U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,067 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Reputation: 15214

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Apparently you have to be über rich to live and shop in Charelston.
Only if you live in the historic area. Outside of that Charleston is quite affordable.

 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:34 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ok, then give us a stereotype attributed to the South that is false, from a comparative perspective.

Is the South poorer, more conservative, less educated, less economically mobile, more violent, fatter, less healthy, more religious? All yes, from a comparative perspective.
By definition, stereotypes will have some truth to them. The point is that they do not always apply. If it could be proven to be false then it wouldn't be a stereotype but a myth or misconception.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:38 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
By definition, stereotypes will have some truth to them. The point is that they do not always apply. If it could be proven to be false then it wouldn't be a stereotype but a myth or misconception.
Then what's your point?

Is Honduras stereotypically an ultra-poor, war-torn, gang-infested zone of mass rapes/carnage? Yes.

Does that mean there aren't rich people in Honduras driving fancy cars and wearing Chanel, and safely living in mansions? No.

So what's the point? Everyone knows that a stereotype cannot uniformly apply to all across tens of millions of people. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Reputation: 8022
[quote=NOLA101;37465691]Then what's your point?

Is Honduras stereotypically an ultra-poor, war-torn, gang-infested zone of mass rapes/carnage? Yes.

Does that mean there aren't rich people in Honduras driving fancy cars and wearing Chanel, and safely living in mansions? No.

So what's the point? Everyone knows that a stereotype cannot uniformly apply to all across tens of millions of people. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype.[/quote]




So! Why are the ignorant here trying to paint the whole South with such a broad brush?
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post

So! Why are the ignorant here trying to paint the whole South with such a broad brush?
Can you point us to a case where someone claimed "Every single person in the South is poor and ignorant"

There are billionaires in Africa, and people with malnutrition in Switzerland. Anyone with a functioning brain understands that a stereotype cannot be uniformly applied across millions of people. So is it unfair to say that Africa is poor and Switzerland is rich?
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Inland FL
1,249 posts, read 719,544 times
Reputation: 2179
Whenever the elite media from Hollywood stops telling people how to think, which will be never.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Can you point us to a case where someone claimed "Every single person in the South is poor and ignorant"

There are billionaires in Africa, and people with malnutrition in Switzerland. Anyone with a functioning brain understands that a stereotype cannot be uniformly applied across millions of people. So is it unfair to say that Africa is poor and Switzerland is rich?




Exactly, and all Northerners are not loud, pushy, and rude, or the most intelligent creatures on the Earth.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Really?

I think you mean that SOME Republicans think that way. Just like SOME Democrats believe in giving amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Honestly...generalizations like yours are one reason why people feel they can't "reach across the aisle." When they know the person on the other side is so closed minded and judgmental, it really puts a damper on communication.
Well, duh, of course we should give full amnesty to ALL illegal aliens, but only AFTER we first secure the border entirely. It was our failure to secure the border good enough, so now we're stuck with them anyway, and deporting 11 million illegal aliens is administratively IMPOSSIBLE. Might as well convert them into taxpayers so that they can fund the imminent baby boomer generation, which will require a higher-than-normal ratio of workers to retirees in order to prevent a shortfall in Social Security outlays. And might as well keep them here since most of them are working hard, getting college degrees, etc. They took advantage of our nation's offerings, so now it's time to take advantage of them. They're here for good, so might as well.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then what's your point?

Is Honduras stereotypically an ultra-poor, war-torn, gang-infested zone of mass rapes/carnage? Yes.

Does that mean there aren't rich people in Honduras driving fancy cars and wearing Chanel, and safely living in mansions? No.

So what's the point? Everyone knows that a stereotype cannot uniformly apply to all across tens of millions of people. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype.
If you paid close attention to the OP you would see what his and my point is, but since you're having trouble I'll help you out:

The OP is expressing frustration with the fact that people up north dismiss the south as being backwards and hillbilly, despite the fact that it is not mostly true. If you don't understand that frustration, maybe it's because you're one of those types he's talking about.
 
Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Reputation: 8022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
If you paid close attention to the OP you would see what his and my point is, but since you're having trouble I'll help you out:

The OP is expressing frustration with the fact that people up north dismiss the south as being backwards and hillbilly, despite the fact that it is not mostly true. If you don't understand that frustration, maybe it's because you're one of those types he's talking about.


Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top