U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 05:51 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,440,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I also have another question.

Do Yankees who move to the South ever end up adopting the southern accent permanently? In other words, is it possible to "learn" the southern accent over time? Has anyone actually done this?

Gotta admit, even when I was in Charlotte for a month, living with my native southern roommate, I was starting to pick up on it myself. However, when my parents in Connecticut started to notice it, they reacted strangely and said things like, "do you really want to talk like that?!"

Anyway, when I was trying to learn it myself, I realized that it's sort of a mindset that I had to condition myself in order to talk the same as other southerners. I had to change my default state of mind to think "country" so that I could master the country accent. And it helped. I also had a friend from a small town called Clover, SC who tried teaching it to me. He kept telling me, "just say it slower," which really helped. His accent was THICK and he still uses the word "yonder" all the time LOL. Whenever he said the word "right," it sounded like "rawwwwwt."

What southerners have to understand though, is that it can be challenging for a northerner to understand what a southerner is saying sometimes, especially if the accent is thick. But to my knowledge, southerners NEVER have difficulty understanding a northerner speak, ever.
Ok, wait. So now you're going to tell us that you actually TRIED to learn how to speak like a southerner, after spending the last several weeks and months on this forum ridiculing and reviling the southern accent with such condescending hatred and contempt? Umm...do you even remember that you have said here probably at least a dozen times that you "had" to get out of the South after only one month because you couldn't stand being around people with southern accents? I mean, seriously, do you even remember what you said yesterday?

You are either a troll with a lot of time on your hands who enjoys playing games with the folks on this forum, or you are a young man in serious need of someone to help you sort out what is going on in your head. Instead of worrying about where you should move when you love/hate/love/hate anywhere and everywhere on a day to day basis, why not spend some time trying to figure out what you are all about?

This has gotten to be beyond bizarre.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:52 PM

15,104 posts, read 31,467,926 times
Quote:
I also have another question.

Do Yankees who move to the South ever end up adopting the southern accent permanently? In other words, is it possible to "learn" the southern accent over time? Has anyone actually done this?
Transplants will usually start using Southern words and expressions, but it's still not really a Southern accent. If you listen to some news anchors on CNN (based in Atlanta), you'll notice some of them say "y'all" sometimes, but it's still fairly neutral sounding.

Another thing, even though the Southern accent sounds slow, a lot of times we cut out words or replace words with others that have fewer syllables. We almost always leave off the 'g' in words that end with 'ing'. So even though we sound slower, we're actually getting our point across faster (if you can understand us).

Old 11-29-2014, 06:05 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times
Quote:
Well, in my opinion, Republicans are backwards. They believe in keeping things the same forever and think that the economy and world works like a machine. They think that it's okay to have religious things mixed in with public policy and do things like displaying the ten commandments in a government building.
IMO Democrats are pretentious and think they're always right, better, and need to change everyone's mind to what's "right" even though what's "right" is just their opinion.

For so-called tolerant people, many liberals actually lack tolerance when it comes to things THEY don't like.

That's just my opinion though.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:13 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
Yet another C-D thread created for the sole purpose of bashing the South and insulting people -- good people, Godly people, loving people, caring people, patriotic people, some of the finest people alive on this earth. When you look down your noses at Southerners for being poor, uneducated and religious, you're passing judgment and insulting my ancestors -- and most particlularly my grandparents, who were two of the most righteous and saintly people who ever lived. So pardon me for stating here, on the record, that all of you hate Southerners frankly disgust me.

But at the same time, I feel deeply sorry for you for being so shallow and ignorant. Who cares about Southern "stereotypes?" None of that makes Southerners "bad." I will never understand why some people on this site insist on thinking they are so much better than others. Because I've got news for you: You're not. Arrogance is one of the least flattering and most unpleasant attributes that a person can show. Yet there's no shortage of that among the people on this site, and on this thread.

Today, I attended the funeral for the mother of a childhood friend. This Godly woman was one of the sweetest, kindest, most caring and giving individuals I have ever known. The service was held at a Southern Baptist church. It was a beautiful and moving tribute to this woman's life (not unlike the many Southern funerals which I find myself attending more frequently these days, including that of my dear father earlier this year). It occurs to me that this woman probably fits all the stereotypes that so many of you on this thread ridicule with such unapologetic abandon. Your level of hate is simply mind-boggling to me. There no excuse for it. Have you any idea how truly ugly it is?

I'm just sick and tired of all this ugliness and pettiness. You people need to get out of your little "me" comfort zones and discover how wonderful humankind is -- including Southerners!!! Self-educate yourselves and stop being so vain and loathsome.

Last edited by Newsboy; 11-29-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,279,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What'd they see that was so shocking?
Honestly, it was just a typical southern town in an area a little more remote. It was kind of poor and rundown, so they assumed it was a bit on the redneck side. Farming supplies stores, lots of big pickup trucks, fruit stands, gas stations selling fried chicken, etc. Like I said, just a typical southern country town about 30 miles outside of Raleigh. They barely leave the Raleigh/Durham metro, so they're not used to rural NC and small towns.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:20 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,080,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ok, then give us a stereotype attributed to the South that is false, from a comparative perspective.

Is the South poorer, more conservative, less educated, less economically mobile, more violent, fatter, less healthy, more religious? All yes, from a comparative perspective.
By in large the region is all of those things, but only ever so slightly. Some areas of certain cities and states actually lead over northern and coastal areas.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:21 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,080,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yet another C-D thread created for the sole purpose of bashing the South and insulting people -- good people, Godly people, loving people, caring people, patriotic people, some of the finest people alive on this earth. When you look down your noses at Southerners for being poor, uneducated and religious, you're passing judgment and insulting my ancestors -- and most particlularly my grandparents, who were two of the most righteous and saintly people who ever lived. So pardon me for stating here, on the record, that all of you hate Southerners frankly disgust me.

But at the same time, I feel deeply sorry for you for being so shallow and ignorant. Who cares about Southern "stereotypes?" None of that makes Southerners "bad." I will never understand why some people on this site insist on thinking they are so much better than others. Because I've got news for you: You're not. Arrogance is one of the least flattering and most unpleasant attributes that a person can show. Yet there's no shortage of that among the people on this site, and on this thread.

Today, I attended the funeral for the mother of a childhood friend. This Godly woman was one of the sweetest, kindest, most caring and giving individuals I have ever known. The service was held at a Southern Baptist church. It was a beautiful and moving tribute to this woman's life (not unlike the many Southern funerals which I find myself attending more frequently these days, including that of my dear father earlier this year). It occurs to me that this woman probably fits all the stereotypes that so many of you on this thread ridicule with such unapologetic abandon. Your level of hate is simply mind-boggling to me. There no excuse for it. Have you any idea how truly ugly it is?

I'm just sick and tired of all this ugliness and pettiness. You people need to get out of your little "me" comfort zones and discover how wonderful humankind is -- including Southerners!!! Self-educate yourselves and stop being so vain and loathsome.
I did not create this thread just to give people an opportunity to bash the south, they took that up on their own. And you're unable to read the OP.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:47 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I did not create this thread just to give people an opportunity to bash the south, they took that up on their own. And you're unable to read the OP.
When you created this thread, you knew precisely where it was going to lead. Don't try to pretend otherwise.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,816,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
When you created this thread, you knew precisely where it was going to lead. Don't try to pretend otherwise.
Calm down. Can you read the OP's mind?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 14,362,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Transplants will usually start using Southern words and expressions, but it's still not really a Southern accent. If you listen to some news anchors on CNN (based in Atlanta), you'll notice some of them say "y'all" sometimes, but it's still fairly neutral sounding.

Another thing, even though the Southern accent sounds slow, a lot of times we cut out words or replace words with others that have fewer syllables. We almost always leave off the 'g' in words that end with 'ing'. So even though we sound slower, we're actually getting our point across faster (if you can understand us).
Just my experience, and I've been told I'm good at picking up accents, but as a former midwesterner, when I moved from one part of TN to the extreme opposite end end of the state the natives here didn't peg me as a 'yankee', they just assumed I was from somewhere else in the south.
Thinking about it more I think I stopped hearing "you're not from around here are you" after about 7-10 years in the same city, so I guess with enough time it's possible to pick up a fairly convincing accent. When I go back to my home state to visit friends and family, that's when I hear "you're not from around here are you" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or