U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,821 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, since my company is based in Charlotte but I work remote in NJ, so I can essentially live anywhere. I went to school in North Carolina and still have a lot of friends in both the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. I also hear great things about Nashville & Austin. I hate the snow, so Austin would win hands down, but it's far from my family (NY/NJ) and I don't really know anyone in the city. I love Charlotte, especially with the intent on purchasing a mountain home with a few friends in a few years, but I'm not quite ready to relinquish working from home . Raleigh is nice, but I feel a little isolated there. I'm heading to Nashville this weekend for the first time - everyone I talk to loves the city.

I like being around a lot of activities, but I'm not a huge bar/club guy (single, 24). I love reading, writing, sports, & outdoor activities so I don't need a lot of space (no pets either) but I would want the options provided to me in a decent sized city. Raleigh & Charlotte I would have roommates, while Nashville and Austin I would be on my own. I don't mind doing either.

Right now I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the options, so any guidance from northern transplants and locals would be extremely helpful! My ideal preferences:

- Within a 3-4 hour flight to Newark
- Rare, if any, snow shoveling
- Walking distance (<1.5 miles/30 mins) to downtown city
- <3 hour drive to mountains
- "Young Professional" city

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,826,606 times
Reputation: 2858
Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, and Nashville are all rather boring so I would suggest throwing a dart at the map and seeing which city it comes closest to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 07:03 PM
 
5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times
Reputation: 4911
Quote:
Austin, and Nashville are all rather boring
Most people would disagree with this.

Nashville is about 4 hours from real mountains but the Cumberland plateau might be an acceptable substitute < 2 hours away. Austin isn't even close, you'd have to make do with the Hill Country.

What about Atlanta? Real mountains < 2 hours away* and lots of interesting walkable neighborhoods.

* that is if you leave Sat morning as opposed to Friday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
43,228 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Reputation: 83025
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, since my company is based in Charlotte but I work remote in NJ, so I can essentially live anywhere. I went to school in North Carolina and still have a lot of friends in both the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. I also hear great things about Nashville & Austin. I hate the snow, so Austin would win hands down, but it's far from my family (NY/NJ) and I don't really know anyone in the city. I love Charlotte, especially with the intent on purchasing a mountain home with a few friends in a few years, but I'm not quite ready to relinquish working from home . Raleigh is nice, but I feel a little isolated there. I'm heading to Nashville this weekend for the first time - everyone I talk to loves the city.

I like being around a lot of activities, but I'm not a huge bar/club guy (single, 24). I love reading, writing, sports, & outdoor activities so I don't need a lot of space (no pets either) but I would want the options provided to me in a decent sized city. Raleigh & Charlotte I would have roommates, while Nashville and Austin I would be on my own. I don't mind doing either.

Right now I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the options, so any guidance from northern transplants and locals would be extremely helpful! My ideal preferences:

- Within a 3-4 hour flight to Newark
- Rare, if any, snow shoveling
- Walking distance (<1.5 miles/30 mins) to downtown city
- <3 hour drive to mountains
- "Young Professional" city

Thanks!
Rent or buy?

Budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63367
Austin is the outlier in your list. It's not only way out of the region compared to the others, it's also a lot different in personality.

Austin can be a real party town, but that's only one aspect of it's personality. It is large enough to offer something for just about everyone. The area offers TONS of outdoor activities in a very scenic setting (the Texas Hill Country is famous for it's beauty - but it's a very different sort of beauty than the Smoky Mountains).

The people in Austin are very friendly and there's a very busy music and club scene (all sorts of music). I don't think you'd have trouble meeting people and making friends.

It's also close to San Antonio which has a very unique character all it's own.

You'd be about five hours from Newark by plane.

I like all the cities you mentioned, with Nashville being my least favorite (but it's still a nice town - I just like the others better because Nashville seems a bit too touristy for my taste).

If Texas appeals to you, have you considered Fort Worth? While it's got a lot going on, it's not quite the party town that Austin is - it's more laid back and more artsy. It also has a really cool downtown - two downtowns actually (the contemporary down town and the Stockyards area which is the historic district). You would be about four or five hours from the Ozark/Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas, which are really beautiful and one of our nation's best kept secrets. Tons of hiking, white water rafting, etc. Austin is very appealing but it's not near any mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,145 posts, read 2,826,606 times
Reputation: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If Texas appeals to you, have you considered Fort Worth? While it's got a lot going on, it's not quite the party town that Austin is - it's more laid back and more artsy. It also has a really cool downtown - two downtowns actually (the contemporary down town and the Stockyards area which is the historic district). You would be about four or five hours from the Ozark/Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas, which are really beautiful and one of our nation's best kept secrets. Tons of hiking, white water rafting, etc. Austin is very appealing but it's not near any mountains.
I have to agree with this one. Almost any city in Texas is more exciting than Austin. I have no idea why or how Austin became the trendy place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 09:37 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Reputation: 1650
Atlanta and Charleston could also be included as options, might not do any harm looking into those.

You won't find a ton of snow in Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, or Atlanta and Charleston if you look into them. I'm sure Nashville receives more snow than any of those, it's located in an Upper South state but the elevation is higher than Charlotte or Raleigh over in NC.

I can speak for Raleigh, my hometown. Raleigh has grown tremendously in the past 20 years or so, and it's not slowing down. You won't be alone if you move down here, plenty of Northeastern transplants have settled around Raleigh. The mountains are about 3-4 hours to the west. The Boone area is around 3 hours, the Asheville area closer to 4 hours. Those two are probably the most popular areas in the mountains. Kind of a trek, in fact Raleigh is much closer to the coast so that seems to be a more popular vacation destination. However, the mountains are certainly doable. Downtown Raleigh is becoming more trendy, but I think it's kind of pricey to live down there. If you want walking distance, I'd definitely do a lot of research. I'm sure Raleigh qualifies as a "Young Professional" city, largely due to Research Triangle Park down the road. Like I said above, Raleigh barely gets any snow. AT LEAST two days of snow a year, if that. In fact, Raleigh is quite a humid area. The summers are long, hot, and extremely humid. Despite being way up in North Carolina, it's probably the equivalent of Atlanta regarding temperature. You won't have any troubles traveling to Newark, flight would last an hour and a half and the drive would be around 8 hours. The thing about Raleigh, it's like most southern metros and definitely New South metros. There's a lot of suburban sprawl. Honestly, if you drive north from the heart of downtown Raleigh, it'll take you at least 35 minutes or so before you're out the suburbs and into some rural areas. Cary, located to the west of Raleigh, is basically one giant suburban town of more than 100,000 built off the back of RTP. In this case, Raleigh gets some criticism for being "too vanilla" or "lacking character." This was a small capital city until the RTP boom, so it's not as historic as some of the other southern cities (Richmond, Charleston, etc.). Maybe this is why you felt a little isolated, everything is definitely spread out around Raleigh. If you move here, you better have a car. Just being realistic, and it's the same story with Charlotte.

I could go on forever, but I think I've said enough. Please ask questions if you'd like, best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,472 posts, read 7,290,097 times
Reputation: 2217
Savannah is also a fun city to live! 2 hours from the Florida border, too. That said, snow is extremely rare there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 10:45 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,821 times
Reputation: 17
Thanks everyone! To answer some questions-

I'm split on rent/buy. If the real estate is trending up I wouldn't mind buying but I would probably rent to start, just to make sure I enjoy the place.

I've visited Austin (for a blurry evening) and Forth Worth. Austin was fun from what I remember, while Fort Worth was for work and I never really had a chance to experience that area. I'll be heading back in January for a Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Austin trip.

I've been to Atlanta a few times throughout my life and while it's not a favorite, I did have fun there. Charleston is one of my favorite cities to visit, but I didn't feel like I could live there. I haven't seen Savannah in about a decade, so I'll have to check that out again.

While I like Raleigh, I'm trying to get away from the northerners haha. Outside of my impatient driving and walking, I'm not really a stereotypical "northerner" and have always enjoyed the southern culture/friendliness. I love that the city is growing, but I don't want to end up in a place overrun with typical Bostonians or New Yorkers in a few years. I know that exists to some degree in every city.

It sounds like Nashville isn't getting too many votes. I'm heading there this weekend and will probably cross it off the list if I don't love it.

Again, thanks for all the insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzzy34 View Post
Thanks everyone! To answer some questions-

I'm split on rent/buy. If the real estate is trending up I wouldn't mind buying but I would probably rent to start, just to make sure I enjoy the place.

I've visited Austin (for a blurry evening) and Forth Worth. Austin was fun from what I remember, while Fort Worth was for work and I never really had a chance to experience that area. I'll be heading back in January for a Dallas/Houston/San Antonio/Austin trip.

I've been to Atlanta a few times throughout my life and while it's not a favorite, I did have fun there. Charleston is one of my favorite cities to visit, but I didn't feel like I could live there. I haven't seen Savannah in about a decade, so I'll have to check that out again.

While I like Raleigh, I'm trying to get away from the northerners haha. Outside of my impatient driving and walking, I'm not really a stereotypical "northerner" and have always enjoyed the southern culture/friendliness. I love that the city is growing, but I don't want to end up in a place overrun with typical Bostonians or New Yorkers in a few years. I know that exists to some degree in every city.

It sounds like Nashville isn't getting too many votes. I'm heading there this weekend and will probably cross it off the list if I don't love it.

Again, thanks for all the insight!
Sounds good! You could also look into Columbia, SC. Might be a good city for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top