U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 PM

273 posts, read 349,112 times

Advertisements

1. Columbus, OH
2. Marysville, OH
3. Chillicothe, OH
4. Wilmington, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 01:13 PM

401 posts, read 384,109 times
1. Long Island, NY- Grew up here. It was boring, made great friends, but I guess everything was so close and everything is safe (besides maybe like 1-2 neighborhoods per every 20+ miles).

2. Philadelphia, PA- It was really fun. Didn't live in a very "safe" area. Crime did happen once in awhile, I became a lot more street smart and cautious of what I am doing and where not to walk, etc. Great experience nonetheless

Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 PM

11,710 posts, read 6,293,874 times
1) NYC - those people who complain about the extraordinary "high cost of living" in this city have clearly not mastered the city (yes, housing can be a pain, but you can find some "reasonable" accommodations in decent areas to this date, and many people often refer to the cost of living outside of housing as well when coming to such conclusions). For those looking to find cheap dining/grocery options, I say leave Whole Foods/Trader Joe's (Trader Joe's has some great deals on some items, but they are also much more expensive than some other places for other items) and shop at the large supermarkets in ethnic enclaves such as along 8th Avenue in Brooklyn's main Chinatown (think Fei Long Market on 8th Avenue, which is where my family shops and subsequently saves 50% on our weekly grocery bill as a result); the restaurants in these areas are often much cheaper, but just as fresh if not fresher, than other areas of the City, though you don't need to go to the ethnic enclaves to find cheap dining, but I digress. What puts NYC so high on my list is its robust public transportation system, which runs 24/7, which a few exceptions for several lines, and is cheaper than some of the leading competition.

2) Washington, D.C. - high marks for many of the same reasons that NYC receives high marks from me, but this is NYC on a smaller scale.

3) New Orleans - while the weather is great here, as is the general cost of living, I absolutely hate NOLA's public transportation system and, more importantly, don't like having to constantly look over my shoulder when walking around town for fear of being mugged.

Note, for my list, I only listed cities where I've lived that have a somewhat decent, at a minimum, public transportation system (i.e. I can get from point A to point B via public transportation, even if its a pain in the butt to do so); I've also lived in Upstate NY and Northern Michigan, but those places fail the criteria listed above. Although I have a driver's license, I don't own a car and so a city/town without public transportation doesn't have such a high quality of life for me, especially if one needs a car to really explore the area.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:04 PM

13,587 posts, read 22,036,711 times
OK...I like this thread.

By "places lived," what is the minimum criteria, or amount of time? It seems some are using very short stints or study abroad locations...

Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 PM

25,029 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK...I like this thread.

By "places lived," what is the minimum criteria, or amount of time? It seems some are using very short stints or study abroad locations...
At least best part of a year. I stayed in Carmel, California for a little less than a year, but long enough to know that I liked it. When I win the lottery, I'll move to the area--but not in the tourist crazy town.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK...I like this thread.

I think you decide that for yourself! I don't think there's any hard and fast rule so the best barometer is your own.

If we go by my voter registration then I've actually never lived anywhere except Jacksonville, FL. Same for my drivers license. If you go by where I've paid utilities or other housing-related bills, then I've lived in Jax, Gainesville, Chicago, DC, Indy and Miami. If you go by where I've lived for at least one month straight, then there are a few others I could add. But the easiest thing is to judge where I truly feel my "home" is at any given time, and that would make the list.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,774,932 times
Too lazy to repost...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/51144214-post148.html

Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,197,704 times
1. Palo Alto, CA-- Where I grew up. Lots to do, great culture, good weather.

2. Berkeley, CA-- Lots of culture, lots to do, good weather. Sometimes a little too congested for me.

3. Columbus, OH-- Nice, balanced city. A little low on cultural opportunities, but interesting neighborhoods.

4. Milwaukee, WI-- Interesting city with the good and bad of urban life. Lots of cultural amenities. Terrible weather.

5. Buffalo, NY-- Interesting city with the good and bad of urban life. Good cultural opportunities for city this size.

6. Providence, RI-- Interesting city with the full range of urban life. Limited cultural opportunities.

7. Princeton, NJ-- Cute place, relaxed vibe. The culture was geared toward rich, white people with cars. An hour from NYC.

8. Central Alabama-- Small suitcase college town with little to do. Relaxed vibe and nice natural setting, but sleepy.

For this list I only mentioned places in the U.S. I also lived in Madrid for a while, and I would place my experience there after Berkeley and before Columbus.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM

680 posts, read 464,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Me two!
so am eye!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Since we're going off of where we lived, I'm going off of my personal experience.

NYC - EVERYTHING at your fingertips (jobs, culture, schools, opportunities, etc), not just the city but beaches & mtns are nearby.

DC/SF - great economies with lots of opportunities to make it, educated populations, great housing stock, great public transportation with lots of greenery/parkland/beaches nearby. DC also has the advantage of the NE corridor for amazing quick trips to nearby major cities. SF has the edge with amazing hiking/scenery.

Chicago - I would include it with the above but I can't do those winters. It's a big minus for me.

Atlanta - least interesting city and local culture to me, hardest to live in without a car, and with less amenities then the above cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or