Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

New Jersey is New York's armpit and dumping ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
We certainly miss Nebraska in the Big XII but I never got the impression that when they were that they were that big a rivals with Iowa State in terms of the Nebraska perspective. Now that they no longer play Oklahoma it seems like the Iowa game has become a bigtime rivalry game in the Big 10. I never miss the Cyhawk game and I try to watch Nebraska and Iowa. I did this year and I've often thought about how similar Iowa and Nebraska are and how probably 75-80% of Nebraska's population is within about an hour of the Iowa border.
Nebraska never viewed Iowa State as a rival. I'm not sure they view Iowa as a rival, and if they do, it's a sign of how that program fell.

But both ISU and Iowa view the Cornhuskers with contempt.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Most states dislike California for numerous reasons, but Californians tend to like most states you'd be hard pressed to here anyoine with any serious disdain for other states. People here enjoy other states especially the western states even though they see us as invading them. lol When you're the biggest and brightest of course people will hate...

Old 12-07-2018, 09:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Friendly and non-combative rivalry with Wisconsin.

Their beer, cheese, and football (0-4 is an embarrassment) is better, but our lakes, hockey, and state government is better. Taxes are slight harsher in Minnesota, but they are lopsided towards Income and Sales Tax. Wisconsin supposedly has egregious property taxes. Wife works in Superior and the social services in Wisconsin apparently really suck compared to Minnesota. Duluthians and Superiorites co-mingle as a way of life. We are only separated by the St. Louis River.

North Dakota is the butt of many jokes. Half of my office graduated from NDSU or UND.

I don't hear much about Iowa or South Dakota, but I am in the northern part of MN so I may be sheltered simply by distance.
Back when NPR still had their own comment board, someone posted all these reasons MN was better than WI in all seriousness! The poster asked me what I thought of the comparison of the two states. I said "parochial" and s/he didn't post again. People actually believe this stuff! Maybe not you, but lots of people.

A couple years ago, we went to a presentation of the Minnesota Historical Society. We watched this film that was supposed to be humorous, and there were a couple jabs at Iowa. I thought it was very unprofessional for a historical society. I've been to the Colorado History Museum and the Heinz History Museum in Pittsburgh and I've never seen anything like that at either one.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Friendly and non-combative rivalry with Wisconsin.

Their beer, cheese, and football (0-4 is an embarrassment) is better, but our lakes, hockey, and state government is better. Taxes are slight harsher in Minnesota, but they are lopsided towards Income and Sales Tax. Wisconsin supposedly has egregious property taxes. Wife works in Superior and the social services in Wisconsin apparently really suck compared to Minnesota. Duluthians and Superiorites co-mingle as a way of life. We are only separated by the St. Louis River.

North Dakota is the butt of many jokes. Half of my office graduated from NDSU or UND.

I don't hear much about Iowa or South Dakota, but I am in the northern part of MN so I may be sheltered simply by distance.
I disagree...Minnesota lakes are not better. AND, Wisconsin can enjoy two Great Lakes, not just a little bit of one.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:00 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Isn't the theme part technically in both states?
Yep, Paramount Carowinds. The State line runs through the park.

It's a nice Theme Park, and an asset to the region.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Back when NPR still had their own comment board, someone posted all these reasons MN was better than WI in all seriousness! The poster asked me what I thought of the comparison of the two states. I said "parochial" and s/he didn't post again. People actually believe this stuff! Maybe not you, but lots of people.

A couple years ago, we went to a presentation of the Minnesota Historical Society. We watched this film that was supposed to be humorous, and there were a couple jabs at Iowa. I thought it was very unprofessional for a historical society. I've been to the Colorado History Museum and the Heinz History Museum in Pittsburgh and I've never seen anything like that at either one.
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I actually think it's so ingrained in the local psyche that they don't even know they're doing it.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,491,135 times
NJ and NY are definitely rivals based on stereotypes. New Yorkers think they are better than New Jerseyans.

NJ and PA are rival and friends at the same time. PA is a state that New Jerseyans love to visit if they don't want to go far for a vacation. I remember seeing tons of NJ license plates when the PA traffic was a bit clogged coming out of the Poconos this summer.

PA is a rival at the same time, because people from PA drive well in NJ, but then we New Jerseyans get impatient and pass the Pennsylvanian who was driving the way people SHOULD drive.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
Wisconsin people dislike people from Illinois. It's actually Chicagoans who are disliked in Wisconsin. Much of this is due to the fact that large numbers of people in the Chicago area have second/summer homes in Wisconsin. The locals in Wisconsin are resentful of the attitude directed towards them by Chicagoans.

It is said in Chicago, that during the summer, the biggest suburb of Chicago is Wisconsin.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
Wisconsin people dislike people from Illinois. It's actually Chicagoans who are disliked in Wisconsin. Much of this is due to the fact that large numbers of people in the Chicago area have second/summer homes in Wisconsin. The locals in Wisconsin are resentful of the attitude directed towards them by Chicagoans.

It is said in Chicago, that during the summer, the biggest suburb of Chicago is Wisconsin.
My uncle in Wisconsin owned some property "up north" in northern Wisconsin. His plan was to build a cabin on it and rent it at an exorbitant rate to "rich Chicago people". This is just another variation on the MN/WI rivalry. It's silly.

Someone from Wisconsin once asked here on CD why Illinoisans resented being called "FIB"s by the Wisconsin people since Illinoisans referred to them as "Cheeseheads". I suggested it might be because FIB is a profanity. (Use your imagination if you don't know what it means.) The "I" stands for Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.