U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
 
350 posts, read 609,031 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
I don't think it is the best fit for him religiously. I'm LDS and I don't know any church member that believes in creationism. If the OP is searching for a fundamentalist Christian area, Salt Lake isn't it.

Some (not all) non-Mormons also have felt like outsiders in Utah for not being part of the dominant religion. I think the OP is looking for an area filled with others just like him.
I thought SLC was less Mormons compare to other Utah cities because of transplants and the growing Hispanics population, at least that's what I read on this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM
 
Location: League City
3,382 posts, read 6,605,118 times
Reputation: 3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
What are some mid sized nice places in Texas?
Sugar Land, Round Rock, Plano, The Woodlands, McKinney. Actually there are probably a lot around Dallas, but I am not too familiar with that area other than Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I am! And I enjoy it!

It's amazing how these exchanges are taken for granted! In most parts of the world people are executed for much less!!

I love this country!
Just so you know: I'm gay, and never chose it; why would I choose something that would cause so much drama in my life? And LOL about your post saying that when gay people kiss, they do it to upset people. Most of us couldn't care what homophobes think. We just want to live our lives in equality. And your argument before about most Americans hating gays is false--the majority actually believe in marriage equality. But since you went there, just because something is in the majority doesn't make it right. At one time, the majority of people here believed that women and people of color should stay second-class citizens; that certainly was not the right way of thinking.


As for the nice areas of San Diego, you'll probably like Rancho Penasquitos or Escondido, or Irvine in OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I haven't ever met a Native American. I am not "bigoted" as you say against anyone however I realize for some reason that wanting to live in a community with people like you is frowned upon in the USA and the trend is to become part of one big atheist multiracial culture instead of fostering your own identity within a community. Please refer to the comment I posted before this one.
Most Americans aren't atheist, no matter what color they are, in fact, atheist is the second-most distrusted/hated belief system in the US (after Islam) according to many polls. But in general, Americans do believe in equality, especially the youth. And it sounds like you want to shy away from that in many aspects, such as your request to be living somewhere away from People of Color because somehow their "values" don't match up with yours. Newsflash: not all White people, and heck, not even all White Christians are going to share your same values or traditions, so to some extent, your wish to move here in a city where most people share your "traditional family values" is a moot point. You may want to settle somewhere like Biloxi or rural Alabama if you want evangelical Christian thinking to be a main part of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 02:53 PM
 
43 posts, read 63,348 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Most Americans aren't atheist, no matter what color they are, in fact, atheist is the second-most distrusted/hated belief system in the US (after Islam) according to many polls. But in general, Americans do believe in equality, especially the youth. And it sounds like you want to shy away from that in many aspects, such as your request to be living somewhere away from People of Color because somehow their "values" don't match up with yours. Newsflash: not all White people, and heck, not even all White Christians are going to share your same values or traditions, so to some extent, your wish to move here in a city where most people share your "traditional family values" is a moot point. You may want to settle somewhere like Biloxi or rural Alabama if you want evangelical Christian thinking to be a main part of your life.
Evangelical? As in Baptist? No.
I am an English speaking Protestant. I'm not even that religious, I think most mainstream faiths condemn homosexuals, fornication etc. I know Catholics do and Catholics predominate in most of America at least the NE and SW?

Equality? I don't believe in slavery. I don't get what you mean.

You say most Americans are Christians but then you say they don't believe in Christianity. Are all Youths atheist? As for culture I don't expect every thing to be shared obviously but Anglo descended people have a common culture from Manchester to Auckland to Durban to Vancouver. One that values the English language and the Christian faith and also certain types of cultural practices. Hispanics have unique culture from Spain, and African Americans have,..well they have something.

It seems that although most places are english speaking, the Anglo culture that was strong even in New England is gone. Scots settled the Appalachians and Germans and English settled Texas, where is that culture!?

It just seems like Asian this, Cinco de that, Ramadan, Kosher

Want about just normal english speaking culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,306 posts, read 19,577,939 times
Reputation: 13095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
It seems that although most places are english speaking, the Anglo culture that was strong even in New England is gone. Scots settled the Appalachians and Germans and English settled Texas, where is that culture!?

It just seems like Asian this, Cinco de that, Ramadan, Kosher

Want about just normal english speaking culture?
In east coast cities and metro areas, the white population is often concentrated in affluent areas. You will find many suburbs and even city neighborhoods that are 90%+ white.

But that is where you will face an uphill battle since your background is working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,241 posts, read 24,454,663 times
Reputation: 13011
Rural or small town Pennsylvania? Like Pottsville?
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:14 PM
 
2,815 posts, read 1,148,360 times
Reputation: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
Evangelical? As in Baptist? No.
I am an English speaking Protestant. I'm not even that religious, I think most mainstream faiths condemn homosexuals, fornication etc. I know Catholics do and Catholics predominate in most of America at least the NE and SW?

Equality? I don't believe in slavery. I don't get what you mean.

You say most Americans are Christians but then you say they don't believe in Christianity. Are all Youths atheist? As for culture I don't expect every thing to be shared obviously but Anglo descended people have a common culture from Manchester to Auckland to Durban to Vancouver. One that values the English language and the Christian faith and also certain types of cultural practices. Hispanics have unique culture from Spain, and African Americans have,..well they have something.

It seems that although most places are english speaking, the Anglo culture that was strong even in New England is gone. Scots settled the Appalachians and Germans and English settled Texas, where is that culture!?

It just seems like Asian this, Cinco de that, Ramadan, Kosher

Want about just normal english speaking culture?
Well, you made a conscious decision to live in Queens, New York probably one of the most - if the not the most - diverse place in the entire country. I would recommend you drive, if you haven't been, through New England. It is probably the most traditionally WASP place in the entire country, so I would recommend a small town there. Also, Anglo culture everywhere is dying out to the extent that places such as Manchester and especially Vancouver have large populations where English isn't even the first language; Vancouver is at 52%. If you want to find WASPS, go south. If you want the most traditionally 'European' region, then go to New England. I wouldn't give up on an entire country just because you believe Queens, New York is a reflection of the entire United States. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 PM
 
2,729 posts, read 5,159,377 times
Reputation: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I thought SLC was less Mormons compare to other Utah cities because of transplants and the growing Hispanics population, at least that's what I read on this forum
SLC proper itself is relatively small when compared to the massive suburban areas that surround it and those suburban areas are very much LDS, although the city proper has diversified religiously, it is still the headquarters for the Mormon/LDS Church and the cities culture is dominated by the religion. SLC and its downtown is still conservative when compared to other cities/states. If you compare SLC/Downtown to the rest of Utah it is more liberal, but it is all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,059 posts, read 31,440,324 times
Reputation: 13869
The OP would probably like the Johnson City - Bristol area of Tennessee, it's like 90% white and very conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top