U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:42 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Burlington, VT
Portsmouth, NH
Portland, ME
I believe all of them have less that 75,000 within the city limits, except for maybe Portland.

Perhaps Spokane, Eugene, Corvallis and Reno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 09:05 AM

42 posts, read 41,646 times
San Diego could probably work but it's not very cheap

Old 11-27-2014, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 3,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'll chime in for Denver based on your price point and preference for the west. Really though, Portland is probably your best option based on what you're looking for. I hope your partner can crack the accreditation nut in Oregon.
Thanks a lot. I think currently Denver/Boulder seems to be in the lead if we can't get this accreditation.. but we're also considering Santa Barbara (expensive, but my Aunt lives there), somewhere closer to Yosemite (not sure where, SF is too expensive), San Diego and places in Washington State if that is possible but we really hope Oregon works out.

We've been there multiple times and absolutely love it.. perfect for us besides maybe a little too much rain but that's manageable. It's a shame Oregon are so strict with the red tape.. we get green cards because of our professions but Oregon seem hell bent on making it impossible to use that profession even though my wife has amazing credentials, references and experience.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Can't believe I forgot to mention Spokane. If you want to be in the Northwest but don't want to have to pay coast rents, Spokane is your best bet. Not the most exciting city, but meets all of your criteria... and very affordable.

Downtown Spokane is actually surprisingly fun sometimes.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Can't believe I forgot to mention Spokane. If you want to be in the Northwest but don't want to have to pay coast rents, Spokane is your best bet. Not the most exciting city, but meets all of your criteria... and very affordable.

Downtown Spokane is actually surprisingly fun sometimes.
I've actually been through Spokane. Stayed a night on the way from Glacier National Park, MT > Portland, OR. You're right about prices.. everything was so cheap. I think I payed about $50 for a hotel room that included breakfast. I never explored it much, but I'll add it to the short list as somewhere to explore further.. though I'm not sure if I mentioned Washington seems to be a pain in the butt in regards to this accreditation as well, so it may be out of the equation as well. We're kind of looking more towards California and Colorado currently, but still interested in other places if people think they fit the bill!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Meme View Post
San Diego could probably work but it's not very cheap
Thanks Epic Meme, SD was actually on our short list before coming to this site. Actually, most of our shortlist has been checked off from this thread so far, so I'm glad we were kind of looking in the right direction before coming here and you guys are on the same page as us

We had:

Boulder, CO
Denver, CO
Santa Barbara, CA
San Diego, CA
Santa Rosa, CA
Santa Fe, NM
Bozeman, MT
Missoula, MT

Old 11-27-2014, 02:26 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh133 View Post
I've actually been through Spokane. Stayed a night on the way from Glacier National Park, MT > Portland, OR. You're right about prices.. everything was so cheap. I think I payed about $50 for a hotel room that included breakfast. I never explored it much, but I'll add it to the short list as somewhere to explore further.. though I'm not sure if I mentioned Washington seems to be a pain in the butt in regards to this accreditation as well, so it may be out of the equation as well. We're kind of looking more towards California and Colorado currently, but still interested in other places if people think they fit the bill!
I forgot about the accreditation issue. My apologies. You might want to look into Couer D'Alene, ID... right over the state line, and basically part of the Spokane CSA. Beautiful place, and still very affordable.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I forgot about the accreditation issue. My apologies. You might want to look into Couer D'Alene, ID... right over the state line, and basically part of the Spokane CSA. Beautiful place, and still very affordable.
No problems Bob, I forgot if I mentioned it in regards to Washington. Couer D'Alene looks quite nice. We drove past the turnoffs for it but never made it to the city itself. Might be worth looking into as well. I'll add it to the list.

Are there any nice places that fit the bill close to Yosemite that aren't San Francisco? We've been doing a bit of research and can definitely afford a little higher rent than we anticipated, somewhere more like $1500/mo but not sure we can get a large 1 bedroom or smaller 2 bedroom for that in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.