U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM

2,504 posts, read 2,262,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Many people in eastern Baltimore County do have family roots in West Virginia as they migrated to Baltimore to work in the steel mills and factories in the middle of the 20th century. Most of that industry is destroyed now in Maryland.

Most people in the DC suburbs look down on Western MD and see it as an extension of WV (the same people also look down on the Eastern Shore). I lived in Kanawha County and most people there viewed Maryland very negatively. While Western MD is similar to parts of WV, most of Maryland's population is urban and the state as a whole is more different from WV than any of its neighbors.
I don't think anyone in the DC area even thinks about Western MD let alone look down on it. It's just a forgotten region all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM

124 posts, read 61,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
As someone who has lived within 20 miles of the Ohio/Michigan border my entire life, I wouldn't call what Ohio and Michigan have dislike for each other so much as "envious of some things but you can keep those other things" that goes both ways. For example:

Ohio does not envy Michigan's terrible roads or their exorbitant auto insurance rates but they do envy the miles of coastline and picturesque areas areas like Mackinac Island and Traverse City, although they have some cuties of their own along Lake Erie, namely Put-in-Bay and Marblehead/Lakeside.

Michigan doesn't envy Ohio's relative lack of scenery but they do envy its healthier, more functional cities. Not that Detroit hasn't made great strides, but Ohio has the Three Cs. Just ask them, they will tell you, lol.

Ohio doesn't envy Michigan's football team or record for the past several years because, after all, they have Ohio State, but I have to believe that to some extent they do envy the Big House, Michigan's iconic football history from years ago, and the University of Michigan's academic reputation, just as I believe that people in Michigan secretly envy Ohio State's uncanny ability to find the best football coaches and field the best teams year after year.

I know that your "Ohio stole Jeep" comment was tongue in cheek because I know from all of your other posts that you are an extremely intelligent, well educated, and historically aware person, but the reality, for others here who may not know, is that the Jeep brand is the creation of the former Willys-Overland automobile company of Toledo, Ohio and is a complete and total Ohio brand and creation. People in Toledo LOVE their Jeep, they are very, very, VERY proud of their Jeep...just ask them.

We have lived in Michigan for the past 21+ years and it is great, but there are times when I would just love to move back to Ohio, especially considering that I could do so and not even change doctors or otherwise, as we live so close to the border. But then, when I see all those Ohio license plates up and down US-23 and see that they arrogantly think that because they are in Michigan they can drive 85+ MPH it makes me think again. I do think that Ohio as a whole has a bit of a superiority complex towards Michigan, even with all of the great things that Michigan has to offer. Not hate, though, too many families living split between the two states for there to be true hate, not to mention that Midwesterners as a whole tend to be pretty laid back and easy to get along with.
I took the post you quoted as pretty tongue and cheek, but I could be wrong.

There seem to be a lot of Michiganders in Cleveland and Columbus (I've noticed more Michigan plates more often in residential neighborhoods in those cities). I would be curious to see the migration between the cities.

I think your Ohio superiority thing goes both ways, though. You could probably even find it on this board, let alone the post you quoted. Just a for instance... Michigan posters talking about Ohio's scenery always makes me laugh. First, most only travel I-75 on their way to the west coast of Florida. But even in doing so, they are traveling through arguably the Midwest's most scenic major city in Cincinnati:

https://flic.kr/p/2aWEvS9

https://flic.kr/p/Yg4sGp

https://flic.kr/p/26obLeu

To top that off, you have all of SE Ohio which is the Appalachian foothills and home to some beautiful state parks and national forests. You could spend a whole week visiting the waterfalls, trails and caves of the Hocking Hills. You have the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that sits between Cleveland and Akron and is in the top 15 most visited national parks. The Lake Erie Islands are also a very popular spot, especially Cedar Point (among Michigan residents) . I have really enjoyed my time visiting the different areas of Michigan, I just find it interesting when Michigan residents seem to talk down on Ohio in this regard, and I think it stems from some sort of rivalry I guess.

A good post nonetheless. Pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or