U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times

Advertisements

Technically, ME, DE and DC are in the South, but they don't really have southern culture. However, compared to New England, they do have a slight southern culture that is definitely noticeable to me. In fact, one time, five years ago I was in northern Delaware and someone called me a yankee.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,882,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In the eyes of a New Englander, this is how I feel about the southern states (I've been to them all except AR):

Stereotype doesn't apply
Maryland
Delaware
District of Columbia

Stereotype sometimes applies
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia
Texas
Virginia
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Kentucky

Stereotype almost always applies
West Virginia
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas

But even in places like the Jackson, MS metro area, I didn't really see the stereotypes that much, other than noticeable obesity rates. With regard to Florida, the stereotypes typically apply only to the panhandle. And within Texas, the stereotype doesn't apply much in the major metro areas, as well as Atlanta metro. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky is *extremely* backwoods from what I've witnessed in person.
Maryland is not in the South. Using the traditional Mason-Dixon line as a guide, both Maryland and Delaware are above that line. DC is right on the line.

Florida really has 2 parts to it: from Tallahassee heading west is DEFINITELY culturally Southern. From Tallahassee heading south is NOT culturally Southern at all.

Within urban centers, NC and GA and TN and TX have completely different cultures than their rural counterparts.

VA has a lot of urban development and you could argue that its southern heritage has been waning for some time.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:38 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,252,221 times
In any case, whatever you think about states like Maryland, no one thinks that Maryland (or Northern VA) are poor, ignorant, redneck places. Obviously such stereotypes are directed towards other parts of the South, and indeed the South, comparatively, is, by far, the poorest, fattest, most violent part of the country. That's where you get the stereotypes.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 PM

320 posts, read 473,886 times
Some southern states will always have a negative stereotypical image. I've tried to explain that on this forum but a lot of people on here think that those stereotypes don't exist anymore.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Bethesda, MD reminds me of Hoboken, NJ. Maryland is barley southern only certain areas. Although, there are country places in NY as well.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM

8,571 posts, read 5,382,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Maryland, DC, DE, and Northern VA aren't the South, in the context of 2014. Neither is most of Florida. No one thinks of Bethesda, MD as "the south".

Maryland is more similar to the NYC, Philly and Boston suburbs than anywhere in the south, so unless Long Island and Connecticut are "the South", no one should be using Maryland to disprove the stereotypes about poverty in the South.
Virginia is indeed a southern state, it was home to the confederate capital at Richmond. Much of DC suburbs spills over into a southern state. All of Florida is a southern state, you cant get any farther south than Florida.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM

5,070 posts, read 4,101,525 times
When the poor people of those states start to vote for self-interests and embrace change. Highly religious extremists and low educated people tend to overshadow those in the South that are nothing like this negative stereotype. If no one believes as they do, then they must be the devil, himself. On the flip side, the most friendly, open-hearted, and genuinely nice people that I have met have been from the South. Some of these people will never be educated, wear fancy clothes, or pretend to be important while typing away on their i-pads at Starbucks, but will go out of their way to support their families and friends, especially when they are on hard times. It's that spirit that is often overlooked when we stereotype Southerners as dumb hillbillies. Trust me i hear it all the time from my guy's family, largely from the Midwest. They can't believe he chose to live down here in the South, but it's grown on him...in a good way.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Virginia is indeed a southern state, it was home to the confederate capital at Richmond. Much of DC suburbs spills over into a southern state. All of Florida is a southern state, you cant get any farther south than Florida.
He's talking about Northern VA. Not Richmind, he didn't say Virginia isn't a southern state. Northern VA basically feels like someone dropped a part of New Jersey into Virginia. It's very out of place.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM

5,070 posts, read 4,101,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
He was talking about the feel of the areas and how their respective cultures are largely influenced by the North, not necessarily their geography. This has been discussed and supported with evidence, over and over again. The United States Census, correctly identifies Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida as Southern states. However, and this is a big however, Northern Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, and Central to Southern Florida do not reflect southern culture in today's time. There are many exceptions to a government designation of an area. In addition, there are also hybrid cultures where you have blends of multiple cultural influences. Good examples of this include Louisville (Midwest/South), New Orleans (South, French/Cajun/Creole, North East), and Baltimore (Mid-Atlantic, North East, South). So it is not entirely black and white in this case.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:20 PM

23,085 posts, read 35,044,432 times
When you get over yourself. It's not our responsibility to shed anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or