U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:02 PM
 
48,502 posts, read 45,684,834 times
Reputation: 15438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I can't believe I missed this. No, those communities are suburbs of nearby cities. Vestal has the Binghamton University campus, but there is a relatively good sized Asian population outside of the campus. Vestal Central School District Population and Races - USA.comô

Here are some Upstate NY public schools that I could find with a relatively substantial Asian student population: African Road Elementary School - Public School

Vestal Hills Elementary School - Public School

Christopher Columbus Elementary School - Public School

Kernan Elementary School - Public School

Thomas Jefferson Elementary School - Public School

Senator James H Donovan Middle School - Public School

Floyd S Winslow Elementary School - Public School

Charles H Roth Middle School - Public School

Ethel K Fyle Elementary School - Public School

Tecumseh Elementary School - Public School

Enders Road Elementary School - Public School

I'll add more later.......
I checked the locations of the schools. A few of them are in Utica. From what I've read Utica has a sizable population of refugees. In terms of its Asian population, there is a sizable population of Burmese refugees in Utica. Utica, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:31 PM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I checked the locations of the schools. A few of them are in Utica. From what I've read Utica has a sizable population of refugees. In terms of its Asian population, there is a sizable population of Burmese refugees in Utica. Utica, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, it is a very diverse urban school district and the city is known for its diverse refugee population, as well as its long time and large Italian population.

I added more schools and there are others I could/may add later. Some will be suburban and some will be urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM
 
48,502 posts, read 45,684,834 times
Reputation: 15438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, it is a very diverse urban school district and the city is known for its diverse refugee population, as well as its long time and large Italian population.

I added more schools and there are others I could/may add later. Some will be suburban and some will be urban.
Utica has been called "Second Chance City" mainly because many immigrants have gone there to start anew.
I've also looked up Vestal,NY, from one of the schools you posted. 8.3% of the population is Asian. And Henrietta,NY is around 7% Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Utica has been called "Second Chance City" mainly because many immigrants have gone there to start anew.
I've also looked up Vestal,NY, from one of the schools you posted. 8.3% of the population is Asian. And Henrietta,NY is around 7% Asian.
Yes, Syracuse's North Side is similar to Utica as well.

Vestal, a suburb of Binghamton, has Binghamton University, but has a good sized Asian population outside of the campus. The Binghamton area gets its share of refugees, with quite a few coming from SE Asia.

Henrietta, a suburb of Rochester, is home to Rochester Institute of Technology, but again, has a sizable Asian population outside of the campus. It arguably has the most diverse suburban SD in Upstate NY. Adjacent Brighton, between Henrietta and Rochester is about 12-13% Asian. I believe that Brighton has the only Asian to be head coach of a HS Football program in NY State, to my knowledge. Football: Lian takes on challenge - Gate House Actually, the area of Rochester near Brighton(the SE Quadrant), also has an Asian presence: South Clinton Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-08-2014 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:21 PM
 
48,502 posts, read 45,684,834 times
Reputation: 15438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, Syracuse's North Side is similar to Utica as well.

Vestal, a suburb of Binghamton, has Binghamton University, but has a good sized Asian population outside of the campus. The Binghamton area gets its share of refugees, with quite a few coming from SE Asia.

Henrietta, a suburb of Rochester, is home to Rochester Institute of Technology, but again, has a sizable Asian population outside of the campus. It arguably has the most diverse suburban SD in Upstate NY. Adjacent Brighton, between Henrietta and Rochester is about 12-13% Asian. I believe that Brighton has the only Asian to be head coach of a HS Football program in NY State, to my knowledge. Football: Lian takes on challenge - Gate House
I didn't know any of that. However it does make a bit of sense to me now that I know.

Technically, what I'm mentioned is part of a large metro, but it is similar to what you mention. When I lived in Cobb County(metro Atlanta area) I was in school. Kennesaw's Asian population has increased considerably over the last ten years. Kennesaw is home to Kennesaw State University(my alma mater), and Marietta(which is 10 miles south on Interstate 75) has Southern Polytechnic State University. SPSU has a very large Asian student body, particularly Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I didn't know any of that. However it does make a bit of sense to me now that I know.

Technically, what I'm mentioned is part of a large metro, but it is similar to what you mention. When I lived in Cobb County(metro Atlanta area) I was in school. Kennesaw's Asian population has increased considerably over the last ten years. Kennesaw is home to Kennesaw State University(my alma mater), and Marietta(which is 10 miles south on Interstate 75) has Southern Polytechnic State University. SPSU has a very large Asian student body, particularly Chinese.
It is very similar, as the University of Rochester isn't too far away in the SE Quadrant of Rochester and there are multiple hospitals(including the University of Rochester Medical Center) in that area of the city as well. University of Rochester - College

Rochester Institute of Technology - College

Strong Memorial Hospital - Rochester Wiki
University of Rochester Medical Center - Rochester Wiki
Highland Hospital - Rochester Wiki
Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong - Rochester Wiki
Monroe Community Hospital - Rochester Wiki

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-08-2014 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
More schools: Country Parkway Elementary School - Public School

Heim Elementary School - Public School

Maple East Elementary School - Public School

Dodge Elementary School - Public School

Transit Middle School - Public School

Williamsville East High School - Public School

Heritage Heights Elementary School - Public School

Birchwood Elementary School - Public School

Central Park International Magnet School - Public School

Craig Elementary School - Public School

Elmer Avenue School - Public School

Fulton Early Childhood Center - Public School

Hamilton Elementary School - Public School

Iroquois Middle School - Public School

Jessie T Zoller School - Public School

Lincoln School - Public School

Martin Luther King School - Public School

Mont Pleasant Middle School - Public School

Niskayuna High School - Public School

More Schenectady schools here: Search For Schools and Colleges

Erwin Valley Elementary School - Public School

Van Rensselaer Elementary School - Public School

Rensselaer Junior Senior High School - Public School

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-09-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,227 posts, read 18,024,659 times
Reputation: 14682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pennsylvania has the seventh-largest Vietnamese population in the United States, per 2013 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, which gives it the largest Vietnamese population outside the Southern and Western states (it's passed Massachusetts since 2010). Here's a list of all counties in Pennsylvania with at least 1,000 Vietnamese:


19,239 - Philadelphia County
3,717 - Montgomery County
2,670 - Delaware County
2,045 - Lancaster County
1,721 - Lehigh County
1,523 - Cumberland County
1,424 - Allegheny County
1,411 - York County
1,273 - Berks County
1,178 - Chester County
1,169 - Dauphin County
1,008 - Bucks County


In Georgia, Gwinnett County is the most Asian County (11.0%), and has a Korean population of 22,731.
I forgot to add that Pennsylvania has the largest Bhutanese population in the United States, and only Texas comes close. Pittsburgh has the largest Bhutanese population in Pennsylvania, and Erie the second-largest. Other cities where they've settled in fair numbers include Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lancaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,272,233 times
Reputation: 10289
I would argue that college towns tend to be magnents for Asians (especially Chinese and Koreans). Madison WI, Blacksburg VA, Boulder CO, Manhattan KS, and Durham NC all have much higher than average Asian populations than their state for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 AM
 
56,992 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Reputation: 12599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I forgot to add that Pennsylvania has the largest Bhutanese population in the United States, and only Texas comes close. Pittsburgh has the largest Bhutanese population in Pennsylvania, and Erie the second-largest. Other cities where they've settled in fair numbers include Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Lancaster.
Quite a few Bhutanese have come to Upstate NY as well: Bhutanese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite a few Burmese refugees have come to Upstate NY and the Northeast as well: Burmese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can find articles in relation to Asian refugees in here: refugees | Innovation Trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top