U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM

43 posts, read 63,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Right next door to you in Brooklyn there is a hardcore hascidic conservative Jewish neighborhood that is virtually all white and has the highest birth rate in the country. Basically amish in the city. Perhaps they'll allow you in. I've read about them in several publications. All white, extremely conservative, smack dab in the middle of the city. I'm sure you wouldn't have to worry about too much the heathenistic tolerance of homosexuals there.

Borough Park, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't know if you're genuinely naive or just being facetious but as much as I respect these people I am a Christian and not Jewish so that wouldn't work. Heathenous?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Much of the South (east Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, northern Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and southern Virginia) is considered "the most socially conservative and religious" area of the US, along with the States of Utah and Oklahoma. 'Red States' (aka Republican) will generally feel more conservative. Large cities in the US are generally Democratic-run (aka liberal).

Note that 'liberal' in the US does not mean small government and personal freedom - that ideology is termed 'classical liberal' or conservative. Liberal in the US means leftist or Marxist (an ideology with which I'm sure you're familiar).
I know the US meanings of liberal and conservative. I have been in this country for over a year ( more like almost two).

As for the south, isn't it mostly black-American? To be honest that is a much more pressing issue for me than orthodoxy to Christian Conservatism. That might sound bigoted but it isn't meant to be malicious...a big reason I came to the west is so i could be around my culture and feel like that culture is somewhat dominant and not a tiny and hated minority (my culture IMO is just regular Anglo-Saxon western culture). I don't care if there are other parts of town with my different kinds of people, but I would hope that people like me would be the predominant kind of people i will be working with, be neighbors with, and hopefully one day send my child to school with.

As for conservatism, it's less so for me about politics because national politics is way more important IMO, but about the attitudes of the citizenry.

Like for instance with Homosexuality- I don't hate gay people, I honestly don't have much exposure to them but I am sure that like the rest of humans some of them are good people and some not. However I find it very hard to believe that every urban American embraces and encourages them to act that way in public. If that was the case then this nation wouldn't be do divided over the issue of them have marital rights. Gay acts were only legalized throughout the whole nation by the Supreme Court in 2003! Only 11 years ago so unless this nation changes it's mind very fast I don't understand how I shouldn't be shocked by the "acceptance". I wouldn't ever disrespect someone to their face but according to census data most Americans are Christian, and therefore if they believe their own religion, aren't "okay" with it. Like I said I wouldn't say anything but I find it hard to believe that in this country people would accept behavior that they believe is deviant to happen openly in front of their children and wives and mothers etc. if I was in a nightlife district maybe, but in a suburban mall?

I hope that this is just a small subset of people that are so hostile to traditional values, because that is the hole reason I chose this country over the UK or OZ where most of my fellow white Africans go. Because I was under the impression that this was a more traditional and religious place and not somewhere so hostile.

In NY here I lost a friend because of my faith. A female friend of mine who gained me and I fancied her were discussing things and she brought up evolutionary theory and I told her of my beliefs in creationism because of the bible and she told me how stupid I and my religion are. I hope that isn't a representation of US women in my age range.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,116,283 times
Orange County and San Diego are very White. Yes, they have their fair share of Asians and Mexicans as well, but both areas are mostly White and wealthy.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,116,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I know the US meanings of liberal and conservative. I have been in this country for over a year ( more like almost two).

As for the south, isn't it mostly black-American? To be honest that is a much more pressing issue for me than orthodoxy to Christian Conservatism. That might sound bigoted but it isn't meant to be malicious...a big reason I came to the west is so i could be around my culture and feel like that culture is somewhat dominant and not a tiny and hated minority (my culture IMO is just regular Anglo-Saxon western culture). I don't care if there are other parts of town with my different kinds of people, but I would hope that people like me would be the predominant kind of people i will be working with, be neighbors with, and hopefully one day send my child to school with.

As for conservatism, it's less so for me about politics because national politics is way more important IMO, but about the attitudes of the citizenry.

Like for instance with Homosexuality- I don't hate gay people, I honestly don't have much exposure to them but I am sure that like the rest of humans some of them are good people and some not. However I find it very hard to believe that every urban American embraces and encourages them to act that way in public. If that was the case then this nation wouldn't be do divided over the issue of them have marital rights. Gay acts were only legalized throughout the whole nation by the Supreme Court in 2003! Only 11 years ago so unless this nation changes it's mind very fast I don't understand how I shouldn't be shocked by the "acceptance". I wouldn't ever disrespect someone to their face but according to census data most Americans are Christian, and therefore if they believe their own religion, aren't "okay" with it. Like I said I wouldn't say anything but I find it hard to believe that in this country people would accept behavior that they believe is deviant to happen openly in front of their children and wives and mothers etc. if I was in a nightlife district maybe, but in a suburban mall?

I hope that this is just a small subset of people that are so hostile to traditional values, because that is the hole reason I chose this country over the UK or OZ where most of my fellow white Africans go. Because I was under the impression that this was a more traditional and religious place and not somewhere so hostile.

In NY here I lost a friend because of my faith. A female friend of mine who gained me and I fancied her were discussing things and she brought up evolutionary theory and I told her of my beliefs in creationism because of the bible and she told me how stupid I and my religion are. I hope that isn't a representation of US women in my age range.
The way you speak about Blacks and the LGBT community sounds extremely bigoted...and for that matter, women too! Why should "wives and mothers" have to be any more sensitive to seeing gay couples than husbands or fathers? You're also acting as if all or most Christians hate gays/think they are sinners, when in fact, many Christians don't think this way at all. And if straight people can kiss and hold hands in the mall, why not gays too? This country is based off of separation of church and state, and freedom and equality. If you want somewhere where you won't see gays in the mall holding hands, go to Russia, where the religion will trump any freedom.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,332,888 times
Welcome to America -- the country that gave people the right to judge each and every single thing you have to say, ever! You're learning fast by now, I'm sure!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The way you speak about Blacks and the LGBT community sounds extremely bigoted...and for that matter, women too! Why should "wives and mothers" have to be any more sensitive to seeing gay couples than husbands or fathers? You're also acting as if all or most Christians hate gays/think they are sinners, when in fact, many Christians don't think this way at all. And if straight people can kiss and hold hands in the mall, why not gays too? This country is based off of separation of church and state, and freedom and equality. If you want somewhere where you won't see gays in the mall holding hands, go to Russia, where the religion will trump any freedom.
I do not want to argue with you at all. I assure you I do not hate black people, I come from countries that are like 90% black so my life would've been miserable if I hated everyone.
As for women, if you think respecting woman and treating them delicately and with respect and wanting to shield them from the world is sexist than you're entitled to that view. I call it being a gentleman it's how my mother taught me to act.

And as for religion, I'm not a theologian but the basic belief amongst Christian denominations including myself is that every human being except Jesus and his mummy were/are sinners because of eve and original sin. Most mainstream religions view homosexuality as a sin but that doesn't make me superior to them. Premarital sex is a sin that I am unfortunately guilty of so I am just as bad as them. I don't think anyone should kiss their partner in public in front of children it's inappropriate, however I do think that when homosexuals do that they are trying to be controversial because they know a lot of people have strong feelings about the topic.
The difference between here and Russia is we all have the freedom to do things that each othe doesn't like and also to disagree loudly about it. Homosexuals have a right to be whoever they choose and I have a right to speak my opinion on it. Freedom of Speech. God bless America!
Whatever, I am not here to debate my life. I asked for relocation advice.

Thanks, have a good one friend!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Orange County and San Diego are very White. Yes, they have their fair share of Asians and Mexicans as well, but both areas are mostly White and wealthy.
I will check them both out. Orange County is where Newport and Huntington and Laguna Beach are, yes? Those places are famous all over the world!! I wish I could afford it!

What are the nice areas of San Diego and OC?

Are the white areas more rich, or working class? I'm definitely a working class person with a smaller income...very "blue collar"

Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Welcome to America -- the country that gave people the right to judge each and every single thing you have to say, ever! You're learning fast by now, I'm sure!
I am! And I enjoy it!

It's amazing how these exchanges are taken for granted! In most parts of the world people are executed for much less!!

I love this country!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,473,280 times
Quote:
80% some odd of Americans went to public schools, where they don't teach creationism. And only like 17% of Americans attend Christian churches every week, and not all of them necessarily believe in creationism. I think what you experienced is a pretty good example of what you'd likely experience in most of the country, aside from the most religious HARDCORE fundamentalist enclaves, wherever those may be.

I really think you misjudged this country before you came here, but it didn't help that you went to the largest city in the country, which in no way represents the other 99% of the land (not the people) in the country. I mean, you could have been happier in Topeka or something (wait, Topeka is only 68% white ).

The only thing I could think of to suggest you at this point, is try to find a very red (70%+) county in the bible belt, with a higher than average white population, probably not within commuting distance to a major/semi-major city. And pray those people accept you.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,473,280 times
Quote:
I will check them both out. Orange County is where Newport and Huntington and Laguna Beach are, yes? Those places are famous all over the world!! I wish I could afford it!

What are the nice areas of San Diego and OC?

Are the white areas more rich, or working class? I'm definitely a working class person with a smaller income...very "blue collar"
Nicer areas of San Diego and OC are closest to the coast (in general), and higher in the hills (in general).

As a working class person, be prepared to compete with Mexicans for those jobs. Good luck with that.

Green (the color of money) is the only color that matters in Southern California. It is not segregated by race, it is segregated by income. And let's just say that I've got a ton of Mexican-American family close to the coast, and high in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.