U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Durham
660 posts, read 812,055 times
Reputation: 520

Advertisements

Thanks AJNEOA -- I grew up in Southeastern PA, so I know it's still too cold. Winter temperatures don't get to be what I'm wanting until you hit North Carolina and south. But several people have suggested New Orleans and Charlotte, so I am investigating both. Right now my #1 option is Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, but I would likely need to keep my car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Having grown up in Western NYS, I would recommend considering Philly and Baltimore. Both very walkable with good mass transit (Philly is stronger here). Philly gets an average of 22" of snow per year and has temps close to 50 as a high in December. Not far off of what you'd get south of here in Virginia (I lived in Richmond as well and it averaged 11" and was about 5 - 8 degrees warmer...on average). MUCH more mild than Western NY. The weather may not be exactly what you're looking for, but the COL for what you get is very solid.

If that's not what you're looking for, you should consider some of the older cities in the south like New Orleans. Not the best transit, but at least it's walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,338,696 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Thanks AJNEOA -- I grew up in Southeastern PA, so I know it's still too cold. Winter temperatures don't get to be what I'm wanting until you hit North Carolina and south. But several people have suggested New Orleans and Charlotte, so I am investigating both. Right now my #1 option is Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, but I would likely need to keep my car.
Haha, very funny that I recommended where you grew up.

I wish there were larger cities down south that offer what you're looking for. I love Wilmington NC, Charleston, Asheville, etc., but they're all pretty small cities (with limited job markets). Out west there's always Portland OR as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Durham
660 posts, read 812,055 times
Reputation: 520
Default Indeed!

I know - small world, right?

Yeah, it seems like all the cities with reliable mass transit and walkability are in the Northeast or North.

A job is not an issue really - my income is portable - though that limits my budget and I will eventually be looking to supplement it with something part-time.

I LOVE Portland, but I lived for 13 years in Seattle and I'm OVER the weather there too. :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Haha, very funny that I recommended where you grew up.

I wish there were larger cities down south that offer what you're looking for. I love Wilmington NC, Charleston, Asheville, etc., but they're all pretty small cities (with limited job markets). Out west there's always Portland OR as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,052,557 times
Reputation: 2543
Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are -- by no means -- "warm" in the wintertime. In fact, I wouldn't even describe winters in those cities as having "mild" winters, either -- average wintertime low temps hover in the high 20's / low 30's, strong potential for ice (ice storms are a common winter occurrence in much of the Piedmont South), days and sometimes weeks of overcast skies, dead-looking landscapes, snowstorms on occasion (and I'm not talking "dustings"), etc.

The major TX cities (i.e., Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio) aren't really "mild" in the wintertime either, especially Dallas. You would think that after those long, oppressively hot and humid summers you'd at least be rewarded with "warm" or, at the very least, "mild" winters, but unfortunately, that's not the case. It gets quite cold for several months in TX, and ice storms are a regular winter occurrence in much of the state.

Vegas is colder than nearby Phoenix and certainly Los Angeles, but at least it's dry and sunny 85% - 90% of the time. By comparison, TX cities are cold, damp, and overcast in the wintertime. Ugh.

IMO, "mild" winter weather cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, and Tampa, and the only "warm" winter weather cities on the US mainland are Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, and Ft. Myers-Naples. There's a reason nearly 20 million Americans live in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,338,696 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I know - small world, right?

Yeah, it seems like all the cities with reliable mass transit and walkability are in the Northeast or North.

A job is not an issue really - my income is portable - though that limits my budget and I will eventually be looking to supplement it with something part-time.

I LOVE Portland, but I lived for 13 years in Seattle and I'm OVER the weather there too. :-)
What about San Juan PR? If you don't mind being further away and your job is portable, that could be really fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 1,260,932 times
Reputation: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are -- by no means -- "warm" in the wintertime. In fact, I wouldn't even describe winters in those cities as having "mild" winters, either -- average wintertime low temps hover in the high 20's / low 30's, strong potential for ice (ice storms are a common winter occurrence in much of the Piedmont South), days and sometimes weeks of overcast skies, dead-looking landscapes, snowstorms on occasion (and I'm not talking "dustings"), etc.

The major TX cities (i.e., Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio) aren't really "mild" in the wintertime either, especially Dallas. You would think that after those long, oppressively hot and humid summers you'd at least be rewarded with "warm" or, at the very least, "mild" winters, but unfortunately, that's not the case. It gets quite cold for several months in TX, and ice storms are a regular winter occurrence in much of the state.

Vegas is colder than nearby Phoenix and certainly Los Angeles, but at least it's dry and sunny 85% - 90% of the time. By comparison, TX cities are cold, damp, and overcast in the wintertime. Ugh.

IMO, "mild" winter weather cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, and Tampa, and the only "warm" winter weather cities on the US mainland are Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, and Ft. Myers-Naples. There's a reason nearly 20 million Americans live in FL.
Your definition of mild seems skewed towards hot temps, IMO. If mild is defined by daytime highs between 45 and 65, most of TX's cities hit that from Nov to April. DFW will dip below that for some snaps, but it doesn't usually last more than a week. "Cold, damp and overcast" is also not an accurate description of TX cities, especially not Austin and SA, but not DFW or Houston either. There are more cloudy days and days with precip than the desert SW, but for some people, the variety (and resulting greenery) is worth it. I have lived in the Pacific NW and two different cities in TX. The gloom factor in TX is nothing like Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Durham
660 posts, read 812,055 times
Reputation: 520
Default Perspective

Thanks for the input!

I have friends in Raleigh and they have told me something slightly different; and I've also been tracking the weather in that area for a few months now, and it generally runs 20-30 degrees warmer than where I am in Buffalo, NY. For example it's 33 degrees here in Buffalo today, but 54 degrees in Durham (if you believe the Weather Channel). I'm fine with a few cold weeks and even a little snow or ice; here it's fairly freezing from early November through April, with temperatures at 20 degrees or well below due to wind chills for weeks. So, compared to 20 degrees, 45 feels "warm".

I think it all depends on your perspective. We set a new record for 24-hour snowfall here in Western New York this year; 74". After that, nothing down there could seem harsh.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are -- by no means -- "warm" in the wintertime. In fact, I wouldn't even describe winters in those cities as having "mild" winters, either -- average wintertime low temps hover in the high 20's / low 30's, strong potential for ice (ice storms are a common winter occurrence in much of the Piedmont South), days and sometimes weeks of overcast skies, dead-looking landscapes, snowstorms on occasion (and I'm not talking "dustings"), etc.

The major TX cities (i.e., Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio) aren't really "mild" in the wintertime either, especially Dallas. You would think that after those long, oppressively hot and humid summers you'd at least be rewarded with "warm" or, at the very least, "mild" winters, but unfortunately, that's not the case. It gets quite cold for several months in TX, and ice storms are a regular winter occurrence in much of the state.

Vegas is colder than nearby Phoenix and certainly Los Angeles, but at least it's dry and sunny 85% - 90% of the time. By comparison, TX cities are cold, damp, and overcast in the wintertime. Ugh.

IMO, "mild" winter weather cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, and Tampa, and the only "warm" winter weather cities on the US mainland are Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, and Ft. Myers-Naples. There's a reason nearly 20 million Americans live in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Durham
660 posts, read 812,055 times
Reputation: 520
Default Interesting!

Now that is an interesting idea . . . my main issue is that I'm going to want to find part-time supplemental work after I relocate to make some additional money, and that could be harder in PR I would think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What about San Juan PR? If you don't mind being further away and your job is portable, that could be really fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,338,696 times
Reputation: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Now that is an interesting idea . . . my main issue is that I'm going to want to find part-time supplemental work after I relocate to make some additional money, and that could be harder in PR I would think.
Yeah, I could see that. Plus San Juan's PT isn't the best. The older areas of town are really walkable and there's the Tren Urbano...then there's a lot of auto congestion. But...it's PR and I have to imagine you could live on the cheap. Either way you should go check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,923,550 times
Reputation: 4778
San Juan PR and Mexico City would be good choices lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top