U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:59 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I don't think he mentioned evolution either. All Christians can (and should) believe in evolution. It is one of the most ingenious and wondrous aspects of God's design.
Wrong, this is a quote from him earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post

In NY here I lost a friend because of my faith. A female friend of mine who gained me and I fancied her were discussing things and she brought up evolutionary theory and I told her of my beliefs in creationism because of the bible and she told me how stupid I and my religion are. I hope that isn't a representation of US women in my age range.

He said this while trying to explain that he is looking for a city where people predominantly share his beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 02:48 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,796,650 times
Hawaii4evr = "By the way, if you think being gay is a sin, I hope you're not eating shrimp or bacon, and that you're not wearing clothes made of more than one kind of thread. Those are sins too according to the Bible."

Reactionary = "Hawaii4evr - the prohibition on eating shrimp or bacon are some of the old rules that Jesus tossed in favor of the new covenant. Jesus did say that not everyone should be married."

For example, Jesus = "Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, 19 since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Mark 7:18)

Many of the Old Testament laws that Jesus tossed were the Jewish rituals and customs - He kept some of the moral laws (and the Ten Commandments).

Jesus = "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate." (Matthew 19:4)

Hawaii4evr = "He never said anything about homosexuality"

Both the Old and New Testament mention homosexuality, I accept your point that one cannot quote Jesus about it.

Jesus = "“Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” (Matthew 19:11)

Old 12-06-2014, 03:01 AM

3,212 posts, read 4,708,984 times
Lincoln, NE. 83% white, 300,000 in the metro area, has a large university but is still pretty conservative.

Curious how you ended up here. I thought most whites from Zimbabwe went to South Africa, the UK or Australia when they left.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Looking back on jza1993's posts, I'm pretty sure he's an American posing as a Zimbabwean by the way he spells his words (-ize endings, -or instead of -our, etc.)

Bait thread, obviously.
Anyone notice how jza1993's gone AWOL since I posted this? I wonder why that is...

Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Anyone notice how jza1993's gone AWOL since I posted this? I wonder why that is...
He decided he might find more racist Christian conservatives in Russia so he made a thread for that. He may have gotten laughed off of that thread, too though.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:50 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,493,661 times
[quote=jza1993;37481646]By white I mean (European descent, non-middle eastern, non-Latino/Hispanic)large I don't just mean having over 100k people. I mean a culturally and economically important city, not the kind of place that when you tell someone where you're from, they say "where?"

Also, I'm a bit on the conservative side socially for someone my age being a Christian and more traditional in my views , I prefer larger cities because of jobs and amenities.

I am a little confused. On the one hand, you want to exclude Middle Eastern people, and on the other hand you state that you are a Christian...Is it just me, or am I missing something??? Christianity came from the Middle East and according to your belief, God incarnated himself as a Middle Easterner..(Jesus was Middle Eastern!) Or do you think he was a blond hair blue eyed Anglo-Saxon? So I guess you don't want to live near people like Jesus...Anyway, go to Omaha or Wichita or Boise.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:11 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,939,690 times
[quote=Republic of Michigan;37550654]
Quote:
By white I mean (European descent, non-middle eastern, non-Latino/Hispanic)large I don't just mean having over 100k people. I mean a culturally and economically important city, not the kind of place that when you tell someone where you're from, they say "where?"

Also, I'm a bit on the conservative side socially for someone my age being a Christian and more traditional in my views , I prefer larger cities because of jobs and amenities.

I am a little confused. On the one hand, you want to exclude Middle Eastern people, and on the other hand you state that you are a Christian...Is it just me, or am I missing something??? Christianity came from the Middle East and according to your belief, God incarnated himself as a Middle Easterner..(Jesus was Middle Eastern!) Or do you think he was a blond hair blue eyed Anglo-Saxon? So I guess you don't want to live near people like Jesus...Anyway, go to Omaha or Wichita or Boise.

Except a majority of people in those cities are not bigoted against gays or think evolution is a myth, which is part of his criteria.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:54 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Is Portland the type of place that still has values? Like here where I am now (Queens, NY - it was the only place in America where I knew someone) I was at a shopping mall in a mostly Jewish and Italian ethnicity suburb and I saw two men (presumably a couple) holding hands and they kissed etc. I don't particularly have any animosity to homosexuals but public displays of affection between anyone is something I frown upon in a place where there are lots of families with children. I could expect that in Manhattan or Hollywood but in shopping centre in a family oriented suburb I was expecting someone to tell them to tone down that kind of behavior in front of children. In my eyes that was a pretty clear measure of the moral compass (or lack thereof) of this community. Is something like I just describe setting that would happen in Portland?
Seeing gay or lesbian couples would be quite common in Portland, Oregon. It's a live and let live state.

I think people who share some of those values, these days, are gravitating towards states like Idaho and MOntana. Kind of a white supremacy, end-of-the-world, hate non-whites, low tolerance for gays, spout 'christian values (minus the love parts)' kind of place...

If a person can get over the 'hate non-white' part, they might also find a lot of camaraderie in places like Northern Africa or the Middle East (with extreme conservative values to the extent some states find homosexuality punishable by death).

Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Des Moines and its suburbs.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 AM

1,229 posts, read 973,401 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) haven't been mentioned yet. Both cities are over 60% non-Hispanic white. The metro area as a whole is about 80% non-Hispanic white.

If you want to live in a large city, (even in the predominantly white ones), you'll have to tolerate diversity. Now that you're no longer living under a tyrannical African dictatorship, maybe you'll find that you actually enjoy living in a country where people from all backgrounds can interact with each other in peace.
Says who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.