U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am beginning a drive from Seattle this Friday night after work and hope to arrive in San Francisco Saturday morning. I plan to drive back to Seattle around 7pm, hoping to arrive in Seattle by 10am for work. I realize that this is not enough time for such a long drive but my cousin is visiting and I can't take a day off. I don't mind doing this drive.

I plan to drive 6-7 hours (half of the way) on I-5. By that time I close to Medford OR. I will stay the night there and will wake up at 5am to continue the drive to SF.

My questions are:
1. I read the road conditions this time of year can be dangerous Around Medford especially the passes like Grants pass. What do you recommend I should do?

2. I would also like to drive on pacific coast, at which point of the trip do you recommend that I switch to pacific coast from I-5? And can I take this all the way down to SF factoring the time constraint.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:19 PM

370 posts, read 933,327 times
Default Seattle to SF

I just did the drive to LA and back last week. I also did the drive in the winter manytimes. The drive to the coast can be tricky during the winter. Grants pass to Crescent City is doable in the daytime. You should carry chains with you the CHP may turn you back if you don't have them. Seattle to Medford is about 7 hours from Kent. Depending on the time you may run into traffic in Portland. Carry a paper map because cell phone service may not be available in the mountains. Have fun on your trip. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM

78,618 posts, read 70,508,089 times
You can't get off work Friday a little early, so you can leave around 3pm? The earlier you get to Medford, the better, in terms of avoiding most of the snow, i.e. maximizing the best hours for clear driving conditions.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,868,637 times
I've done this drive many times, and I'm getting ready to do it again in a couple of weeks, but I can't imagine doing it and turning around so quickly. Central Oregon-far northern Calif. can be a pretty boring or tedious drive if you encounter bad weather; and at this time of year it seems like it is always raining in central Oregon.

And you really don't have time for the coastal drive.

To me, your plan is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but it just is. If you want to do this trip and back in less than 24 hours, you need to fly.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:59 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,221,323 times
You're going to be a danger on the road not having slept since waking up Friday morning. That is extremely hazardous. You also wouldn't be doing your employer any favors by coming in on Sunday after you've been awake for 48 hours.

It's 1600 miles there and back, and if you have a car that gets 30 miles per gallon you're still going to end up paying $150 in gas. You can get a plane ticket for that. Just fly.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM

347 posts, read 553,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You're going to be a danger on the road not having slept since waking up Friday morning. That is extremely hazardous. You also wouldn't be doing your employer any favors by coming in on Sunday after you've been awake for 48 hours.

It's 1600 miles there and back, and if you have a car that gets 30 miles per gallon you're still going to end up paying $150 in gas. You can get a plane ticket for that. Just fly.
That's not really what he said. He's driving 6 hours, renting a hotel room, driving another 6 hours and arrives saturday morning. I presume he'll get a nights rest saturday, have fun sunday, then drive 6 hours, rent another hotel, and drive another 6 hours. It's certainly not ideal but it's not like he's doing this all in one day and not getting any sleep...this spans several days and gives him three nights of sleep.

You're partially right, though, while it's not actually cheaper to get a round trip ticket to san francisco than it is to drive, if he timed it so he didn't have to pay for the extra days of hotels (so, left saturday morning and came back sunday night) it would be cheaper than the drive and the hotels...and much less time and hazard as well. You don't want a car in san francisco anyway.

If you insist on driving, though, there's no point driving on the coast since you're driving at night...nothing to see...it will only lengthen your travel time and not for any benefit.. Road conditions on friday night seem to be decent...not yet cold enough to snow or freeze it seems...will probably be raining.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,424,430 times
We have done that drive a lot, including three times this year. If you go straight through stopping only for gas and a bite it's 14 hours. We always considered Roseburg to be the best half-way point if we were stopping for the night, nicer place to stay and better to hit the summit when light. The one time I made the trip in winter and got stuck for 2 hours it was on the Siskiyou Pass summit between Medford and the CA border when a truck jacknifed and there was a foot of new snow before they cleared it. We also had some snow there last April but not enough to be any bother. I think the Oregon coast is the most scenic but pretty far out of your way to divert between Portland and Grant's Pass. In CA, 101 goes inland some and is slow going, and I5 is a long way to the east which means a lot more time and gas. If it were me, on the way back take 199 at Grant's Pass to 101. Then stay the night in Brookings at a waterfront hotel, and continue up 101 in the morning to Seaside and Astoria, then go back to I5 on 30 then 430/Lewis & Clark Bridge. While in Oregon, look for Dutch Bros. coffee, much better than Starbucks.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,868,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
That's not really what he said. He's driving 6 hours, renting a hotel room, driving another 6 hours and arrives saturday morning. I presume he'll get a nights rest saturday, have fun sunday, then drive 6 hours, rent another hotel, and drive another 6 hours. It's certainly not ideal but it's not like he's doing this all in one day and not getting any sleep...this spans several days and gives him three nights of sleep.
That's not how I read his post. I read that he plans on arriving in SF on Saturday morning, then turning around the same day and driving all night so he can be at work on Sunday morning 10 am. That is ridiculous.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,637 times
You do realize it could take over 2 hours just to get past Olympia on a Friday evening?

Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 PM

347 posts, read 553,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
That's not how I read his post. I read that he plans on arriving in SF on Saturday morning, then turning around the same day and driving all night so he can be at work on Sunday morning 10 am. That is ridiculous.
You may be right...I read it over again and he doesn't really specify what day he wants to be back at work, just 10am...I suppose I just assumed that since most people start work on monday he would too, which might not be the case.

That is one less day of sleep but he still did say he was going to split the drive in half (at least on the way there) and rent a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or