U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 AM

305 posts, read 321,760 times

Advertisements

Alabama hates Georgia Id say, but not vice versa, pretty much cause Birmingham people basically all go to Atlanta for big events/holiday and live in our shadow, and are usually envious when they go back home. But Georgia gets along with everyone else, for all I know.

As a ex-Ohian native, Id say Michigan, but they mainly hate us, we beat them in sports and economy, sucks to be a Michigan resident, theyre like most native virginians, wanna get the heck out of there(Detroit). (from my experience)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 AM

305 posts, read 321,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The unique thing about the Michigan vs Ohio rivalry is that Michigan is truly better than Ohio in every way possible.
Uhhhm no, the Michigan economy is terrible, and besides Michigan State your public higher education is too expensive, UM is gonna be 50K soon for out of state, 50K! I may as well go to a private university, thats ridiculous. Michigan is a almost-done dying state, so no wonder they need so much money. Detroit still in poulation decline, (its like the only large metro in the U.S. that still is). Also check your rosters on your football teams every year bro. SO many players from Ohio its not even funny, and we have a LIST of star players that played for Michigan from Ohio(check vid). Looks like you guys need to rely on Ohio alot for sports. Michigan suuuucks, when was their last National Championship run(and by that I mean being in debate for going to a championship game) Lol, a while. O State is in the playoffs this year, and usually is a contender, every year. Michigan state got their tails WHOPPED this year at home by the boys from the Buckeye state. (oh and Cook is from ohio btw, like a 1/3 of your guys roster every year oh yeah, and in Michigans glory days, anti-Woody Hayes and the guy we to war at(wont say his name) were from Ohio). And you guys always bring up how many championsips you have, back in the oldin day. When was Michigans last Championship?

Division titles: 0
Heisman Winners: 3 (2 were from Ohio(Woodson/Howard), the majority, lmao)
National championships: 11 (10 are before 1950, lmao) last one in 97

Ohio State
Division Titles: 3
Heisman Winners: 7(double)
National Championships: 7 (6 AFTER 1950) last in 2002

And you guys cant even play good basketball, Michigan losing to NJIT and EASTERN Michigan, LOL, a joke, the whole state. So continue to be mad and hate Ohio cause we dont care, you guys are like an annoying little brother, especially in sports. Not a single soul in Ohio was even hype about the O State Michigan game this year, thats sad, The Minnesota game was more exciting and talked about. One of the largest Universities in the country, and I hate to admit it, but GREAT school with hard working students and you guys cant even play good sports for them. Id be pissed if I spent 50K a year(Ive League Tuition) and cant even watch a good game? LOL Michigan.

Desmond Howard (Michigan vs. Ohio State: The Rivalry) - YouTube

Unless you meant University of Ohio, then okay.
Meanwhile, we'll be playing ALabama in the playoffs on New Years for a chance to go to the National Championship game, feel free to watch and wait for your own bowl g- Oh wait, Michigan isnt bowl eligible this year, LOL, hope youre a Michigan State fan.

Last edited by Black_Sheep3; 12-17-2014 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 05:57 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Not accurate. In reality, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the "rivals" in the Upper Midwest, although it's really just a sports rivalry.

In Minnesota, Iowa isn't even really thought about at all. It's just that nebulous stretch of land "somewhere down there"...
I was going to say the same thing, however as I have grown up I have realized that the rivalry isn't a dislike for one another, but more of a competition. Which one has more/better lakes, which one produces more dairy, which one has the better North Woods? I think that any resident who truly identifies with that state (MN or WI) will more than likely concede that the other is their 2nd favorite state.

In terms of Iowa.... the running joke is about how they are constantly 10 years behind the rest of the country.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,985,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
The unique thing about the Michigan vs Ohio rivalry is that Michigan is truly better than Ohio in every way possible.

Not when it comes to roads.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
In terms of Iowa.... the running joke is about how they are constantly 10 years behind the rest of the country.
Funny that someone from MN was trying to pretend there aren't any IA jokes above a ways on this thread...I've heard tons of 'em, and I live almost 4 hours from Minnesota.

Outstate IL is actually fairly different than outstate WI, but it's true that the rivalry (if it exists) is Chicago (and not IL) vs Wisconsin, due mostly to sports rivalries and Chicagoland tourists swarming our natural features.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,870,173 times
Grew up in Mississippi about 20 minutes from the AL/MS state line. Mother is from Alabama, Father from Mississippi. Had grand parents and family in both states back in the day. Had a sibling in Huntsville. Spent copius amounts of time in Alabama. Very rarely heard anything negative coming from residents about either state. Even in my High School, most of my friends rooted for Alabama schools.

Texas and New Mexico
Lived in Dallas and Austin 15 years, 2 years in El Paso.
El Paso: Spent a lot of time in Las Cruces, NM. Never heard anything from Texans or people in New Mexico about each other. But considering Las Cruces is mostly a college town, and El Paso is full of Military and non-Texans. This is not a good point of reference. So further north near the Texas panhandle, probably a different story, but never had any extended time in the Texas panhandle, just usually passing through. So can't comment it. But if people are saying Texans and NM's don't care for each other, it would be in that region.

Texas and Oklahoma
While living in Dallas and Austin: Lots of disdain between Texans and Okies. And it goes beyond football. Heard it in the workplace a lot with them cutting each other down.

Texas and Lousiana
This was more one sided. I rarely heard Texans complain about the Louisiana neighbors other than be careful driving through because they knew they didn't like Texans and the cops would harass you on occasion. That I can attest to. I got pulled over a few times even though I was not speeding, obeying all laws, etc during my drives back to Mississippi to visit relatives and I was quick to let them know I was not a Texan despite my license place and DL.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 PM

267 posts, read 239,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Us Marylanders tend to look down on WV, but since I respect the rural roots of this country I actually quite like the area. Maryland's 4 westernmost (Garret, Allegheny, Washington & Frederick) counties are essentially cultural extensions of WV's eastern panhandle with similar geography occupying some of the same mountain ridges which extend across four states into PA and VA as well as WV and MD.

Heck, I think even Kentuckians and Ohio's southwest rural areas look down on WV, as does the Pittsburgh region. Mountain Mama gets a bad rap that she often does not deserve.
I hope you mean central Maryland tend to look down on other regions in your state (eastern shore & western MD). Usually Frederick County are not part of Western Maryland.

West Virginians don't be thinking about Maryland except when they give the Maryland college football team a spanking each year.

Pittsburgh region look down on WV? But their regional media coverage airs in northern parts of WV. So it's no big deal. I don't think Kentuckians & Ohio people don't be thinking about WV either

Old 12-17-2014, 03:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,140,398 times
For years, people in Wyoming didn't much care for Coloradans. They perceived us as "invading" their state for hunting and fishing, especially when the CO mountains and lakes get overcrowded in the summer months. They used to refer to us as "Greenies", a disparagement pertaining to the color to our license plates.

From Urban Dictionary:

Greenie: A "derogatory" word that Wyoming natives use to describe Colorado tourists. Rooted in the fact that Colorado license plates are green in color.
"It would be a nice vacation up to Jackson if it weren't for all those dad-gum greenies"

Old 12-17-2014, 04:08 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Texas and Oklahoma
While living in Dallas and Austin: Lots of disdain between Texans and Okies. And it goes beyond football. Heard it in the workplace a lot with them cutting each other down.
This is really the only one that goes both ways. Even then, it's really more just North Texas vs Oklahoma. I'm originally from Houston, and the vast majority of Houstonians really didn't give a crap about OK one way or the other, unless it was football related. However, when I lived in Dallas it was a different story. No shortage of anti-Okie sentiment in the metroplex. I also lived in Austin, but I really didn't hear much negative commentary about Oklahoma there unless, again, it was game time.

The only other states I remember there being any truly ill feelings about in Texas weren't neighboring states. The most disliked states I remember were California and Florida. Ironically, California transplants are very prominent in the bigger Texas metros. I never really understood the anti-California stuff. I think that mainly stems from the fact that they're the two biggest states in the nation.

When I lived in Phoenix, I really noticed a lot of Arizonans hated Texas. I was never clear on why exactly that is. On the flip-side, most Texans don't really give a toss about Arizona.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:31 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Pittsburgh region look down on WV? But their regional media coverage airs in northern parts of WV. So it's no big deal. I don't think Kentuckians & Ohio people don't be thinking about WV either
Pittsburghers tend to regard West Virginians the same way Clevelanders tend to regard Pittsburghers: culturally, intellectually, economically, and even genetically inferior. Not that any of the above is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or