U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 05:34 AM

267 posts, read 239,144 times

Advertisements

Alabama & Mississippi - Seems like them two states always competing as far as college sports, health wise, education wise, and economic wise.

Virginia & West Virginia - I think people from VA looked down on West Virginians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 06:50 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,861,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Alabama & Mississippi - Seems like them two states always competing as far as college sports, health wise, education wise, and economic wise.

Virginia & West Virginia - I think people from VA looked down on West Virginians.
This is so true! It is actually sad that all Virginians can do is bad mouth us, when we literally have no grudge against them. From my experience, Virginians think they are some kind of "elite social class" and too good for people beneath their standard of living.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM

545 posts, read 816,400 times
NJ and maryland practically touch each other. i went down to maryland for college and boy did they hate on Jersey. maybe it's because all i ever talked about was Jersey though...

Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Missouri and Kansas.
I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned before. It's mostly rooted in basketball now, but even recently a lot of Kansan's and Missourians still despised each other because of their roles in the border wars. My grandfather hated Missouri with a passion, and it was not sports related at all. That said, I don't think there is any real hate that goes on between rival states on a large rational scale. The KC metro gets interesting with the 2 cities fighting for business.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:56 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,269,544 times
You would think the rivalry between North and South Carolina would be extremely heated, but I don't think it's that bad due to sports. USC plays in the SEC, UNC plays in the ACC. In this case, they don't play each other too often. If they did, I feel like the rivalry would be more extreme. However, you do have Clemson in the ACC.

Some NC'ers do look down on SC for being less progressive. Historically, SC looks for trouble, while NC try's to avoid it at all costs. SC was a fiery Deep South state, first state to secede and home to John C. Calhoun. I've heard some cases of SC politicians getting in fistfights in the Senate! NC held off seceding until the end, and was pretty divided on the whole issue. We sent more troops and supplies to the Confederacy than any other southern state, and lost the most men. However, in some pockets of the state, you had folks that wanted to stay completely out of the war. Many of these were Unionist, like the Quakers around Guilford County and many mountain folks who didn't own any slaves. NC did have politicians along the lines of Jesse Helms later on, but for the most part, remained slightly more progressve than SC. You have a clear division between Deep and Upper South between the two states.

Actually, there may be a slight rivalry between North Carolina and Virginia. Both states are hardcore ACC country. The UNC/UVA football rivalry is known as the "Oldest Rivalry in the South." Not to mention basketball, any of y'all catch the Virginia/Duke game last year during the ACC tournament? Intense! During the Civil War, apparently many Virginia generals looked down on North Carolina generals. For the most part, Virginia was wealthier, full of those tidewater aristocratic families with their tobacco plantations along the James and whatnot. Robert E. Lee and those types. North Carolina was the backwoods, tar heel, yeoman farmer state. Who knows, but I'm sure the rivalry between Virginia and Maryland would be more intense.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 AM

13,221 posts, read 17,960,186 times
It seems to me like Georgia looks down on Alabama, and gets looked down on by Florida. Its relationship with South Carolina seems to be amiable, and likewise with North Carolina, though sometimes people from Atlanta look at Charlotte as a "wannabe" city.

It also seems to me like Pennsylvania looks down on West Virginia, and gets looked down on by New York, New Jersey and Ohio. Its relationship with Maryland and Delaware is neutral.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM

3,224 posts, read 4,715,492 times
When I was in Des Moines I notice a lot of Iowa vs. Minnesota stuff (jokes, college teams, etc...).

Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,834,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
NJ and maryland practically touch each other. i went down to maryland for college and boy did they hate on Jersey. maybe it's because all i ever talked about was Jersey though...
To be fair, just about every state hates New Jersey.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
The enmity between NC and SC is so pervasive and has been going on longer than we've been alive. Just one of the many issues that can stir passionate debate in the Carolinas is simply one question: where was Andrew Jackson born?

Two Carolinas both claim presidential birthplace - US news - Life | NBC News
Nobody really cares about that, nor do most even know about the dispute.

Quote:
Barbecue is another very heated topic between the Carolinas (SC uses a mustard base; NC will either use a ketchup base or vinegar base depending on where you are in the state). This debate runs as an undercurrent to this interview:

Watch Stephen Colbert Bash North Carolina Barbecue - Eater
Now yes, THIS can be a heated dispute. However, it should be known that while mustard-based BBQ is exclusive to SC (mainly the central part of the state), vinegar- and tomato-based BBQ also have a long history in SC. This is something that most people don't know. South Carolina Barbeque Association - BBQ History

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
You would think the rivalry between North and South Carolina would be extremely heated, but I don't think it's that bad due to sports. USC plays in the SEC, UNC plays in the ACC. In this case, they don't play each other too often. If they did, I feel like the rivalry would be more extreme. However, you do have Clemson in the ACC.
I agree with this. If NC was more of a college football state like the vast majority of the South, it would be different.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,417,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
There really isn't much of any kind of rivalry between WA and OR.

Texas and Oklahoma though, but it's mostly football related.
It might only exist between sports fans (of which there are many), but the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers absolutely despise each other, its one of the nation's biggest sports rivalries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or