U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM

65 posts, read 76,993 times

Advertisements

So we were thinking...
What makes Phoenix Phoenix?
The only thing we could come up with (having never been there) is a retirement area, much like FL - but a morph of LA/So Cal and the northeast & midwest.
We were thinking that everyone has an idea of NYC, LA, SF, Seattle, Miami - at least we do, and it seems that those have the most known "personalities" - ie, they are known!
For example:
NYC - very fast paced, loud, always something going on, animated
Seattle - techie, "whitebread", laid back, hipster
But what about the other major metros?
What about Milwaukee? Blue collar... But what else defines it? (where are you cheese plate? )
What makes say OKC different from KC? Or either from Minneapolis. We know nothing about those cities!
What makes them them?
Also Philly. And Boston.
Not talking accents, food, weather, physical stuff - we're talking "vibe".
For instance, Chicago. We would say it's similar to NY, but toned down. Has similar "huge old city" vibe but midwestern style. A bit slower, calmer, not as in your face. Not as 24/7, not as crazy.
But what makes Philly & Boston different from NY?
The general "feel" of the place.
And the BIG ones (heh) - Dallas & Houston.
Other than "Texan", "cowboy", "oil", "southern" we know nothing about them.
What's the difference between Dallas & Houston? And even San Antonio?
As in, is one slower paced, ruder, friendlier, noisier, etc.
What defines Cleveland? And how does it differ from Columbus?
Everyone can describe NOLA, but what about St Louis?
Sound off CDers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 PM

522 posts, read 555,054 times
Washington DC:

There's a big commuter vibe. Not many live there but they sure do work there. It's very exclave-like. Politically, DC is not located within any state and you can feel that when you go there. It's bustling but not NYC bustling. DC is bustling with power not people.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:03 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,829,223 times
NYC is the center of the world. Something always going on. And Spiderman.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,382,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Washington DC:

There's a big commuter vibe. Not many live there but they sure do work there. It's very exclave-like. Politically, DC is not located within any state and you can feel that when you go there. It's bustling but not NYC bustling. DC is bustling with power not people.
It is bustling with people, not just power. And I wouldn't say "not many live there" considering it's a city of nearly 650,000 that also swells up to over a million people during the workweek, probably stays around 700k during the weekends when people are out having fun, not that you can't do that during the workweek. Just sayin.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:44 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Washington DC:

Spoken like a true suburbanite. Not many live there? DC's population is 646K and just recently passed the charming little burg known as Boston in terms of population. It also bustles with people if one pauses from their scurrying back to the 'burbs to take notice. As a recent 10 year resident of both the Dupont Circle and Eastern Market neighborhoods I have a pretty good handle on the bustling factor.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:17 AM

65 posts, read 76,993 times
What about "the charming little burg known as Boston"? heh
How is it different from DC?
How is each different from NY?
And what about the "feeling" of OKC? KC? Minneapolis?
Maybe everyone pick a city that you live in &/or like a lot and describe it to those who have never been there?

Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,810,356 times
Quote:
Washington DC:

Yeah people don't live in DC. That makes sense.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 AM

404 posts, read 737,533 times
Boston has an educated, intellectual, liberal vibe. I think schools and hospitals. Also big drinking and sports vibe. Much more so than DC imo. NYC kind of has everything, so the big separator is Boston has a more small town vibe.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 PM

522 posts, read 555,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Spoken like a true suburbanite. Not many live there? DC's population is 646K and just recently passed the charming little burg known as Boston in terms of population. It also bustles with people if one pauses from their scurrying back to the 'burbs to take notice. As a recent 10 year resident of both the Dupont Circle and Eastern Market neighborhoods I have a pretty good handle on the bustling factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yeah people don't live in DC. That makes sense.
Jesus, you people need to get some manners. If you don't agree with me than move on, perhaps? Everybody has a different sense of "vibe", and I can't help it that that's what I felt when I go there. And no, DC does NOT bustle with people the way New York does.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,810,356 times
Quote:
Jesus, you people need to get some manners. If you don't agree with me than move on, perhaps? Everybody has a different sense of "vibe", and I can't help it that that's what I felt when I go there. And no, DC does NOT bustle with people the way New York does.
I didn't come off rude. Just because you're ignorant does not mean I need manners. Now I'm being rude, see the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or