U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:34 AM

998 posts, read 888,168 times

Advertisements

Richmond is evolving into a spectacular region-food, art, start ups, outdoor culture, architectural preservation and folks from all over the country coming together to help create a really vibrant culture. Lots of promise ahead for RVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:13 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,855,104 times
Raleigh: Already happening.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,601,588 times
Houston probably.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 AM

29,984 posts, read 27,526,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It has added about 80,000 people to the metro since 2000, which for its size is a pretty big increase in population. I believe its healthcare and higher sectors have seen some growth as well.
Jackson, MS, which is roughly the same size as Augusta, added the same amount of people since 2000 also and I don't think anyone would say Jackson is a sleeper. Compared to its regional peers like Charleston (added 163K since 2000), Fayetteville, AR (144K), Columbia (146K), Durham (108K), Greensboro (98K), etc., Augusta's growth was more average and similar to the growth experienced by Chattanooga, Lexington, Jackson, etc. I know there's a difference between looking at growth in terms of raw numbers instead of percentages, but it still demonstrates the point.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Location: somewhere on I-35 in-between Austin and San Antonio
296 posts, read 427,784 times
I'm not sure if it is technically Sun Belt, but El Paso, TX. Fort Bliss continues to expand rapidly and people are fleeing Mexico and Central America in waves and settling there.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 PM

56,900 posts, read 81,260,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Jackson, MS, which is roughly the same size as Augusta, added the same amount of people since 2000 also and I don't think anyone would say Jackson is a sleeper. Compared to its regional peers like Charleston (added 163K since 2000), Fayetteville, AR (144K), Columbia (146K), Durham (108K), Greensboro (98K), etc., Augusta's growth was more average and similar to the growth experienced by Chattanooga, Lexington, Jackson, etc. I know there's a difference between looking at growth in terms of raw numbers instead of percentages, but it still demonstrates the point.
I suppose and good info, but I don't think people think about Augusta in terms of Southern areas that have been growing. That is what I meant by being a sleeper.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:27 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,125,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
I'm not sure if it is technically Sun Belt, but El Paso, TX. Fort Bliss continues to expand rapidly and people are fleeing Mexico and Central America in waves and settling there.
Yes, that is considered the Sunbelt.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 PM

346 posts, read 760,235 times
The Norfolk/Va Beach area should be added to this list. Norfolk added the first light rail line in Virginia approximately two years ago and now the city plans to connect the light rail to neighboring cities (Va Beach- Town Center and ocean front areas/Chesapeake- Greenbriar area) and different sections of the city (Naval Base, Wards Corner, ODU). Also, a 17,000 person capacity seated arena is going to be built in Va Beach.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,045,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
The Triangle will transform once light rail and commuter rail arrive in about 15 years. The system will connect major attractions (Duke, UNC, NCSU, downtowns of CH, Durham, Cary, Raleigh, UNC Hospital, Duke Med, and some urban neighborhoods). It'll encourage infill/redevelopment of some suburban areas too. Infill/redevelopment is already occurring but this will intensify it.

The region's greenway network is already pretty remarkable but I also expect that to continue to grow.

I think all of this infrastructure will start attracting people that maybe previously viewed the area as too disjointed and suburban.
I don't know if the 15 years estimate was meant to be ironic. People have been talking about light rail in the Triangle for decades and it has never gained any traction. I think part of the failure is due to the design of the region - RTP's encouragement (requirement?) of corporate campuses starting back, when? the 50's/60's? was seen as progressive and forward-thinking. What it created is a patchwork of employment oases that typically rule out anything but driving as a way to get to work.

Even if there are rail stations in RTP, you still: have to get to a station near your home, park (maybe paying for it), take the train, then somehow get from the RTP station to your employer's campus. That's not an unreasonable scenario, and it's one that a vast majority of workers would not want to do. I used to live in Chapel Hill and work at Glaxo (in RTP). The drive was about 20 minutes each way. I'm a "green"-ish person (recycle, donate to Sierra Club, etc.), but there's no way on earth that I'd trade that single-mode 20 minute trip for a who knows how long three-leg commute. Rail commuting is not part of the Triangle DNA, and infilling won't make rail more viable.

My wife and I moved from Chapel Hill to Philly in 2008. This is a region where public transit is heavily utilized and its importance is highly valued (case in point: rather than moving to an office park in the suburbs, Comcast is expanding downtown, building its "vertical campus" - an 1100' tall mixed use building. It recognized that its current & future employees valued the ability to take a subway or train and be a very short walk from the station.) Our rail line to downtown pre-dates the Civil War. No wonder, then, that people here usually consider mass transit as the first option for getting into town. Public transit grew along with the city (unlike the Triangle).

And I completely agree about the greenway - very, very cool re-use of the rail right of way.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:47 AM

998 posts, read 888,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh: Already happening.
Cast in the suburban model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or