U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,096,781 times

Advertisements

No they wouldn't; the crime is downright terrible in both places.

As for the cities like Houston, New Orleans, etc...yes, they do get some cold snaps every year for maybe 3 weeks total (non-consecutive, mostly). But generally, the winters are mild: days in the 60sF with nights in the 40sF. The humidity stays a bit high in winter, so it might feel a bit cooler, but there are also some days when the weather gets to 70F or above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Houston does occasionally get some bitter cold snaps that can bring temps below the freezing point, even sometimes bringing snow, but they're very rare and sporadic, and those cold snaps rarely last for more than a couple of days when they happen. It can go for many years without ever happening at all, and then you might get one or two winters where it happens more than once. However, it is so unusual and rare that you really can't put Houston in the same winter weather category as cities like Dallas or Atlanta, where that usually happens at least once every winter.

The typical Houston winter weather is very mild, and occasionally even warm enough to break a light sweat. I remember more than a few Christmases where we went swimming in unheated pools when I was growing up there.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM

660 posts, read 811,102 times
Default Warmth!

I'll say "amen!" to this! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

As for the cities like Houston, New Orleans, etc...yes, they do get some cold snaps every year for maybe 3 weeks total (non-consecutive, mostly). But generally, the winters are mild: days in the 60sF with nights in the 40sF. The humidity stays a bit high in winter, so it might feel a bit cooler, but there are also some days when the weather gets to 70F or above.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,258,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

I spent a year in Mexico City. It's no more dangerous than New Orleans. In fact, I would wager that it is less so. I love both cities, even with their elevated crime rates. Mexico City is probably the most underrated city in North America.

In Mexico, the narco action is in the north and along the Pacific coast mostly. The Yucatan and DF are quite safe, as long as you use common sense (like anywhere else).

Old 12-04-2014, 04:58 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,234,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are -- by no means -- "warm" in the wintertime. In fact, I wouldn't even describe winters in those cities as having "mild" winters, either -- average wintertime low temps hover in the high 20's / low 30's, strong potential for ice (ice storms are a common winter occurrence in much of the Piedmont South), days and sometimes weeks of overcast skies, dead-looking landscapes, snowstorms on occasion (and I'm not talking "dustings"), etc.

The major TX cities (i.e., Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio) aren't really "mild" in the wintertime either, especially Dallas. You would think that after those long, oppressively hot and humid summers you'd at least be rewarded with "warm" or, at the very least, "mild" winters, but unfortunately, that's not the case. It gets quite cold for several months in TX, and ice storms are a regular winter occurrence in much of the state.

Vegas is colder than nearby Phoenix and certainly Los Angeles, but at least it's dry and sunny 85% - 90% of the time. By comparison, TX cities are cold, damp, and overcast in the wintertime. Ugh.

IMO, "mild" winter weather cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Orlando, and Tampa, and the only "warm" winter weather cities on the US mainland are Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, WPB, and Ft. Myers-Naples. There's a reason nearly 20 million Americans live in FL.
The OP lives in Buffalo and lived in Seattle. The south's wintery overcast is nothing compared to those 2 cities. It's still brighter with much more sunbreaks and clear, sunny days. It would still be a huge improvement. It's unfortunate that when a snow/ice event happen the south is not really equipped to handle it, but given that OP lived in Seattle for a good while s/he would be pretty much used to that (semi) hysteria. At least, it'll be done sooner.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh are -- by no means -- "warm" in the wintertime. In fact, I wouldn't even describe winters in those cities as having "mild" winters, either -- average wintertime low temps hover in the high 20's / low 30's, strong potential for ice (ice storms are a common winter occurrence in much of the Piedmont South), days and sometimes weeks of overcast skies, dead-looking landscapes, snowstorms on occasion (and I'm not talking "dustings"), etc.

The major TX cities (i.e., Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio) aren't really "mild" in the wintertime either, especially Dallas. You would think that after those long, oppressively hot and humid summers you'd at least be rewarded with "warm" or, at the very least, "mild" winters, but unfortunately, that's not the case. It gets quite cold for several months in TX, and ice storms are a regular winter occurrence in much of the state.
Houston's winter is very mild, and same for Austin and San Antonio I'd assume. A couple freezes every year in Houston doesn't mean it's not warm.

Atlanta doesn't seem to get that bad, I frequently check the weather around the nation and Atlanta matches Baton Rouge more often then not. Very rarely have I seen Atlanta more than 10F colder than Baton Rouge.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 PM

Default You Have It!

Exactly right -- I'm not looking for it to be 70 in December -- if I were I'd be off to Tucson. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The OP lives in Buffalo and lived in Seattle. The south's wintery overcast is nothing compared to those 2 cities. It's still brighter with much more sunbreaks and clear, sunny days. It would still be a huge improvement. It's unfortunate that when a snow/ice event happen the south is not really equipped to handle it, but given that OP lived in Seattle for a good while s/he would be pretty much used to that (semi) hysteria. At least, it'll be done sooner.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
What about Fayetteville, AR? Never been but heard great things.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:46 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
I think it's beneficial to have a few months in the 50's. That way, when it happens, you can appreciate the weather in the other 9 months of the year. If it was like Florida and warm all year round, you might start to complain about it. In places like Charlotte, the trees start budding and producing flowers in late February. I couldn't believe it, when I was there. Here in CT, that doesn't happen until around May 1.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Default Eternal Winter! LOL!

I agree nep321 -- it's the same way here in Western New York -- it really doesn't start to get decent out (we don't see much Spring) until late April or early May. I'm fine with 4 seasons, I just want less extreme cold and shorter periods of it. If Buffalo were warmer and had a better economy it would meet my criteria; it's very walkable and affordable. But who wants to walk everywhere if it's 20 degrees and windy? Not me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think it's beneficial to have a few months in the 50's. That way, when it happens, you can appreciate the weather in the other 9 months of the year. If it was like Florida and warm all year round, you might start to complain about it. In places like Charlotte, the trees start budding and producing flowers in late February. I couldn't believe it, when I was there. Here in CT, that doesn't happen until around May 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or