U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:22 AM

194 posts, read 176,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I actually found Kentucky and Indiana to be very similar. Though, there's no place in Indiana quite like Lexington, and there's no place in Kentucky quite like Gary, I found the people in both states to be very much a like. They look alike, talk alike. Obesity and smoking are big problems in both states. There are awesome doughnuts and pork to be eaten in both states. Indianapolis and Louisville has a lot of similarities IMO. Both are conservative, but not as conservative as the Deep South or the Great Plains.

Though Kentucky is known for its beautiful mountains and pastures, some parts of Western Kentucky are surprisingly ugly. Indiana is stereotyped as being a very ugly state, and the Northern half most definitely is, but Southern Indiana is gorgeous. Google "Brown County State Park," and see for yourself.
Indianapolis and Louisville are very different culturally, linguistically, and historically. Indiana also has very different history and demographics from Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 11:22 AM

582 posts, read 776,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
most of Virginia is very different from most of Maryland.
I'd have to disagree. Sure, you can easily make the case that VA is more like NC, and MD is more like NJ or whatever, but VA and MD really aren't all that different.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,811,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I'd have to disagree. Sure, you can easily make the case that VA is more like NC, and MD is more like NJ or whatever, but VA and MD really aren't all that different.
Yes they are. Only one region in Virginia is like Maryland. There is no where in Maryland with the Appalachian culture in southwest VA. There is no place in MD that's like the Richmond area or Richmond. The only truly southern place in Maryland is the eastern shore and Virginia beach is different as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yes they are. Only one region in Virginia is like Maryland. There is no where in Maryland with the Appalachian culture in southwest VA. There is no place in MD that's like the Richmond area or Richmond. The only truly southern place in Maryland is the eastern shore and Virginia beach is different as well.
The Eastern Shore and Southern MD are only slightly different than Tidewater VA.
The DC suburbs of MD are only slightly different than VA's.
Western MD is only slightly different than the Shenandoah Valley.

MD and VA are different, sure. I'm not denying that. I just don't think they're different enough to warrant being included in a list of "bordering states most different from each other". I get the impression that the idea that they are is more inspired by the hardline approach to the north/south discussion, rather than actual experience with the states.

I've spent near my entire life in MD and VA, been in every region in both of them, and IMHO if someone crosses between MD and Virginia at any point and feels a culture shift just across the Potomac, they're being dramatic or can't look past the idea they "entered the south/north".

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 12-02-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,266,381 times
Virginia and Maryland have their similarities, but for the most part, Virginia is more similar to North Carolina IMO. Kind of like North Carolina being more similar to Virginia than South Carolina, at least in my book. The Richmond area is similar to the Research Triangle and Triad regions of North Carolina, just as one example. Both NC and VA are Upper South states, Maryland is Mid-Atlantic/lower Northeastern. Again, kind of like South Carolina being a Deep South state while NC is Upper South for the most part.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Virginia and Maryland have their similarities, but for the most part, Virginia is more similar to North Carolina IMO.
I completely agree.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,135 times
Here's video of a guy actually at the Colorado/Oklahoma border line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzSCTzv97-s

Old 12-02-2014, 12:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,135 times
The Nebraska and Missouri border is also very forgotten.

The Missouri and Oklahoma border would be just like the Colorado and Oklahoma border if it wasn't for Interstate 44.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM

53 posts, read 46,480 times
Maryland and West Virginia

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,535,831 times
Oregon/Nevada. There's literally no population at the Oregon/Nevada border. And large cultural/geographical differences where most people reside in those states.

Montana/North Dakota and Wyoming/ South Dakota.

Kentucky/Illinois/Ohio/Indiana. Kentucky is a Appalachian/Upper South state with the majority of people being of British Isles ancestry. While Ohio/In/Ill are solidly midwestern with a large number of German and Polish descendants.

Kansas/Oklahoma. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this on the thread yet. Oklahoma is very similar to Texas, while Kansas is more similar to Nebraska and Missouri.

Georgia/Alabama/Florida. Yeah Northern Florida is similar to Georgia/Alabama. But south of Orlando is a different story culturally and topographically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or