Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
I like Idaho because it has local-level building regulations... building permits, septic, electrical, etc. are all very "do-what-you-want," especially in rural areas. Washington is draconian in comparison. In other words, I can buy land and build a small cabin without a bunch of bureaucracy.
Yes, that's what they say.

Re: Spokane crime, it is mostly concentrated in a few areas. The northern half of the north side, and the southern 3/4 of the South Hill are more than fine. No one says you had to live in city limits, as it does have suburbs.

I lived in the West Hills neighborhood, neither north nor south, and didn't have crime issues. I was on a dirt road in the trees less than a mile from downtown. It was absolutely awesome.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM

41 posts, read 80,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No one says you had to live in city limits, as it does have suburbs.
Point taken. Still, a city with less crime is generally favorable, all other things being equal. One of many factors, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:38 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Point taken. Still, a city with less crime is generally favorable, all other things being equal. One of many factors, I suppose.
Just a matter of how you slice the pig.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The "friend" thing is subjective and is often said for Portland and Seattle as well. It is called the Northwest Freeze. People in SLC are in their own peculiar bubble and can be judgmental.
The Northwest Freeze... fascinating. Honestly, I probably wouldn't even notice it. I'm quite sure people in Dayton, Ohio are the flakiest group of people on the planet. People you've known for years flake out all the time, let alone new people. That being said, on paper it's a little intimidating when moving across the country by yourself.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't get the SLC recommendations. I know that there are trees in the mountains, but the city itself will look quite barren coming from Ohio. I will throw in a couple of cents for Colorado Springs, however, but it doesn't feel "Pac NW" at all either.
I've never been to SLC, but it doesn't seem to fit to me either. It has a weird vibe to me, just gut instincts, but they've served me well in the past.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:06 PM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
I don't get the SLC recommendations. I know that there are trees in the mountains, but the city itself will look quite barren coming from Ohio. I will throw in a couple of cents for Colorado Springs, however, but it doesn't feel "Pac NW" at all either.
Depends on where in the area you look, but you're right a lot of the metro area can look bleak. The SLC recommendation was based more on the other factors than the trees/forest one. Casual, solid republican, mountains/activity around, great employment opportunities, real estate prices etc. It doesn't fit *everything* on the list, but neither will any of the other cities mentioned.

Quote:
Spokane's crime rate is really quite high, even higher than Dayton, which is saying something.
As pointed out by David Aguilar, crime is fairly localized to a few areas. And if it concerns you enough, you could always live in neighboring Spokane Valley or one of the other suburbs that all have below-average crime rates. Or if you were willing to live in a smaller city and further away from Spokane, Coeur d'Alene definitely fits several of your preferences.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Depends on where in the area you look, but you're right a lot of the metro area can look bleak. The SLC recommendation was based more on the other factors than the trees/forest one. Casual, solid republican, mountains/activity around, great employment opportunities, real estate prices etc. It doesn't fit *everything* on the list, but neither will any of the other cities mentioned.
Point taken. I understand that my list of requirements has some contradictions, and no place will meet all of them perfectly. Like most people, I'm just shopping for a good balance, although the forested land in the PacNW is substantially more appealing in terms of natural beauty. That's certainly a matter of subjective preference, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
As pointed out by David Aguilar, crime is fairly localized to a few areas. And if it concerns you enough, you could always live in neighboring Spokane Valley or one of the other suburbs that all have below-average crime rates. Or if you were willing to live in a smaller city and further away from Spokane, Coeur d'Alene definitely fits several of your preferences.
For sure, when I go into the office now, I have a 50 minute commute, and I've had several jobs with similar commutes. The 35 minute drive into Spokane from Coeur d'Alene wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:41 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
For sure, California is probably not on the list anyway... a little to "blue" for my liking.
Dismissing the most economically significant entity in Western Civilization that's home to more people than every other Western state combined, not to mention significantly more educational and economic opportunity than all other Western states -- and most states, for that matter -- because it's "a little to blue" is absolutely asinine.

Sounds like renting cars at a Hertz in Phoenix will fit the OP like a glove. Maybe, if he's lucky, he'll get the airport Hertz.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
$900-$1000 for a two bedroom will kick you out of the coastal west states.

The grass is always greener.
Not necessarily, my two bedroom in Portland is $750/month. It's 50 years old and not in the safest part of town but it works for me.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Look into Flagstaff, AZ. Its a bit more liberal than you want, but everything else you mentioned sounds like a good fit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.