U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 04:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times

Advertisements

Bobloblawslawblog,

What's the relationship like between Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho? I've spent a couple weeks in Spokane, Pullman, Moscow, and Coeur d'Alene. A lot of the people I met in Coeur d'Alene seemed to hate Washington with a passion. My sense was that it's the classic red state/blue state rivalry. I felt the people in Spokane thought that the Idahoans were even trashier than themselves. In Pullman (WA) most of the people I talked to wished they lived in nearly by Moscow (ID) because there're better restaurants, better bars, and an organic food co-op. The people I met in Moscow prefer Pullman because they think it's prettier.

Is this a pretty correct assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:07 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Bobloblawslawblog,

What's the relationship like between Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho? I've spent a couple weeks in Spokane, Pullman, Moscow, and Coeur d'Alene. A lot of the people I met in Coeur d'Alene seemed to hate Washington with a passion. My sense was that it's the classic red state/blue state rivalry. I felt the people in Spokane thought that the Idahoans were even trashier than themselves. In Pullman (WA) most of the people I talked to wished they lived in nearly by Moscow (ID) because there're better restaurants, better bars, and an organic food co-op. The people I met in Moscow prefer Pullman because they think it's prettier.

Is this a pretty correct assessment?
It's um... complicated.

Most of the people around here that I come into contact with just look at Idaho as a conveniently nearby area to do their shopping and buy certain items much cheaper than they are in WA, but not good for much else. Skiing/snowboarding maybe, but we have that here too.

Obviously Eastern WA is a much more conservative area than the Puget Sound or I-5 corridor in the Western half of the state, but it's not even close to being as far-right conservative as Northern ID is. Believe it or not, even many of the conservatives here view Idaho as being far too conservative. There are a couple of places in Idaho that "get a pass" though, like Couer D'Alene and Sandpoint, but overall there is quite a bit of animosity between here and there. It also doesn't help that many Idahoans drive like complete ***holes. They really stand out on the roads over here.

Having moved to Eastern WA from Seattle, my take on it is this: Seattle looks at Spokane and Eastern WA as a bunch of conservative hillbillies, but Spokane looks at Northern Idaho the same way Seattle looks at this area. It's just varying degrees of conservatism and "backwardness". The further East you go, the further to the right you go. Eastern WA is a significantly more moderately conservative area, versus Northern Idaho's extreme conservatism.

As for the Moscow/Pullman thing, I suppose the same could be said of the relationship between Spokane and Couer D'Alene, only reversed. CDA has the nicer, cleaner, more modern downtown with the much more scenic and pretty waterfront, while Spokane has higher wages and a lower COL, with better downtown nightlife and a more gritty, urban vibe than CDA.

All in all, yes. A pretty good assessment.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:25 AM

404 posts, read 738,365 times
Mass vs. NY is definitely a big rivalry

Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 PM

582 posts, read 776,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'd imagine a heated rivalry between Maryland and Virginia.
MD and VA could be called rivals, but it's more of a respectful rivalry. In my experience of having lived in both states, neither really dislikes the other.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 12-07-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
MD and VA could be called rivals, but it's more of a respectful rivalry. In my experience of having lived in both states, neither really dislikes the other.
In many ways, I feel like it could be the same between North and South Carolina. You never hear someone in NC say, "Man, I HATE South Carolina" or something along those lines. Most people don't really care. For sports, South Carolina is in the SEC, so they don't play North Carolina teams often since NC is all ACC. In this case, I don't believe we think of SC too often in NC with the exception of Clemson being in the ACC. I did have one high school history teacher who hated South Carolina, always looked down on John C. Calhoun and Strom Thurmond. On the first day of class, she asked, "Anyone here from South Carolina? Because I'm going to pick on that state throughout the semester." Being from the Raleigh/Durham area, we were much closer to Virginia. When people visited South Carolina, it was usually to the beaches. Maybe it's a different story down in Charlotte.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Mass vs. NY is definitely a big rivalry
Maybe there's a strong rivalry between NYC and Boston, but having lived in Upstate New York, I felt that the people there were unaware of Massachusetts' very existence.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:38 PM

6,865 posts, read 6,194,424 times
Quote:
Bobloblawslawblog,

The people I met in Moscow prefer Pullman because they think it's prettier.
That's strange. I'm not sure what they mean by "prettier" but Moscow has a nicer college campus, a nicer downtown, nicer residential areas IMO, and actual mountains just northeast of town.

Pullman just has wheat fields around it. Pioneer Hill, College Hill and Military Hill are not impressive. The southwest hill (Sunnyside?) is nice. Maybe that is what they are talking about.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 11 days ago)

2,041 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Quote:
Maybe there's a strong rivalry between NYC and Boston, but having lived in Upstate New York, I felt that the people there were unaware of Massachusetts' very existence.
I agree with this. NYC and Boston have a rivalry, but people in Western Mass and Upstate NY don't really care.

Except if we're talking football (Giants v Pats), then there might be some tension.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's strange. I'm not sure what they mean by "prettier" but Moscow has a nicer college campus, a nicer downtown, nicer residential areas IMO, and actual mountains just northeast of town.

Pullman just has wheat fields around it. Pioneer Hill, College Hill and Military Hill are not impressive. The southwest hill (Sunnyside?) is nice. Maybe that is what they are talking about.
Pullman is hillier and has a creek running through it.

I like WSU's campus better, but both are nice.

Both cities are basically surrounded by wheat fields.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
In many ways, I feel like it could be the same between North and South Carolina. You never hear someone in NC say, "Man, I HATE South Carolina" or something along those lines. Most people don't really care. For sports, South Carolina is in the SEC, so they don't play North Carolina teams often since NC is all ACC. In this case, I don't believe we think of SC too often in NC with the exception of Clemson being in the ACC. I did have one high school history teacher who hated South Carolina, always looked down on John C. Calhoun and Strom Thurmond. On the first day of class, she asked, "Anyone here from South Carolina? Because I'm going to pick on that state throughout the semester." Being from the Raleigh/Durham area, we were much closer to Virginia. When people visited South Carolina, it was usually to the beaches. Maybe it's a different story down in Charlotte.
The funny thing is that the few NC'ers I knew dissing SC a couple years ago were from towns like Shelby and Kannapolis. I was like "You CAN'T be serious."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or