U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 07:59 PM

173 posts, read 197,363 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research on Holland, MI and it's looking like a really good option. 20% hispanic so my husband would feel more comfortable, fairly low cost of living, and was rated the 2nd most beautiful small town in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,485,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
My husband and I are moving from yucky hot and humid Louisiana to somewhere cold by Spring 2015. We are moving solely for the colder weather because I faint in heat from a heart condition. We were originally considering the Seattle area, but all of our family is on the east coast and housing prices are sky high in the west. The criteria we are looking for in a city is as follows:

1. Somewhere cool weather wise most of the year, I can handle a month or two of 80 degree weather, but not constant 90 plus degree temps.

2. Diversity- I prefer somewhere with people of a lot of different cultures or backgrounds. My husband is Mexican and I am white, so it would be nice to live in an area with some Spanish influence or a lot of immigrants from other countries.

3. Jobs- I work in insurance so I can go pretty much anywhere. My husband has done painting, roofing, and forklift work in the past. We need an area with blue collar jobs where he could work in a factory or do construction.

4. Entertainment- We are pretty low-key as far as entertainment is concerned. Our typical weekend includes going to our fave Vietnamese restaurant, watching movies, and going to a local bar. We're not big on sports so I don't care about that. We also don't have kids and don't really want them.

5. Cost of living- I'd like somewhere that has a fairly low cost of living since I'm tired of being in apartments and would like to get a house soon. Of course this is tied to salary. I currently make $36,000 a year and have $700 month rent plus utilities. So I could afford anything in the range of $700-$1,100 a month depending on salary.

6. Health conscious- We love to work out every night and eat healthy food. I'd prefer to live in an area where people take care of themselves.

The cities i'm considering so far after researching are as follows: Charlottesville, VA; Burlington, VT; Rochester or Albany, NY; Tacoma, WA (if I can find a good job); Madison, WI; or Ann Arbor, MI. Maybe somewhere in PA as well. Which city sounds right for us? Open to suggestions
You should move to Calgary Alberta. Your income would double, and it is more expensive for rent, but it has everything else that you ask ... and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or