Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 893 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've lurked here before but didn't create an account until now.

Unlike... everyone I know, I really, really, really hate sunny weather and hot temperatures. 60-70 degrees in the daytime is already very warm for me with just short sleeves. 70+ is just not fun. My main problem is the sunshine because it makes me feel miserable.

What other parts of the country besides Seattle has overcast weather most of the year? I was thinking of maybe living there in the future but I'm not sure how expensive it is. Are there other areas in the US that are like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Your problem with Seattle will be summer. The Sound is really an inland intrusion of the sea. That means, any time the clouds exit (more common in summer than many realize) it can get on the hot side. Definitely above 70 and often around 80. Even worse in Portland, where you will crack 90 repeatedly every summer. To be fair, those cities are not on par with CA inland places in terms of summer heat and are definitely colder in winter than our inland.

For your requirements the best area is probably right here in CA, anywhere on the coast between LA and the OR border.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak91 View Post
Hello,
I've lurked here before but didn't create an account until now.

Unlike... everyone I know, I really, really, really hate sunny weather and hot temperatures. 60-70 degrees in the daytime is already very warm for me with just short sleeves. 70+ is just not fun. My main problem is the sunshine because it makes me feel miserable.

What other parts of the country besides Seattle has overcast weather most of the year? I was thinking of maybe living there in the future but I'm not sure how expensive it is. Are there other areas in the US that are like that?
Portland, OR
Anchorage, AK
San Francisco, CA (districts along the ocean such as Richmond, Sunset)

Old 12-01-2014, 04:29 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Perhaps,

go to Portland, OR for the winter.

go to Pacific Grove, CA for the summer.

...Quite a number of cloudy & foggy days in both areas.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
The year-round temperature in Eureka has little variation, always on the cool side and frequent rainy and foggy days:

Climate in Eureka, California

Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Your problem with Seattle will be summer. The Sound is really an inland intrusion of the sea. That means, any time the clouds exit (more common in summer than many realize) it can get on the hot side. Definitely above 70 and often around 80. Even worse in Portland, where you will crack 90 repeatedly every summer. To be fair, those cities are not on par with CA inland places in terms of summer heat and are definitely colder in winter than our inland.

For your requirements the best area is probably right here in CA, anywhere on the coast between LA and the OR border.
This. Seattle gets really hot for about 6 weeks every summer. I used to schedule my vacation for that exact period, because I couldn't hack it, and I'd go down to Berkeley, where it was always blissfully cool. Not to mention SF, where I'd spend a fair amount of time.

OP, Seattle isn't your ticket. The Olympic Peninsula is a little more temperate in the summers. Otherwise, your only other choice is coastal Alaska. I hope you don't mind long, dark winters. How portable is your profession, anyway?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The year-round temperature in Eureka has little variation, always on the cool side and frequent rainy and foggy days:

Climate in Eureka, California
I second Eureka, or maybe Crescent City, perhaps Brookings, Ore.?

In May of 2013, my husband, son and I visited Washington in late May. The Olympic Peninsula was amazing, with on and off rain, but when we were in Seattle, the weather turned warm, and we were told they were having unusually hot weather for the season. Ug! On the way south, we stayed over near Grants Pass and took a river boat ride, but it was 95 degrees! Yuck! We were supposed to stop at my brothers in Redding on the way down, (we had already stayed at his place 10 days before on the way up and had rain, which was nice) but there was an intense heat wave that was about to strike! 110 degrees!! Ouch! I called him up and told him, thanks for offering your spare rooms again, but I think we'll head to the coast! lol! We drove 80 miles west toward Crescent City, and the temp dropped 30 degrees! It was foggy and misty and soothing.

I too am not a fan of sun and heat on my skin and in my eyes! And I grew up in the San Fernando Valley!
My husband is from England, and when I spent a little time there, I fell in love with their "dreary" weather!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Lots o' one post wonders lately.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh

Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Pittsburgh and Northern WV. Elkins, WV is actually the most overcast place in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.