U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 PM

24 posts, read 22,225 times

Advertisements

If the city of Atlanta wasnt one of your favorites, but the region is a considerable option, Atlanta has a huge, sprawling metro area with many nice suburbs (the nicest suburbs are in the north, but they are pricey). It's very close to the mountains, it's not too far from the coast, and a plane to Newark probably wouldn't be too bad. Atlanta, as well as north GA (where I live) may get at least a smidgen of snow each year, but it's not bad at all. I think you might like the Atlanta area, but pick whatever you think is best. Hope I could help some! And have a good time in Nashville this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 AM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
I just remembered there are some "real" mountains at the eastern edge of the Cumberland plateau. Frozen Head state park might be within the 3 hour window. Also research the Cumberland Trail if it turns out you like Nashville.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 AM

43,366 posts, read 41,900,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post
It sounds like Nashville isn't getting too many votes. I'm heading there this weekend and will probably cross it off the list if I don't love it.
Rents in Nashville are surprisingly high, and there are tons of northern transplants here.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 AM

13,275 posts, read 17,794,424 times
Anywhere in Texas is out of OP 's travel time not to mention that tickets have gone up like crazy.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 23 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Don't bother worrying about snow in Nashville. They don't get enough to make a difference. It's more like "hey, snow, quick take a picture before it's gone!"
I live a ways north and east of Nashville, get more snow, and don't even own a snow shovel because it's not really necessary, a good broom is about all that's needed!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:48 AM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Oh by the way, Fort Worth does get snow and ice every year. And my husband and I fly back and forth from DFW or Tyler or Shreveport to PA/OH/WV at least 12 times a year and the round trip tickets generally cost less than $400. The flights average about 4-5 hours total.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,039,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, since my company is based in Charlotte but I work remote in NJ, so I can essentially live anywhere. I went to school in North Carolina and still have a lot of friends in both the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. I also hear great things about Nashville & Austin. I hate the snow, so Austin would win hands down, but it's far from my family (NY/NJ) and I don't really know anyone in the city. I love Charlotte, especially with the intent on purchasing a mountain home with a few friends in a few years, but I'm not quite ready to relinquish working from home . Raleigh is nice, but I feel a little isolated there. I'm heading to Nashville this weekend for the first time - everyone I talk to loves the city.

I like being around a lot of activities, but I'm not a huge bar/club guy (single, 24). I love reading, writing, sports, & outdoor activities so I don't need a lot of space (no pets either) but I would want the options provided to me in a decent sized city. Raleigh & Charlotte I would have roommates, while Nashville and Austin I would be on my own. I don't mind doing either.

Right now I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the options, so any guidance from northern transplants and locals would be extremely helpful! My ideal preferences:

- Within a 3-4 hour flight to Newark
- Rare, if any, snow shoveling
- Walking distance (<1.5 miles/30 mins) to downtown city
- <3 hour drive to mountains
- "Young Professional" city

Thanks!
Durham would seem to be a good match. You'd need a car, but wouldn't be as car-bound as other locations in the Triangle. There's a lot going on downtown (restaurants, condos, etc). I was back last summer after a 5 year absence and was amazed at the difference (usually when I say "amazed" in a sentence about growth in the Triangle it's follow by "and depressed because they're sucking the character out of the place" - not this time. The old Durham I know is still there, and the (re-)developed Durham looks great. I can't say this factually, but my feeling is that it's probably the lowest COL of the Triangle's major cities. It's a short flight and a "not bad" (7+ hour) drive (to northern NJ).

Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,447,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have to agree with this one. Almost any city in Texas is more exciting than Austin. I have no idea why or how Austin became the trendy place to live.
Having been to Dallas, Ft Worth, San Antonio, and Austin... I firmly disagree, based on what I've seen.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:42 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,132,244 times
I've been to Dallas and Austin and didn't like either of them. They were just WAY too congested, it was ridiculous. Way too many people, transplants and pollution. There are literally 158 people moving to Austin metro area each day. Austin is known for having some of the worst traffic in the nation, because the infrastructure can't keep up. However, I thought the Austin area was visually more appealing than Dallas. It's very Latino oriented, so you have to be comfortable with that, too.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have to agree with this one. Almost any city in Texas is more exciting than Austin. I have no idea why or how Austin became the trendy place to live.
Austin is a trendy city because its a kick ass party town. I love Austin, one my fav cities in the world to visit. Its hard to explain but I might agree it could be different if you live in the town and want to try something new. Austin rocks.. I love that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or