U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,557,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post

While I like Raleigh, I'm trying to get away from the northerners haha. Outside of my impatient driving and walking, I'm not really a stereotypical "northerner" and have always enjoyed the southern culture/friendliness. I love that the city is growing, but I don't want to end up in a place overrun with typical Bostonians or New Yorkers in a few years. I know that exists to some degree in every city.
I hear you, but you might be overstating the degree to which transplants pervade Raleigh. While some of the suburbs feel especially transplant-heavy (Cary, Morrisville, etc.), downtown Raleigh has its own vibe that still has plenty of southern-ness to it.

And like Frank said, Durham could be a fit. It doesn't have the best reputation locally, but a lot of that is based on old perceptions that don't hold true anymore. It's been getting a lot of positive recognition lately. The South's Tastiest Town: Durham, NC - Southern Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,884,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I have to agree with this one. Almost any city in Texas is more exciting than Austin. I have no idea why or how Austin became the trendy place to live.

Agreed. I lived in DFW for 15 years and during that stint spent nearly a year in Austin then headed back to Dallas when I saw it wasn't what it was touted as. Austin get's all this hype and I've never understood it. I've never seen a more over-rated city. But then again, you'll rarely catch a Texan saying anything bad about Texas period.

OP, I'd look at the Carolinas. If you are going to consider Dallas, I highly suggest you visit during August. The summers are long and very hot. August, they average triple digits. The heat is no joke in DFW. It's no joke in Austin with it's higher humidity either.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,942,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Agreed. I lived in DFW for 15 years and during that stint spent nearly a year in Austin then headed back to Dallas when I saw it wasn't what it was touted as. Austin get's all this hype and I've never understood it. I've never seen a more over-rated city. But then again, you'll rarely catch a Texan saying anything bad about Texas period.

OP, I'd look at the Carolinas. If you are going to consider Dallas, I highly suggest you visit during August. The summers are long and very hot. August, they average triple digits. The heat is no joke in DFW. It's no joke in Austin with it's higher humidity either.
Austin Rocks, coolest city I ever been to.. great party town, the women are gorgeous and friendly and warm most of the year, very inviting place.. love the live music.. whats not too like? I agree its a little expensive now because its over populated but thats because its a really cool town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or