Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times

Advertisements

I just thought I'd drop this off here:

Charleston, SC Housing Info

McLean, VA Housing Info

Housing in McLean looks to be about 2.5 to 3 times as expensive as housing in Charleston.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:37 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I have trouble understanding northern fast talkers. I don't hesitate to tell the fast talkers that I hear Southern as well as speak it. There, now you have a little more knowledge.

Some places in the northeast have the most difficult accents in America to understand. Its easy to understand the plain flat Midwestern accents found in Indiana, but listen to the thick New England ones. I was once in Fall River Massachusetts and I honestly could not understand them. I had to have them slow down and repeat themselves. That irritated them, and northeast people have very little patience for outsiders. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that, I simply could not understand them. Yes some of their accents are VERY tough to get. I have been to 46 states, and I have never had much trouble with understanding accents from all over, but some of those coastal New England ones were something. New Jersey is very thick too.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Ah, an ad hominem attack. A sure sign that you have no substance to offer.

I've been living in the South for the past 2 years or so, btw and it has given me some perspective. Looking forward to getting out.
Except it was never my intention to offer any "substance". You're reading too much into what I said. Why on Earth would I want to lend anything of substance to this ludicrous pissing match of a thread? What a waste that would be. People obviously have their minds made up and aren't budging. Besides, how was your post offering anything "substantial"? All I saw was a very broad generalization with no actual substance to it. That, and this really wacked out notion that the South is somehow competing with Mexico and China in a conscious effort to become "third world". How could I NOT make fun of that?

I just found it humorous that you said what you said, living where you live. Sorry, it's just that I have this knee-jerk reaction to ridicule broad generalizations whenever I see them, no matter which region is on the receiving end. Sue me.

No need to get defensive, since it wasn't an actual attack. Read some of these other posts if you want to see attacks. This whole thread is a joke. A really bad joke at that.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, in my opinion, Republicans are backwards. They believe in keeping things the same forever and think that the economy and world works like a machine. They think that it's okay to have religious things mixed in with public policy and do things like displaying the ten commandments in a government building.
Really?

I think you mean that SOME Republicans think that way. Just like SOME Democrats believe in giving amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.

Honestly...generalizations like yours are one reason why people feel they can't "reach across the aisle." When they know the person on the other side is so closed minded and judgmental, it really puts a damper on communication.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Honestly, it was just a typical southern town in an area a little more remote. It was kind of poor and rundown, so they assumed it was a bit on the redneck side. Farming supplies stores, lots of big pickup trucks, fruit stands, gas stations selling fried chicken, etc. Like I said, just a typical southern country town about 30 miles outside of Raleigh. They barely leave the Raleigh/Durham metro, so they're not used to rural NC and small towns.
Apparently they never traveled through northern England either - now THAT'S country!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Ah, an ad hominem attack. A sure sign that you have no substance to offer.

I've been living in the South for the past 2 years or so, btw and it has given me some perspective. Looking forward to getting out.
Can we help you pack?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:32 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Can we help you pack?

LOL. I am sure they would gladly help him/ her leave town.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:41 AM

28 posts, read 29,545 times
Why does southern have to be a bad thing? Just because someone doesn't have the cookie cutter education people in others parts have doesn't mean they are stupid. In my years of dealing with customers, people in the south have the best, most friendliest attitudes. You know the ones that usually got "beat" as children and are "poor".

If you ever lived in the south you would know Southerners have many skills people elsewhere tend to lack. I love how college educated people brag about how smart they are, but they can't change the oil in their car, install a ceiling fan or repair their computer. Nor have they ever shot a gun, gutted a fish or drove a motorcycle.

An older women in the south may not have a degree in child education, but she knows how to do canning, sew and has raised 6 kids. Oh yeah and she actually can cook!

Real life skills will come in handy if and when this society collapses. It will be the "rednecks" that come to recuse you from the flood and will have the true survival skills. That 8 years of college and that $400 suit will do nothing.

Finally it's a myth that everyone in the south is poor. Many have an 800+ credit score and live well on their 10 acres of land.

Last edited by bassman21; 11-30-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I just thought I'd drop this off here:

Charleston, SC Housing Info

McLean, VA Housing Info

Housing in McLean looks to be about 2.5 to 3 times as expensive as housing in Charleston.
Apparently you have to be über rich to live and shop in Charelston.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Apparently they never traveled through northern England either - now THAT'S country!
Haha, same with Wales! And yes, they are from southern England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.