U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I know the US meanings of liberal and conservative. I have been in this country for over a year ( more like almost two).

As for the south, isn't it mostly black-American? To be honest that is a much more pressing issue for me than orthodoxy to Christian Conservatism. That might sound bigoted but it isn't meant to be malicious...a big reason I came to the west is so i could be around my culture and feel like that culture is somewhat dominant and not a tiny and hated minority (my culture IMO is just regular Anglo-Saxon western culture). I don't care if there are other parts of town with my different kinds of people, but I would hope that people like me would be the predominant kind of people i will be working with, be neighbors with, and hopefully one day send my child to school with.

As for conservatism, it's less so for me about politics because national politics is way more important IMO, but about the attitudes of the citizenry.

Like for instance with Homosexuality- I don't hate gay people, I honestly don't have much exposure to them but I am sure that like the rest of humans some of them are good people and some not. However I find it very hard to believe that every urban American embraces and encourages them to act that way in public. If that was the case then this nation wouldn't be do divided over the issue of them have marital rights. Gay acts were only legalized throughout the whole nation by the Supreme Court in 2003! Only 11 years ago so unless this nation changes it's mind very fast I don't understand how I shouldn't be shocked by the "acceptance". I wouldn't ever disrespect someone to their face but according to census data most Americans are Christian, and therefore if they believe their own religion, aren't "okay" with it. Like I said I wouldn't say anything but I find it hard to believe that in this country people would accept behavior that they believe is deviant to happen openly in front of their children and wives and mothers etc. if I was in a nightlife district maybe, but in a suburban mall?

I hope that this is just a small subset of people that are so hostile to traditional values, because that is the hole reason I chose this country over the UK or OZ where most of my fellow white Africans go. Because I was under the impression that this was a more traditional and religious place and not somewhere so hostile.

In NY here I lost a friend because of my faith. A female friend of mine who gained me and I fancied her were discussing things and she brought up evolutionary theory and I told her of my beliefs in creationism because of the bible and she told me how stupid I and my religion are. I hope that isn't a representation of US women in my age range.
Maybe if you got to know a few gay people, they wouldn't seem so foreign to you. There are gay people in Africa too... they just hide and live in fear. Gay people in the U.S. don't generally hide it, or live in fear (maybe in very rural areas they do). I'm gay and married (we've been together 18 years) and we have children. There are other gay couples in our neighborhood with children as well. So I'm rather shocked by your thoughts, but then you're not from the U.S.

I rarely (can't remember the last time) see any couples, straight or gay being "affectionate" in public. I don't want to see two people all over each other in public, but a quick kiss on the the cheek or hand-holding isn't offensive, gay or straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
 
300 posts, read 327,300 times
Reputation: 312
Phoenix is 70% while(60% non Hispanic), tons of safe Christian suburbs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_metropolitan_area

I saw a post where OP says that all cities can't be that open to homosexuality, but I disagree. The country isn't that split on it anymore, within the next few years it will be legal for gay couples to get married in every state. People that live in cities are generally more open to it. It is all of the hicks that don't live in town that oppose it.

I heard Ghana has had some pretty conservative white people over there converting them, maybe you should check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,144 posts, read 2,826,606 times
Reputation: 2858
There are so many posts that stereotype white cities and states. The irony is that I experienced and witnessed the most hatred in a majority non-white city. There was racism among the different classes of ethnicities and directed towards others not of the same race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 AM
 
78 posts, read 102,028 times
Reputation: 81
set the clock behind by a hundred years may be..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 AM
 
1,938 posts, read 2,857,578 times
Reputation: 2676
This thread is nutty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,886 posts, read 4,188,219 times
Reputation: 4161
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
This thread is nutty.
Why? If a black poster came on here asking for suggestions on areas where they would be comfortable no one would call it "nutty." People can have their preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,797 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
Thank you, I am really trying to fit in and I would not ever impose my views on people in this country, because I did move here you're right. However I am trying to find the place in this country where I would fit in the most so it would be easier for me to integrate and for my community to accept me.

Perhaps I am mistaken, or rather the "internet" is mistaken because as I was looking to immigrate I did research and found that the USA is the most socially conservative and religious of all the western nations.

I wasn't offended by the homosexual fellows, however I was shocked that it was totally casual an accepted. I thought this nation was more traditional in their values..
To answer your original question, you might try some of the suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
You're not the only one who dislikes seeing a gay couple necking in public. Honestly, it disgusts me.
Also you have to know that the internet is not a place of freedom of speech. You will be banned here and elsewhere for expressing opinions others don't like. Also some of the most intolerant people I have known are gays themselves. Just my opinion, too bad if others don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,377 posts, read 1,194,658 times
Reputation: 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by wymplsteelskin View Post
You will be banned here and elsewhere for expressing opinions others don't like.
Is that why you've had to create a brand new account specifically to write bigoted, inflammatory crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2015, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas
103 posts, read 221,378 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Why? If a black poster came on here asking for suggestions on areas where they would be comfortable no one would call it "nutty." People can have their preferences.

Im a black male and honestly I have asked the same question. I notice when we make a thread about what cities have a larger black population, we get a lot of information. I notice when white people do it they get push back. I honestly think the difference, I have noticed in these forums so far is when this question is coming from a black person or even Asian, Mexican, etc. compared to a white person, the delivery in which the question is asked is different or better yet the following comments this person made, made this thread nutty. Seeing this persons comments didn't really offend me as a black guy as much as it did as an American. I honestly love living in a diverse country. America is a melting Pot. The city I chose to reside after college is diverse.Now I know that is my preference to live in a diverse city and neighborhood. Just like others may tend to stay in all asians areas, black areas, white areas etc. true enough you can have a preference, but this person basically is mad, because they moved to American. A melting pot in which most of us were born in and he/she is MAD because its not as segregated as he/she though. Or because he are more open to peoples preferences with relationships. Thats why this post is nutty. To the OP I wish you the best and really hope you find the area you are looking for in America. On the other hand if its not what you thought it would be, whats holding you up from leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2015, 07:44 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,940,583 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Why? If a black poster came on here asking for suggestions on areas where they would be comfortable no one would call it "nutty." People can have their preferences.
If the black person asked for suggestions on areas where they would be comfortable, AND areas where gays are discriminated against, and a majority of people don't believe in science... it would be just as nutty.

Those are the things that make the OP nutty, and yes that is what the OP asked for. Stop trying to make things about race when they clearly are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top