Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 13,843 times

Advertisements

To give you a summary of my personality:
* Education: BA History from a Public Ivy. 3.6 GPA.
* Career field (intended): politics, marketing, finance, or academia.
* Interests: music (indie rock, alternative), sports (football, soccer), and history (Prohibition era is my main interest and foreign policy).
* Political views: conservative (but progressive on most issues apart from foreign policy).
* Religious views: irreligious right now but I wish to become more religious.
* MBTI type: ISTJ which means: "ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ."
* Ideal Friday night: going to a coffee shop, movies, dive bar, or a gig.

To give you a summary of what I want:
* Crime: low preferably but moderate is the maximum I can deal with.
* Weather: fall foliage, snow in winter, rains more than its sunny, overcast most of the time, hot in summer but not really humid.
* People: likeminded, conservative, sociable but not oppressively so, approachable.
* Nightlife: hardly any clubs (hate em), coffee shops, cool bars, dive bars, and music concerts.
* Dating: I like girls who have respect for themselves, dress conservatively and act conservatively.
* Sports: football team nearby.

anY ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 06:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,592 times
Salt Lake City
Colorado Springs
Boise
anyplace in Wyoming

Old 11-28-2014, 06:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Grand Rapids
Indianapolis

Old 11-28-2014, 07:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,286 times
I think Louisville would be perfect. Though it's center-left, it's in a conservative state. There're great coffee shops, funky dive bars, good food, and an amazing local music scene. If you like football, the University of Louisville is great too. You're also an hour and a half for Indy and Cincinnati to cheer on the Cults or the Bangles.

It's lush and covered with big deciduous tress. You get four seasons, but it's not as cold as the Midwest nor as hot as the Deep South. Though, you will get some gnarly thunderstorms in the summer.

Also, given your earlier post, crime doesn't seem to be much of a problem there either.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-28-2014 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Subject-verb agreement is good!

Old 11-29-2014, 04:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Cincinnati would be a great fit and nails your criteria in my opinion. Some will say it has high crime but like most cities with a higher crime rate, it's predominate in areas where you would never find a reason to set foot in.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 5,795 times
My free advice:

1) There are no "public ivies" in the real world - only Ivy league schools, very good private schools, a select few very good public schools, and generally the rest. Since you probably went to a good public school, you should use that recruiting network and familiarity to guide your search. Yes, it does limit you a bit geographically, but that is what you signed up for.

2) If you have choices outside the catchment of your public school, you should move to the place that offers you the best job, with a bias to NYC or Boston if you are serious about a career in finance or marketing. In this case, a good goal should be to get great work experience, eventually get a graduate degree (preferably an MBA from a top school) and later in life live in the comfortable mid-six figures in the eventual place of your choosing.

3) Don't move to the Midwest. Ever. Unless it is Chicago, Minneapolis, or you want to be a transplant politician.

4) You can live a happy, "center-right ISTJ" life in any major city, so don't necessarily go looking for places that are "conservative" or "not oppressively sociable". Big cities have neighborhoods, they are different, and you can chose whom to consort with. I do get the feeling that San Francisco proper would freak you out a bit.

5) Instead of picking a city based on "crime rate", ignore said crime rate and focus on living in a safe neighborhood. You may find that crime is often concentrated in neighborhoods you have no business in visiting, and it becomes a non-factor in your life.

6) People change over time and life experiences - don't paint any one city with a brush. For you, I would generally say that as you get older, get a family and start making well into six-figures, you will find your professional friends will be of a similar ilk, regardless of your city. Most married, college-educated people who earn six-figures are pretty much where you are politically, and part of the fun of a city is being around people who think and act different. Enjoy it, don't be scared of it.

7) Don't base your decision off an online post. Especially my own.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:43 PM

522 posts, read 694,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJohnathan. View Post
To give you a summary of my personality:
* Education: BA History from a Public Ivy. 3.6 GPA.
* Career field (intended): politics, marketing, finance, or academia.
* Interests: music (indie rock, alternative), sports (football, soccer), and history (Prohibition era is my main interest and foreign policy).
* Political views: conservative (but progressive on most issues apart from foreign policy).
* Religious views: irreligious right now but I wish to become more religious.
* MBTI type: ISTJ which means: "ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty. Punctuality is a watchword of the ISTJ. The secretary, clerk, or business(wo)man by whom others set their clocks is likely to be an ISTJ."
* Ideal Friday night: going to a coffee shop, movies, dive bar, or a gig.

To give you a summary of what I want:
* Crime: low preferably but moderate is the maximum I can deal with.
* Weather: fall foliage, snow in winter, rains more than its sunny, overcast most of the time, hot in summer but not really humid.
* People: likeminded, conservative, sociable but not oppressively so, approachable.
* Nightlife: hardly any clubs (hate em), coffee shops, cool bars, dive bars, and music concerts.
* Dating: I like girls who have respect for themselves, dress conservatively and act conservatively.
* Sports: football team nearby.

anY ideas?
Yay! A fellow Myers Briggs fan. :-) My father is an ISTJ so I have a pretty good grasp on how they function. I would say maybe Salt Lake City. It has a conservative influence from the Mormons, but still not too conservative. Not many bars, though. And I don't believe they have many overcast days there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.