U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 11,467 times

Advertisements

Why are midwestern cities (Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Gary, East St Louis, St Louis, Cincinnati, etc.) so dangerous?

How come there's such a high concentration in this region? Is it due to the Rust Belt as the further west you go the safer it becomes?

So what region (or subregion) would you classify as the safest?

Last edited by PapaJohnathan.; 11-28-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM

41 posts, read 42,382 times
I'd definitely take Chicago of those you listed. Maybe Cincinnati as far as crime, but it's not as interesting in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJohnathan. View Post
Why are midwestern cities (Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Gary, East St Louis, St Louis, Cincinnati, etc.) so dangerous?
You forgot about Flint, Lansing, and Cleveland. The Westside of Milwaukee is pretty sketchy too.

The reason is because poor folks from the South moved there for industry jobs between 50 and 100 years ago. Due to racist lending practices, many were not able to buy property. The jobs left, and the workers were left without a nest egg, thus starting a cycle of poverty. Issues like a poor public education system, mass incarceration, and prevalence of drug magnify these problems.

It's not just the Midwest, there are just as many high-crime cities in the Deep South: Memphis, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Jackson, Birmingham, Mobile, Little Rock etc. Houston and Nashville are more dangerous than many people think, too.

By crime rate, New York City is the safest city in the country.

By region, the Northern Plains and the Interior Northwest, excluding Spokane, would be the safest. Boise, Billings, Missoula, SLC, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Provo, Rapid City, Omaha, Grand Forks, Fargo, Sioux Falls are all low crime cities.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
You forgot about Flint, Lansing, and Cleveland. The Westside of Milwaukee is pretty sketchy too.

The reason is because poor folks from the South moved there for industry jobs between 50 and 100 years ago. Due to racist lending practices, many were not able to buy property. The jobs left, and the workers were left without a nest egg, thus starting a cycle of poverty. Issues like a poor public education system, mass incarceration, and prevalence of drug magnify these problems.

It's not just the Midwest, there are just as many high-crime cities in the Deep South: Memphis, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Jackson, Birmingham, Mobile, Little Rock etc. Houston and Nashville are more dangerous than many people think, too.

By crime rate, New York City is the safest city in the country.

By region, the Northern Plains and the Interior Northwest, excluding Spokane, would be the safest. Boise, Billings, Missoula, SLC, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Provo, Rapid City, Omaha, Grand Forks, Fargo, Sioux Falls are all low crime cities.
What are the safest midwestern cities IYO?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
What are the safest midwestern cities IYO?
Des Moines, Madison, Duluth, Ann Arbor, and Rochester (MN) are the safest.

Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Grand Rapids are okay. They all certainty have rough spots, but I wouldn't consider any of them to be dangerous.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Des Moines, Madison, Duluth, and Rochester (MN) are the safest.

Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, and Columbus are okay. They all certainty have rough spots, but I would consider any of them to be dangerous.
And the safest cities in the interior Northwest (Spokane and Boise?)

Old 11-28-2014, 03:36 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,751,604 times
Quote:
I don't know about Boise, but Spokane can be pretty sketchy. Nothing on the level of East St. Louis or Detroit, but hardly what I'd call "safe".

Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't know about Boise, but Spokane can be pretty sketchy. Nothing on the level of East St. Louis or Detroit, but hardly what I'd call "safe".
My grandparents were from Spokane (never visited) but they did say that there are a lot of methheads... related? Is Seattle safe?

My main question is: what low cost of living places are low for crime?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Spokane is the exception, though nearby Pullman-Moscow is pretty safe.

But, yes, Boise is safe. As is Billings.

There's also a great website that has really extensive crime statistics about every city in the country. It's called city-data.com!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Spokane is the exception, though nearby Pullman-Moscow is pretty safe.

But, yes, Boise is safe. As is Billings.

There's also a great website that has really extensive crime statistics about every city in the country. It's called city-data.com!
I just stumbled upon that section, thanks! I thought this was just a forum. Great resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or