Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Virginia is indeed a southern state, it was home to the confederate capital at Richmond. Much of DC suburbs spills over into a southern state. All of Florida is a southern state, you cant get any farther south than Florida.
Yes, but you have to remember that this is the alternate reality of C-D, where actual reality doesn't apply. According to the gospel of C-D revisionism, it no longer matters that states like Florida and Virginia have this centuries-long history of being Southern states, since so many transplanted Northerners now live there and the nice, comfy stereotype of Cotton plantations, Evangelical Christianity, and long, drawling accents no longer apply. Nevermind geography or all that history. It means nothing now. Pretty soon, Texas and North Carolina will no longer be in the South either, according to C-D group-think. There are already more than a few threads claiming this has already happened to Texas.

I just have to wonder, if all of a sudden New Hampshire somehow became a magnet for Southern transplants, and in a period of, let's say 20 years... so many Southerners move to NH that they become the majority of the population there, and nearly all traces of traditional New England culture disappear... will NH no longer be considered part of New England?

Old 11-28-2014, 07:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Another thing that works against the South's image is the frequent display of the confederate flag. It represents racism, plain and simple. Southerners may deny that and say it represents southern heritage or something like that. But to the rest of the nation, it's perceived as support for racism. So, whenever I see someone with a confederate flag, it means they're racist.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Another thing that works against the South's image is the frequent display of the confederate flag. It represents racism, plain and simple. Southerners may deny that and say it represents southern heritage or something like that. But to the rest of the nation, it's perceived as support for racism. So, whenever I see someone with a confederate flag, it means they're racist.
Avoid Idaho then. You'll see about a million more of those flags flying there than you will in most Southern states.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:36 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Ummm, yeah, about moving south....just don't, it will never work.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ummm, yeah, about moving south....just don't, it will never work.
It's not like it bothers me. I was just saying. Geez.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It's not like it bothers me. I was just saying. Geez.
Racism doesn't bother you? According to your earlier post, the confederate flag solely represents racism, and anyone who flies the flag is an inherent racist. Now you're saying it doesn't bother you?

Um, ok.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:01 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
When will the south shed its poor stereotypical image?

As long as ignorant people exists it will never shed stereotypical images. Look at some of the answers you get here. Ignorance prevails.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Racism doesn't bother you? According to your earlier post, the confederate flag solely represents racism, and anyone who flies the flag is an inherent racist. Now you're saying it doesn't bother you?

Um, ok.
That's not what he said at all... LOL

Old 11-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
That's not what he said at all... LOL
Actually, it kind of is....

Quote:

Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
When will the south shed its poor stereotypical image?

As long as ignorant people exists it will never shed stereotypical images. Look at some of the answers you get here. Ignorance prevails.

Yeah...that was really my reaction too...lol...like, who cares if people stereotype the south?...that just shows that they themselves are ignorant and small minded if theyre going to form an opinion of somewhere based on some half ass effort to actually verify their information. Hell, you think some southerners dont stereotype people from each of the other regions?...but you dont see anyone sitting around gnashing their teeth and pulling their hair out to find a way to "shed" those stereotypes..so i say let the uninformed stereotype all they want...thats a poor reflection on them, not the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.