U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 04:08 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,882,936 times

Advertisements

California, overall, doesn't really have any antagonism towards any of our neighboring states...or any state period (with, perhaps, the exception being Texas: lots of Californians have a visceral dislike for that state and vice versa.)

NorCal does really dislike SoCal though. SoCal doesn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Tennessee vs North Carolina

Missouri vs Illinois

Virginia vs North Carolina
I always thought Missouri had more animosity toward Kansas, and was pretty neutral with Illinois.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
Most people in North Carolina live so far from the Tennessee border that I don't believe we think of TN that often. No ACC teams in Tennessee, also. I get that the two states are geographically equal, both Upper South. NC and TN were the last states to join the Confederacy, also. However, I've never heard of a rivalry between the two.

A rivalry with Virginia would make better sense. The North Carolina/Virginia football rivalry is actually known as "The Oldest Rivalry in the South." Plenty of similarities between both states, the tobacco heritage might be the best example. Historically, Virginia looks down on North Carolina. They were a wealthier state, all the aristocratic families with their tobacco plantations along the James. North Carolina was more backwoods, more yeoman farmers in remote areas. During the Civil War, apparently many Virginia generals looked down on North Carolina generals.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,263,930 times
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but in the DC area, Marylanders and Virginians tend to hate each other. Which is kinda funny to me because as an outsider both sides come off as about the same. Not to mention half the people in the area are from somewhere else.

Someone earlier mentioned an intense Maryland hatred of NJ. I experienced a lot of this as well. It's probably just a University of Maryland thing though, not the state as a whole.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:02 AM

267 posts, read 239,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I always thought Missouri had more animosity toward Kansas, and was pretty neutral with Illinois.
Stereotypes is most definitely the reason between Illinois & Missouri secret conflict. Illinois people think Missouri people are inbred hicks & conservative. Missouri people think Illinois people are liberal, corrupt, and high taxes. As far as sports, Chicago teams vs St Louis teams.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:08 AM

582 posts, read 776,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but in the DC area, Marylanders and Virginians tend to hate each other. Which is kinda funny to me because as an outsider both sides come off as about the same.
NoVA is wealthier than MD's DC area, and at least feels much more built up / crowded. I think that's the main source of what MD/VA DC area animosity there is. Outside of the DC area MD and VA don't hate each other at all: Marylanders for the most part like VA more than any other neighboring states, in my experience.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but in the DC area, Marylanders and Virginians tend to hate each other. Which is kinda funny to me because as an outsider both sides come off as about the same. Not to mention half the people in the area are from somewhere else.

Someone earlier mentioned an intense Maryland hatred of NJ. I experienced a lot of this as well. It's probably just a University of Maryland thing though, not the state as a whole.
This is highly inaccurate. We don't hate each other, back in high school and when I came down and visited from college we used to party together. The rich kids from mclean or potomac would get everyone in the DC area together and throw big parties. The only people NoVa tend to hate is the rest of Virginia.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:12 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,288,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Stereotypes is most definitely the reason between Illinois & Missouri secret conflict. Illinois people think Missouri people are inbred hicks & conservative. Missouri people think Illinois people are liberal, corrupt, and high taxes. As far as sports, Chicago teams vs St Louis teams.
LOL... From my perspective where I grew up in Illinois it wasn't about Missouri or Wisconsin, they were just distant places to us. It was all about Indiana or Kentucky. But we had more disdain for NORTHERN Illinois itself than any of our neighboring states.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
I've heard people in Northern Virginia don't care about the rest of Virginia. I have a pal from Arlington, and he always looks down on the rest of Virginia. Comments along the lines of, "Richmond is just a bland and horrible city" or "Nobody cares about Farmville, Petersburg, wherever! I wouldn't live in Virginia if I had to live outside of NOVA." I've heard those exact sentences come out of his mouth! However, this guy has relatives in the Research Triangle of North Carolina and told me he'd live in Raleigh because it reminds him of NOVA.

Funny enough, I'm also friends with a guy from NOVA who hates Maryland! He's from McLean, and I've heard him say, "I hate Maryland as much as the next guy."

Last one. A good friend of mine in college hails from Lynchburg. He once told me, "In Virginia, when we think of North Carolina, we think of Deliverance. That's what we think of you Tar Heels." I'm not even joking!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 AM

22,873 posts, read 19,300,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The first state being the prime antagonizer:

New Mexico vs. Arizona

New Mexico vs. Texas

Massachusetts vs. Connecticut

Massachusetts vs. New York

Vermont vs. New York

New York vs. New Jersey

Ohio vs. Kentucky

Oregon vs. California
You forgot Massachusetts vs Rhode Island.

RIers can't drive, don't know what a turnsignal is, drive way above speed limits, have crappy roads. I live 5 minutes from the state line and do my darndest to avoid going over that state line. I will drive longer to get to a particular shopping center to go around that bit of RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or