U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,266,381 times
Reputation: 1645

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The funny thing is that the few NC'ers I knew dissing SC a couple years ago were from towns like Shelby and Kannapolis. I was like "You CAN'T be serious."
Yeah, don't pick on South Carolina if you're that close to the state line. Kinda like people around Reidsville or Oxford, you shouldn't pick on Virginia if you're that close. Shelby or Gastonia might as well be the SC Upstate hahaha, you have the history of textile mills in both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2014, 06:35 PM
 
447 posts, read 579,474 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Maybe that's true of a very small contingent of Texans living way up in the panhandle, but most people in the Eastern and Southern part of Texas (ie. where the vast majority of the state's population resides) could really care less about some ancient auctioning off of land to the intermountain Western states.
I was being incredibly tongue-in-cheek. Thought the emoticons made that clear but I guess not. Of course no one actually cares about that, it was over a hundred and fifty years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I was being incredibly tongue-in-cheek. Thought the emoticons made that clear but I guess not. Of course no one actually cares about that, it was over a hundred and fifty years ago.
People use emoticons gratuitously for all kinds of reasons in these forums. They rarely make anything clear. If you were being facetious then ok. My bad. You never know in these forums. People sometimes get touchy over the weirdest things, and some people concoct all kinds of bizarre "realities" here. It's not always easy to tell when someone is joking.

All I know is that no one in the part of Texas I'm from harbors any kind of negative feelings/opinions of NM. However, the panhandle and the Trans-Pecos are the parts of Texas closest to NM, so maybe it's a different deal way over there? I really have no idea. Texas is so big and vast that certain parts of it are a mystery to me.

And as far as people not caring about things that happened 150 years ago, I dunno. Look at how many people in these forums still pi$$ and moan about the civil war. I never put anything past people on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
 
447 posts, read 579,474 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
And as far as people not caring about things that happened 150 years ago, I dunno. Look at how many people in these forums still pi$$ and moan about the civil war. I never put anything past people on C-D.
Fair point.

Quote:
All I know is that no one in the part of Texas I'm from harbors any kind of negative feelings/opinions of NM. However, the panhandle and the Trans-Pecos are the parts of Texas closest to NM, so maybe it's a different deal way over there? I really have no idea. Texas is so big and vast that certain parts of it are a mystery to me.
Ditto. I've never lived out west, only along and east of I-35. Never heard much trash talk except for Oklahoma. The state really is so different depending on where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Yeah, don't pick on South Carolina if you're that close to the state line. Kinda like people around Reidsville or Oxford, you shouldn't pick on Virginia if you're that close. Shelby or Gastonia might as well be the SC Upstate hahaha, you have the history of textile mills in both areas.
It wasn't about them being close to the state line; it was about them being from small towns not unlike many in SC. You can't be from Roanoke Rapids trying to pick a fight with SC either. I could understand if they were from Charlotte or Raleigh, but come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 07:37 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,266,381 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It wasn't about them being close to the state line; it was about them being from small towns not unlike many in SC. You can't be from Roanoke Rapids trying to pick a fight with SC either. I could understand if they were from Charlotte or Raleigh, but come on.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. Don't look down on South Carolina if you're coming out of Goldsboro or Lumberton. You could say the same regarding Virginians looking down on North Carolina. If you're from Danville or Farmville, you shouldn't look down on North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
177 posts, read 375,444 times
Reputation: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Missouri and Kansas.
This is absolutely true, especially for people who live within a reasonable distance of the shared border. My grandmother from Leavenworth was raised to despise Missourians and even used some old-school nickname, "Missouri Pukes", to describe them. One of her cousins married a guy from across the river in Platte City, MO, and she was basically disowned by her family. Even when reading through the Kansas City forum, one can still sense some animosity that exists today.

Alabama and Mississippi would be another one I've personally witnessed. In my former job, I had to spend a lot of time in Birmingham on business trips, and my coworkers were always making Mississippi jokes and insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 PM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,266,381 times
Reputation: 1645
I knew someone from Alabama who told me the unofficial state motto of Alabama should be, "At least we're not Mississippi!" But in reality, they're in the same boat and West Virginia could also be included. Everyone looks down on those three states, let's be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I knew someone from Alabama who told me the unofficial state motto of Alabama should be, "At least we're not Mississippi!" But in reality, they're in the same boat and West Virginia could also be included. Everyone looks down on those three states, let's be honest.
Alabama doesn't have it quite as bad as Mississippi. Mississippi doesn't have a city as large as Birmingham, or a rapidly growing tech-oriented city like Huntsville, or a port city like Mobile. All Mississippi has is Jackson in the respect. Alabama is definitely more like SC in most respects than Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,395,878 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Hah, do you cheese heads really think that?
Considering I grew up in a place where I could see the UP across the bay at night, and we went to the UP regularly, and I lived in Green Bay for a decade where many Yoopers end up (it's less than an hour away), and my financee grew up right next to the border and I go there at least once or twice a month, and the dozens of trips over the years, and I guarantee that I go there far more than someone from the lower mitt...yeah I think and know that. Western UP is more a part of Wisconsin, culturally, than MI. Which is why all but the furthest eastern reaches of the UP are Packer fans: http://i.imgur.com/WEhP3Il.png

That statement is only a "problem" with non-Yoopers from the LP and a couple eastern counties in the UP. It just makes sense. Look at a map. It's a contiguous region in the Canadian Shield. Go to Marquette, or Escanaba, or Menominee, or Iron Mountain or basically anywhere outside SS Marie and The Bridge. %-wise, Yoopers will 1) say they are their own thing, 2) say they identify with Wisconsin, then 3) say they identify with Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top