U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:09 PM

41 posts, read 66,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
maybe Bend, Oregon?
It's on my list of considerations. There's a thread over in the Bend forum that rentals are almost impossible to find in Bend, and very expensive due to a recent large influx of people.

There's also South Sister, which poses a mild volcanic threat to the area. There's been an 11" uplift in recent years, and several instances of swarm activity. The USGS is closely monitoring the activity. There likely wouldn't be any threat to life in Bend if it erupted, but there would be substantial property damage. Just something I'm keeping in mind.

That being said, I've been checking out the picture thread, absolutely stunning area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 4,713 times
Ultimately, we live somewhere based on our "employment", so I will leave that one out. I think you should probably also look at swaths of Colorado North of Denver, and certainly Utah.....

Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Pentangeli View Post
Ultimately, we live somewhere based on our "employment", so I will leave that one out. I think you should probably also look at swaths of Colorado North of Denver, and certainly Utah.....
Yeah, I've been toying with Colorado as well. I'd probably want to avoid Denver... too much traffic, too much corruption, too much crime, but other areas of CO are probably worthy of consideration.

I'm very lucky to have a flexible position at a very forward-looking company. I'm only in the office maybe once every two weeks, and I have several co-workers located across the US. I can do my job from anywhere with fast internet access, really. The only concern I have with this is that, typically, joining a local company in a new area provides a nice jumpstart to a friend network; I wouldn't have that luxury.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 PM

447 posts, read 579,255 times
I'd look at Spokane, Washington. Fits nearly everything you described. Slow-paced and casual, medium-sized, a lot of local breweries, leans conservative, near lots of forested rural land, etc. You'd have to check weather and employment specifics, but it's about as close as you can get to a more conservative more sunny Pacific Northwest experience. Other good fits might include SLC, Boise, and Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,613,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
For sure, California is probably not on the list anyway... a little to "blue" for my liking.

Having never been to either city, that was my instinct as well. Both Seattle and Portland strike me as a little too... Bohemian? My gut tells me both of these cities are culturally incompatible, although the scenery in Oregon and Washington is stunning, and it would be cool to scout various Grimm shooting locations (big fan of the show). I'll file these under "accessible places to visit, don't want to live there."

SLC has been a consideration for me, but my main concern, based on a small amount of research, is that private, forested land is more difficult to come by and more expensive within a ~2 hour drive, due largely to the local ski resorts. (As an aside, I don't really have any interest in Skiing or Snowboarding.)

Boise, on the other hand, seems to have loads of 5-40 acre forested lots up along 55 below $100,000. It seems Boise may be a serious contender. Maybe I'll track down and add a few people in the Boise Tech industry on Twitter and see if I can gather some additional info. My main concern is that I keep hearing a phrase repeated... that people in Boise "Are very friendly, but don't want to be your friend."
You're definitely going to have easier and quicker access to deep green forests outside of Boise then anywhere in Utah. IMO the forests in Utah pale in comparison to Idaho and the rest of the Northwest. The forests begin in the mountains above Boise and continue all of the way north to Canada. Highway 21 heading out of Boise also has a lot of "suburbs" in the forest heading towards Idaho City. The "friend" thing is subjective and is often said for Portland and Seattle as well. It is called the Northwest Freeze. People in SLC are in their own peculiar bubble and can be judgmental.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I'd look at Spokane, Washington. Fits nearly everything you described. Slow-paced and casual, medium-sized, a lot of local breweries, leans conservative, near lots of forested rural land, etc. You'd have to check weather and employment specifics, but it's about as close as you can get to a more conservative more sunny Pacific Northwest experience.
This. Coeur d'Alene, ID too.

I don't get the SLC recommendations. I know that there are trees in the mountains, but the city itself will look quite barren coming from Ohio. I will throw in a couple of cents for Colorado Springs, however, but it doesn't feel "Pac NW" at all either.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I'd look at Spokane, Washington. Fits nearly everything you described. Slow-paced and casual, medium-sized, a lot of local breweries, leans conservative, near lots of forested rural land, etc. You'd have to check weather and employment specifics, but it's about as close as you can get to a more conservative more sunny Pacific Northwest experience. Other good fits might include SLC, Boise, and Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs.
Interesting. I hadn't really thought about Spokane. I have a couple friends that live there. I suppose there, theoretically, I could live/rent in Spokane, and buy rural land in neighboring Idaho. Hmmm. Does anyone know how the state income tax thing works if your employer is in a taxed state, but you live and work in an untaxed state?

Edit: Nevermind, I'll still have to file an Ohio nonresident return. LAME I suppose on the plus side, I wouldn't have to file both states as I would in Idaho. Adding this of my list of things to ponder.

Last edited by RadioOutrun; 11-29-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
Interesting. I hadn't really thought about Spokane. I have a couple friends that live there. I suppose there, theoretically, I could live/rent in Spokane, and buy rural land in neighboring Idaho. Hmmm.
Or in Washington.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Spokane's crime rate is really quite high, even higher than Dayton, which is saying something. They should get a trophy or something. Weather looks tolerable, though.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Or in Washington.
I like Idaho because it has local-level building regulations... building permits, septic, electrical, etc. are all very "do-what-you-want," especially in rural areas. Washington is draconian in comparison. In other words, I can buy land and build a small cabin without a bunch of bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.