U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:44 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,005,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, when they come to the French Canadian Riviera (the Coast of Maine) they wear speedos. Some of them can be mildly obscene.
Consider yourself lucky that they're wearing anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

872 posts, read 1,408,393 times
Beaumont - Port Arthur, TX has some French influences. I use to walk home from school and I would always pass this grave yard and some of the tombstones were written in French. There were also a few families in the neighborhood that would talk some type of broken french (that's what my parents called it). My mom told me that my Grandfather was partially french and he would speak to my grandmother in broken french all the time (English was a second language to my grandmother from what I was told).

I totally ignored the whole aspect growing up there, but I am disappointed I never took the chance to explore my Cajun/French roots more.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Central Pennsylvania: A Slip of the Tongue: Frenchville Is Starting to Lose Its French : Linguistics: Central Pennsylvania community now has only five remaining residents who speak the unique dialect. - Los Angeles Times
In addition to Frenchville, there is Bellefonte, the county seat of Centre (not Center) County.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM

9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That article was written in 1993. There may not be any French speakers now.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
That article was written in 1993. There may not be any French speakers now.
I am aware of that. However, it shows the French influence. I know there are native French speakers still in LA and upper New England, but it also looks like the French-speakers are dying out in MO as well. Most of these posts are about long ago influence except for those areas. Here's another from way back: Papillion, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-08-2014, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
While it is a modern population, I recently read there are some 60,000 French expats in New York.

I would guess there is also a not inconsiderable number of Quebecois, and Hatian and African Francophones as well.
Remember a Hatian immigrants, or rather their children in my high school (Long Island). 136,000 New Yorkers were born in Haiti

Fact Sheet on Haitian Immigrants in the United States | Center for Immigration Studies

Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

9,521 posts, read 9,399,709 times
Franco-American Heritage Center in Lewiston, Maine:

http://goo.gl/maps/R1SNS

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
City of Detroit was founded by the French as a fur trading post. It's flag has the fleur-de-lis on it. We all know Cadillac the car, but Cadillac is actually the surname of the founder of Detroit. Detroit's name is comes from the French for "strait", as in the body of water it sits next to.

And consider part of the city planning. Some of it is based on Paris. In fact, Detroit was once called "Paris of The Midwest".
It's the same here, right across the border, almost all of our streets running North-south are french names, named after the families that owned land along the river in the city's infancy!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,819,909 times
Very interesting and knowledgeable thread.

I'd usually associate the Midwest with German ancestry. I never thought about the French influence in many parts of the Midwest.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Very interesting and knowledgeable thread.

I'd usually associate the Midwest with German ancestry. I never thought about the French influence in many parts of the Midwest.
It only stands to reason. I haven't either, but nobody would think of New Orleans as a German place either. Thousands settled there in the 19th century, but today they are pretty well integrated into the Creole and Cajun cultures of the surrounding region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or