U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,393 posts, read 1,207,246 times
Reputation: 2583

Advertisements

Looking back on jza1993's posts, I'm pretty sure he's an American posing as a Zimbabwean by the way he spells his words (-ize endings, -or instead of -our, etc.)

Bait thread, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,483 posts, read 2,240,812 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I know the US meanings of liberal and conservative. I have been in this country for over a year ( more like almost two).

As for the south, isn't it mostly black-American? To be honest that is a much more pressing issue for me than orthodoxy to Christian Conservatism. That might sound bigoted but it isn't meant to be malicious...a big reason I came to the west is so i could be around my culture and feel like that culture is somewhat dominant and not a tiny and hated minority (my culture IMO is just regular Anglo-Saxon western culture). I don't care if there are other parts of town with my different kinds of people, but I would hope that people like me would be the predominant kind of people i will be working with, be neighbors with, and hopefully one day send my child to school with.
You should have moved to Britain then. The United States is not going to be a majority white country in the next few decades, and that seems to be a problem for you.

Quote:
As for conservatism, it's less so for me about politics because national politics is way more important IMO, but about the attitudes of the citizenry.

Like for instance with Homosexuality- I don't hate gay people, I honestly don't have much exposure to them but I am sure that like the rest of humans some of them are good people and some not. However I find it very hard to believe that every urban American embraces and encourages them to act that way in public. If that was the case then this nation wouldn't be do divided over the issue of them have marital rights. Gay acts were only legalized throughout the whole nation by the Supreme Court in 2003! Only 11 years ago so unless this nation changes it's mind very fast I don't understand how I shouldn't be shocked by the "acceptance". I wouldn't ever disrespect someone to their face but according to census data most Americans are Christian, and therefore if they believe their own religion, aren't "okay" with it. Like I said I wouldn't say anything but I find it hard to believe that in this country people would accept behavior that they believe is deviant to happen openly in front of their children and wives and mothers etc. if I was in a nightlife district maybe, but in a suburban mall?
The vast majority of the country had gotten rid of their sodomy laws prior to Lawrence v. Texas. The majority of the country now has gay marriage, and the Supreme Court will most likely bring the rest of the country in line in the next year or so since there has been a circuit split.

The large cities in the US are almost always far more liberal than other parts of their respective states. For example, people put down Houston because they may not think that it's liberal enough, but even they have a lesbian mayor.

A substantial portion of the United States is over this issue. Hell, the majority of American Catholics support the idea of gay marriage.

Honestly, the America you thought you were moving to ceased to exist decades ago.

Quote:
I hope that this is just a small subset of people that are so hostile to traditional values, because that is the hole reason I chose this country over the UK or OZ where most of my fellow white Africans go. Because I was under the impression that this was a more traditional and religious place and not somewhere so hostile.
It's not.

Quote:
In NY here I lost a friend because of my faith. A female friend of mine who gained me and I fancied her were discussing things and she brought up evolutionary theory and I told her of my beliefs in creationism because of the bible and she told me how stupid I and my religion are. I hope that isn't a representation of US women in my age range.
The majority of Americans believe in evolution.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 12-02-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,483 posts, read 2,240,812 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSword94 View Post
Really? Nobody has mentioned Minneapolis?
I used to live in Seattle, and I can tell you that Minneapolis is way whiter.
It's not conservative.

My vote goes to Charleston. Not the largest metro by any means, but it's quaint, has a lot of history, it's on the water, and rather conservative compared to other places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
 
48,460 posts, read 45,674,872 times
Reputation: 15428
I don't think the OP will find what he is looking for. The Whitest large cities in the USA are also the most liberal. Truth is, large cities in the USA lean liberal, and have large numbers of minorities in them. Yes, the USA is majority White and quite religious compared to other industrialized nations. However, the White population is very spread out. It isn't as concentrated in large cities as minorities are. The only cities that fit the predominantly White(on the level of Seattle and Portland), conservative, and religious requirements have populations under 200,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: sumter
8,656 posts, read 5,430,358 times
Reputation: 6638
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
OP, after talking to you here and in the WA thread, I am having less hope for you in finding this place you seek.

Seriously, if you were offended by a couple of gay people showing affection, you moved to the wrong country. Only the most backwoods places would bat an eyebrow at that nowadays.

TBH, since you moved here, you should try to fit in the country, not try and make it fit you. Remember, we're the place that takes anybody and everybody.
Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, New York
3,114 posts, read 2,534,170 times
Reputation: 2276
Boise, Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,130,079 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
Evangelical? As in Baptist? No.
I am an English speaking Protestant. I'm not even that religious, I think most mainstream faiths condemn homosexuals, fornication etc. I know Catholics do and Catholics predominate in most of America at least the NE and SW?

Equality? I don't believe in slavery. I don't get what you mean.

You say most Americans are Christians but then you say they don't believe in Christianity. Are all Youths atheist? As for culture I don't expect every thing to be shared obviously but Anglo descended people have a common culture from Manchester to Auckland to Durban to Vancouver. One that values the English language and the Christian faith and also certain types of cultural practices. Hispanics have unique culture from Spain, and African Americans have,..well they have something.

It seems that although most places are english speaking, the Anglo culture that was strong even in New England is gone. Scots settled the Appalachians and Germans and English settled Texas, where is that culture!?

It just seems like Asian this, Cinco de that, Ramadan, Kosher

Want about just normal english speaking culture?
Frankly, as a minority and a Jewish one at that, I think it's quite insulting that you think minorities (whether racial or religious) aren't "normal" like White Christians.

And Christianity isn't based on hating gays. Just like Islam isn't based on bombing people. Some people from those religions do those things, but the religion itself is not founded on that. It's founded on loving thy neighbor, which Jesus said to do. Maybe you should take that advice instead of judging people--which the Bible also says not to do.

By the way, if you think being gay is a sin, I hope you're not eating shrimp or bacon, and that you're not wearing clothes made of more than one kind of thread. Those are sins too according to the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 PM
 
4,740 posts, read 8,824,486 times
Reputation: 4079
Hawaii4evr - the prohibition on eating shrimp or bacon are some of the old rules that Jesus tossed in favor of the new covenant. Jesus did say that not everyone should be married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,590 posts, read 17,827,622 times
Reputation: 31027
OP, try the 1850s or earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM
 
48,460 posts, read 45,674,872 times
Reputation: 15428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Boise, Idaho?
Boise isn't that big of a city. Barely 215,000 people. I think the OP was looking for a city around the size of 500,000 people or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top