Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 03:56 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times

Advertisements

Some states are both southern and east coast, like North Carolina. With the influx of transplants to the Research Triangle and Charlotte metros, many from the northeast, I feel like North Carolina's stereotypical southern image is fading away. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are two of the fastest growing cities in the nation. For the Research Triangle especially, the stereotype doesn't fit the bill for the most part.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Some states are both southern and east coast, like North Carolina. With the influx of transplants to the Research Triangle and Charlotte metros, many from the northeast, I feel like North Carolina's stereotypical southern image is fading away. Both Raleigh and Charlotte are two of the fastest growing cities in the nation. For the Research Triangle especially, the stereotype doesn't fit the bill for the most part.
But the reality is that it's still solidly Southern.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Definitely. Raleigh and Charlotte are both southern cities and always will be, even with the transplants. The stereotypical southern image is fading away in these two metros mainly due to the transplants, but both are still southern. The whole state is solidly southern.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:39 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Overall yes, but it's changed a lot in recent decades. Coastal North Carolina doesn't feel southern, and neither does Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham are hard pressed to find truly thick southern accents anymore, most people don't even have a slight drawl anymore. Of course I don't see the rest of the state changing anytime soon, it's just a few key metro areas.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
When this region stops automatically being deep RED every election year, supporting policies, laws, and beliefs that bigoted, backwards, racist, and hillbilly people embrace. This is a clear signal that the region is still fighting the Civil War, still supporting Dixie, still favoring Jim Crow, and still having more in common with the Klan than not. Sure, there are some extraordinary people there, fine, magnificent people. But there still exists enough of the racist, supremely ignorant, bigoted, backwards contingent in that region to keep it tipped in the wrong direction. Until this changes, I don't care how beautiful it looks in parts. People will change their opinion of the region when the region itself undergoes a true change in its core and foundation. This certainly won't occur during my lifetime. It likely will not happen for centuries, if ever.

Well said!! The land of the people that despise communism have certainly embraced one party rule. The people there would vote for their pet dog if the alternative was a democrat.

The truth is, the South hates and despises the Fed Govt to this very day due to the loss in the Civil War. It has been passed down from generation to generation. They hate our greatest president Lincoln, while the rest of the US has him as our greatest that saved this very nation from destruction. They don't see it that way. I'll bet if you polled them, a majority of Southerners would say they wish the Confederacy had prevailed in the Civil War. Given the results of such a poll, is it any wonder why the rest of the country feels the way it does. Even when I visited places as far from the South as Portland, OR, the vast majority of Americans know exactly how Southerners feel about this country.

And yes, they continually vote against their own self interests because they associate the democrats with the hated Fed Govt.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 12-07-2014 at 02:14 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, and I'll admit that Alabamians poke fun at Mississippi too. We're allowed to, but you let a non-Southerner do it and we'll come out fightin'.

Alabama and MS are cut from the same cloth in our eyes. Gotta love how dis-unified this country is.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 12-07-2014 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'd expect from a California liberal. Don't get me wrong, I'm liberal in most areas too, but I guess I'm a little more enlightened because I don't make blanket assumptions on an area due to their voting styles or the fact that they were on the wrong side of a ware 150 years ago.

33 states now have republic governors, I'm guessing even Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan, Wisconsin, and others are now RED states because they have republican governors.

I'm pretty glad I spent several years living in the south, it opened my eyes to see past the bigoted stereotypes most people automatically equate with the people who live there. The Deep South of the 21st century is virtually unrecognizable from the Deep South of the 1960's. There is interracial dating, there are black mayors and black congressmen, blacks and whites openly socialize in public settings. I myself was surprised at how friendly a very southern black woman was with what seemed to be a very backwoodsy homegrown white man with camo clothes. Not saying everything is perfect and peachy, but the South has traveled MILES in terms of progression. The ideas you blanket southerners with was mostly true about 50 years ago, the 21st century is a different time.

Do present day Southerners think they were on the wrong side of that war? I've yet to meet one that felt that way. And I've met plenty. If anything they think Lincoln was a murdering tyrant.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I love how voting for the party that you don't support equates to being bigoted, backwards, and racist. Jim Crow? The Klan? Where exactly do those issues appear in the Republican National platform? Or are YOU actually the one still living the Civil War?

Personally, I think that most true ignorance exists in the Blue State world of secular humanism and moral relativism, where people have a strange sense of intellectual superiority yet fail to see that the increasingly godless, secular world that we live in is breeding an increase in broken families, violent crimes, drug dependence, and apathy towards others. it isn't exactly people who live by the teachings of Jesus who are beating each other senseless over cheap TVs at Walmart, is it?

It is by the grace of God and the strength of the grass roots populace in this country that you will never see your dream of a vast Blue State culture that embraces your earnestly held but misguided, secular values spread across this country. In case you don't look at political maps, the South is hardly the only region that is "deep RED" every election year. There are still plenty of other people in this great country of ours who possess some common sense and traditional values.

Are you happy that the Union prevailed in the Civil War? Do you believe Lincoln to be our greatest president?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This is exactly the kind of rhetoric I'd expect from a California liberal. Don't get me wrong, I'm liberal in most areas too, but I guess I'm a little more enlightened because I don't make blanket assumptions on an area due to their voting styles or the fact that they were on the wrong side of a ware 150 years ago.

33 states now have republic governors, I'm guessing even Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan, Wisconsin, and others are now RED states because they have republican governors.

I'm pretty glad I spent several years living in the south, it opened my eyes to see past the bigoted stereotypes most people automatically equate with the people who live there. The Deep South of the 21st century is virtually unrecognizable from the Deep South of the 1960's. There is interracial dating, there are black mayors and black congressmen, blacks and whites openly socialize in public settings. I myself was surprised at how friendly a very southern black woman was with what seemed to be a very backwoodsy homegrown white man with camo clothes. Not saying everything is perfect and peachy, but the South has traveled MILES in terms of progression. The ideas you blanket southerners with was mostly true about 50 years ago, the 21st century is a different time.

And all because of the "hated" Fed Govt. If not for the Fed Govt forcing it thru law, the South would have never embraced what you describe, and you know it. So I ask why then do southerners so despise the Fed Govt today? And I don't mean just when a democrat is president. I'm talking about the fact that just about every single southerner I have ever spoken with hates the Fed Govt.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:51 AM

320 posts, read 578,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well said!! The land of the people that despise communism have certainly embraced one party rule. The people there would vote for their pet dog if the alternative was a democrat.

The truth is, the South hates and despises the Fed Govt to this very day due to the loss in the Civil War. It has been passed down from generation to generation. They hate our greatest president Lincoln, while the rest of the US has him as our greatest that saved this very nation from destruction. They don't see it that way. I'll bet if you polled them, a majority of Southerners would say they wish the Confederacy had prevailed in the Civil War. Given the results of such a poll, is it any wonder why the rest of the country feels the way it does. Even when I visited places as far from the South as Portland, OR, the vast majority of Americans know exactly how Southerners feel about this country.

And yes, they continually vote against their own self interests because they associate the democrats with the hated Fed Govt.
Civil War again? What? No... the majority of us black southerners don't wish that the confederacy prevailed. The US gov employs thousands of southerners here in the south. What do you think of the northerners that love the confederate flag? I see plenty when I travel outside the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.