U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,956,582 times

Advertisements

The Phoenix, Arizona area would be perfect for you guys. There are plenty of great suburbs and affordable houses/apts to rent. Very family friendly. And it's not super conservative either. It's live and let live. I would recommend you check with the AZ forum for more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 29,314 times
Would love, love, love to go to the pacific northwest. My ultimate goal is the Seattle or Portland areas. But it is SUPER expensive to live over there. And y'all are right - you have to be highly educated to get jobs over there or independently wealthy to afford much of anything. Like I said, we don't plan on furthering our education anytime soon, and of course, we're too young to be independently wealthy, so the northwest is on hold for now.

I will check out Phoenix, AZ! Hadn't even crossed my mind really, when I think of AZ, I think of even hotter than Texas so we'll see haha. I'm also considering Raleigh/Durham, NC area, any input there??

Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 AM

13,239 posts, read 17,779,749 times
Unless you have savings you can use for moving or support lined up moving a family of five on a production worker's pay is a gamble. A diesel mechanic needs some experience before and if the jobs start paying.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:22 AM

571 posts, read 670,963 times
How do you know the kids are Atheist?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:45 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
"Atheist" just means non-religious. All people are born with a blank slate and non-religious.

Religion shouldn't be something you push on anyone until they're old enough to think for themselves and decide if it's something they want to follow along with or if it doesn't interest them at all. I think it's terrible the way some people raise their kids as hard core Christians and force it on them making them feel bad if they have no interest in any of the stories.

People should be adults and decide for themselves if they want to pick up any of the hundreds of religions on earth. My parents didn't raise me religious at all, but they had no problem when I went to church with my grandparents and I did bible school for multiple years as a child. By the time I was in high school though none of it interested me anymore and I stopped caring.

They're all just man-made institutions anyway. If you're interested go for it, if you don't care - no harm no foul.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-01-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
My husband and I are atheists and our children aren't being raised with religion. They could very well be religious in the future, but right now they're 3, 1, and a fetus, so I highly doubt you could call them anything else really. They don't know anything about religion. You're kind of born "atheist" until someone/something convinces you otherwise, eh?

Please, if you're not going to add to the discussion of relocation suggestions, do not say anything at all.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
This may help a little bit too: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Unless you have savings you can use for moving or support lined up moving a family of five on a production worker's pay is a gamble. A diesel mechanic needs some experience before and if the jobs start paying.
We do have a nice chunk of savings right now, and should have more by the time we move. Plus all of our debt will be gone by early 2016, if not sooner. As far as support, our parents can help to some extent, if we absolutely need help. But we are trying to do this without dragging them into it, and we should be able to.

My husband's also very tech-savvy, and he's got some intern work experience in IT. He just "prefers" hard labor, working with his hands I suppose. He's expressed that if we moved to an area where production was just not as available or high-paying as it seems to be here (south Dallas), he'd look into entry-level IT/tech stuff. I also neglected to mention, because it's not that big of a factor right now, but eventually he will be going back to university for something in the realm of mechanical/robotics engineering. But with 3 kids and his attention span, it's not really an option right now. Probably more like in the realm of 5-10 years from now, or just at a really, really slow pace (not full-time student).

If I'm kind of jumbled right now, I apologize, I'm just busy. Basically we just need someplace with an environment that matches or accepts us, not just tolerates. A secular homeschooling/parenting group is probably the most "important" factor aside from the obvious cost of living. Currently any homeschooling groups in my area are going to be Christian-based and unaccepting. There have been a few secular homeschooling groups in our area that were shut down within MONTHS because of a) the lack of non-religious/unbiased people in the area to even keep them running, and b) the pressure to get the groups "shut down" by rustled Christians.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:42 PM

3,739 posts, read 3,851,539 times
New Hampshire/Vermont might be perfect for you, but might be very cold, coming from Texas. Thats an area of the country where even farmers are atheists. Cost of living shouldn't be that high too, especially comparing with pacific northwest.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
New Hampshire/Vermont might be perfect for you, but might be very cold, coming from Texas. Thats an area of the country where even farmers are atheists. Cost of living shouldn't be that high too, especially comparing with pacific northwest.
Wow I would have never thought of that area haha. I'll look into it. I don't mind the cold, and my husband actually prefers it. I'd just be worried about adjusting from no snow to lots of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or