was atheist and didn't care.

Are there any places in the South that an atheist should avoid?

Old 11-28-2014, 12:26 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,185,429 times
Do you wear a poster proclaiming your sexual and religious beliefs and your dislike of Southern speech ? Some folks don't need to wear a poster, it just comes out. The majority of the people really don't care what you do as long as you leave them alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.