U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 PM

749 posts, read 753,690 times

Advertisements

What state has the tallest people in the USA? I have been told that it is Minnesota. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 AM

21,206 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Probably Minnesota or perhaps neighboring Iowa, South Dakota or North Dakota due to the prevalence of Scandinavian heritage in the area.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:44 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
Based on my extensive travels, I would say Minnesota or the west coast in general.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,402,537 times
There's another (long) thread floating around about this - ND/SD/MN/WI in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Based on my extensive travels
Haha!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,407,656 times
Incorrect. The correct answer is Georgia, where a lot of African Americans reside.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Incorrect. The correct answer is Georgia, where a lot of African Americans reside.
I don't see any African countries on here: Top 10: Tallest Countries - AskMen

The tallest people in the world are blond Scandahoovians. Which is why MN is probably the smartest singular answer.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 AM

21,206 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

The tallest people in the world are blond Scandahoovians. Which is why MN is probably the smartest singular answer.
Or perhaps not. Much of Minnesota's population is attributed to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) which in keeping with many urban areas does not have as many tall people, probably due to more transplants from other cities. I would think North Dakota could be in the running due to it's lack of transplants comparatively speaking.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:45 AM

199 posts, read 203,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or perhaps not. Much of Minnesota's population is attributed to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St Paul) which in keeping with many urban areas does not have as many tall people, probably due to more transplants from other cities. I would think North Dakota could be in the running due to it's lack of transplants comparatively speaking.
I dunno. Minnesota + ND both have a massive population of Scandinavians. Yes, the Twin Cities is full of transplants, but other regions in the state are just full of Scandinavians. There isn't even a million people in ND. Overall, Minnesota. 32% of people in MN have some sort of Scandinavian origins; there's even more in ND, so percentage wise, ND.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

NOPE, the tallest people in the world live in The Netherlands. I am of Dutch descent, so I know this, and as a matter of fact, it's in YOUR link. I am also a 6'1" female, living proof.

However, I do live in NJ, which was settled largely by the Dutch and the Swedes, but later infiltrated by Italians and other short people*, so overall, Jersey is not going to have the tallest people.

You are correct, though, that Scandinavians are also tall people. When I go shopping and see other tall women, they are almost always the blond/blue-eyed northern European types or African-American.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/...untries_1.html

I like that the article says that in response to advocates for tall people, government doorways in The Netherlands have been made higher. LOL. I wish we could get adjustments here in the US--sinks, doorknobs, desks, tables, etc., are all made for short people. We get crooks in our backs and necks from always having to lean in to do what the rest of you do just standing normally.

*I am NOT prejudiced--some of my best friends are short people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or