U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,793,172 times

Advertisements

I lived in Portland, Oregon for two years and I was always having a good laugh when I saw Portland's "Celebrate Diversity" stickers. IMO if you really have a place that is diverse you won't need to advertise it, everyone will simply know. When I left Portland I stopped in Casper, Wyoming for a couple of days. I thought it very amusing that Casper is very, very white and also named CASPER. Casper isn't big by any means, but OMG it is very white and has that name to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:36 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
SLC proper itself is relatively small when compared to the massive suburban areas that surround it and those suburban areas are very much LDS, although the city proper has diversified religiously, it is still the headquarters for the Mormon/LDS Church and the cities culture is dominated by the religion. SLC and its downtown is still conservative when compared to other cities/states. If you compare SLC/Downtown to the rest of Utah it is more liberal, but it is all relative.
True. But Rocky Anderson was about as liberal a mayor as one would expect to find anywhere in Cali or the East Coast.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:45 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Lexington, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lexington, Kentucky
May not be very well known.... But it's VERY white and VERY conservative

Other good ones are:
Louisville
Nashville
Oklahoma City
Tulsa, OK
Des moines, iowa
Minneapolis/st. paul
Indianapolis
Austin
Plano, Texas
Pittsburgh
Arlington, TX

Basically any city/town in the interior upland south (Kentucky, west virginia, and portions of arkansas and Tennessee) , as well as the great plains region (the dakotas, kansas, nebraska, iowa, minnesota, oklahoma)
I would say this list is half wrong.

Des Moines is very gay friendly. I grew up there. Despite being in a rural state, the attitude of people in Des Moines is that treating gay people just like everyone else is "cool". If you chastised gays for behaving in public like any straight couple does, you would quickly be labeled "uncool".

Same with The Twin Cities, Indianapolis, Austin, and Pittsburgh.

I have experience with rural Iowa and rural Nebraska and Kansas as well, even in the small towns, treating gays differently is looked down upon by the general population. They may be majority white, but that is about it. Heck, almost all the millennials I know from those regions are either atheists or very loosely Christian.

Nobody votes libertarian because of the stranglehold the two party system has on elections, but in the midwest people tend to act very libertarian and live their lives in a very live and let live manor. They may vote conservative because they don't want liberals to win, but they don't base how they treat other people on conservative values.

I can see where you are coming from with the Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee suggestions, but if the OP is looking for more bigoted/condemning populations, he probably needs to stick to the more rural regions of even those states.

In almost every single city of 80k+ people, a majority are going to believe that gays should be treated like straights, and a majority is going to believe in evolution. That is part of living in a highly developed nation, people believe in the scientific process, very few believe in things without proper, provable evidence supporting them.

Last edited by Xander_Crews; 12-03-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
In almost every single city of 80k+ people, a majority are going to believe that gays should be treated like straights, and a majority is going to believe in evolution. That is part of living in a highly developed nation, people believe in the scientific process, very few believe in things without proper, provable evidence supporting them.
Yes, it is my hope that modern people would believe in science, slightly at least.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Just go to Kentucky... VERY white and VERY conservative just the way you want it
Its more diverse here than you think, we have a large black population and growing numbers of Latinos, Asians and Middle Eastern people. Its not as white as cities like Salt Lake City and Boise.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM

21,960 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
True. But Rocky Anderson was about as liberal a mayor as one would expect to find anywhere in Cali or the East Coast.
"Liberal" doesn't even begin to describe Rocky. I consider myself to be a liberal, but Rocky was just a flat-out embarrassment to mankind.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:56 AM

5,302 posts, read 8,098,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Hawaii4evr - the prohibition on eating shrimp or bacon are some of the old rules that Jesus tossed in favor of the new covenant. Jesus did say that not everyone should be married.
He never said anything about homosexuality--negative or positive. Don't be a hypocrite. If he threw out the OT rules, then homosexuality should apply as well.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM

48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The OP would probably like the Johnson City - Bristol area of Tennessee, it's like 90% white and very conservative.
The OP wants a much largest city.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,941,809 times
What the OP wants doesn't exist in this country.

He wants a large city where people are predominantly prejudiced against gay people, predominantly do not believe in evolution. and predominantly white. The only places like that in this country are small towns usually in the south.

Heck, I do not know of a large city in the modern world that fits that criteria. Most people in large cities in modern countries refuse to ignore science and be bigoted towards gays. Large cities in modern countries also tend to be very multicultural.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM

1,002 posts, read 751,223 times
I don't think he mentioned evolution either. All Christians can (and should) believe in evolution. It is one of the most ingenious and wondrous aspects of God's design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.