U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How accurate is the information gathered from this forum when compared to your moving experience?
The area I moved to was vasty worse than described on the forum. 0 0%
The area I moved to was mildly worse than described on the forum. 0 0%
The area I moved to was as described on the forum. 0 0%
The area I moved to was mildly better than described on the forum. 2 50.00%
The area I moved to was vasty better than described on the forum. 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2014, 03:01 PM

41 posts, read 66,536 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing about people's experience who've asked about an area on this forum and then moved to said location. How does reality compare with the information obtained from the forum? I thought this would be an interesting poll. Please only answer if you've researched an area/city on this forum, and subsequently moved there. I use the words "better" and "worse" in reference to very general satisfaction with your new location.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:48 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,765,944 times
I don't use information from these forums to inform or influence my decisions on where to move or live. I'm just here mainly for the entertainment factor. Most of what I read in here is a bunch of biased, subjective, ignorant, inaccurate tripe anyway. A small amount of it is thoughtful, insightful, objective, and well-informed... so every once in a while I learn something. It's rare though.

I have a feeling that if I let what I read in these forums guide my decisions on where to live, my life would become a miserable wreck.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 66,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't use information from these forums to inform or influence my decisions on where to move or live. I'm just here mainly for the entertainment factor. Most of what I read in here is a bunch of biased, subjective, ignorant, inaccurate tripe anyway. A small amount of it is thoughtful, insightful, objective, and well-informed... so every once in a while I learn something. It's rare though.

I have a feeling that if I let what I read in these forums guide my decisions on where to live, my life would become a miserable wreck.
I would agree that basing one's decision entirely on a forum is a recipe for disaster, that being said, I do think some useful information can be ascertained, and I find the actual City Data portion of this site to be extremely useful.

That being said, I am curious about those who've read information here and then followed through on a move.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM

17,391 posts, read 19,658,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioOutrun View Post
How does reality compare with the information obtained from the forum?
Most people don't like to admit it, but the world is much too large and complex of a place for any one person to understand it or explain it even remotely adequately. That is why the information you read about on forums such as this one are always going to be based on very limited subjective personal experiences.

You must take nearly everything you read with a grain of salt.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:40 PM

56,993 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most people don't like to admit it, but the world is much too large and complex of a place for any one person to understand it or explain it even remotely adequately. That is why the information you read about on forums such as this one are always going to be based on very limited subjective personal experiences.

You must take nearly everything you read with a grain of salt.
Plus, you can't get a sense of temperament in terms of the posts. Meaning, people may interpret the sense they get from posts differently and the poster may have different intentions in regards to their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or