U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM

4,739 posts, read 5,448,424 times
Default Cities with the best places to go metal detecting

I have done a lot of research on the area I'm in now and am surprised that I can find areas that really haven't been hit till now. I'm in upper east Tennessee. When I lived in Florida every place had been combed over and it was almost impossible to find anything. Most of the detecting around here is by civil war buffs so most of the good places to search for coins are untouched. I have literally filled mayo jars full of coins from a single location. In Blountville TN is a road called Island Road that flanks the original trail Daniel Boone helped carve into this area back in the latter 1700's, actually you can still see the wagon wheel ruts in the dirt beside the road in parts of the land that were never tilled up for crops. I've only gotten permission to dig on a few locations along this road but it produced jars of coins on a lot where a hotel that the James brothers owned for many years and now has a double wide sitting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 39,625 times
I am very interested in the Island road area that you metal detected at. I would like to learn more about this Island road area and would love to metal detect there. I think i know where you are talking about, is it where the new National College is. Let me know.

thanks,
B.J.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,699,266 times
Well, in my neck of the woods you can detect for raw gold. My buddy and I tried it once but only found tools and such from the miners 150 years ago, but we didn't really know what we were doing. I used to go panning/dredging with my folks, and we found a bit of gold, never enough to sell (only because we had lives and couldn't do it all day every day, there's still plenty of it left).

Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Default where abouts

Where abouts are you located. If you are about to go looking again, i would like to go detecting with you if you are close to my location.
thanks, B.J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Well, in my neck of the woods you can detect for raw gold. My buddy and I tried it once but only found tools and such from the miners 150 years ago, but we didn't really know what we were doing. I used to go panning/dredging with my folks, and we found a bit of gold, never enough to sell (only because we had lives and couldn't do it all day every day, there's still plenty of it left).

Where abouts are you located. If you are about to go looking again, i would like to go detecting with you if you are close to my location.
thanks, B.J.[

Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Default island rd

I live in bluff city and work in the island rd. area and i'm not familiar with the property that the hotel use to be. I know u may want to keep the property a secret and i have been trying to research it and unable to locate anything. If at all possible I would like to know where this area is in Blountville Tn. thanks in advance. B.J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I have done a lot of research on the area I'm in now and am surprised that I can find areas that really haven't been hit till now. I'm in upper east Tennessee. When I lived in Florida every place had been combed over and it was almost impossible to find anything. Most of the detecting around here is by civil war buffs so most of the good places to search for coins are untouched. I have literally filled mayo jars full of coins from a single location. In Blountville TN is a road called Island Road that flanks the original trail Daniel Boone helped carve into this area back in the latter 1700's, actually you can still see the wagon wheel ruts in the dirt beside the road in parts of the land that were never tilled up for crops. I've only gotten permission to dig on a few locations along this road but it produced jars of coins on a lot where a hotel that the James brothers owned for many years and now has a double wide sitting on it.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM

Sorry I took so long to respond, when you take 394 from Volunteer to 11w Island Rd is at the top of the hill after you go through the light at the Courthouse in Blountville, right past the church you make a left on Island Rd and the Doublewide sits on the property on the right hand side. To the left of the Doublewide closer to the street is where the hotel stood.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM

If you live in Bluff City it has some interesting places to dig also. The mill on the banks of the river operated for years. I know the building was torn down about the time the city put in the little park like area but I've dug some interesting stuff out of there during the winter when they lower Boone lake and the river is a trickle. I believe the mill first opened back when the city was called Choats Ford "possibly misspelled" I haven't done this yet but I would love to get up on top of the rock the train tracks used to run over the river to just north of the bridge. Also prior to 11E all traffic between Johnson City and Bristol passed through Bluff City. Even Al Capone has been in Bluff City on his way to the Illegal gambling houses in Johnson city during prohibition.

The original fort for this area stood not to far from the VA/TN line on the TN side where I 81 runs through, although the pavement and alterations made when putting in I 81 restricts access to some of the fort grounds it would be nice to get my hands on an early map to dig there. I doubt anyone would care.

Last edited by Rcm58; 10-21-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 12,314 times
Default I have a place to take you if you take me

Email me at jtcslc1@yahoo.com if you would like to get together and hunt I live in the cooks valley area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,148 times
My home was originally a cabin built in 1932. There is an old outhouse in a field. I am going to start scouring the area now that I' ve heard all of you discussing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.