U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times

Advertisements

Even though Kentucky's longest border is with Tennessee the main state rivalries are with Indiana and Ohio. Because Indiana is smaller and more rural they seem to dwell on it more than Ohio which has more cities throughout the state.

The odd thing is you don't sense the rivalry much in Louisville because the parts of Indiana w/i 30 miles of downtown Louisville are mostly Kentuckians who relocated for cheaper houses. Most of those relocated Kentuckians aren't from around Louisville but are from the Appalachian area of Eastern Kentucky. Those people are referred to Hoosier Billies. You don't run into real Indiana people until you get out of the Louisville tv market.

But by the time you get in Indy it's all hate towards KY for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM

18,438 posts, read 9,548,793 times
Good topic but not sure if there is a winner. I guess I would go with Cali & Zona...clai is known for being very liberal and Zona quite conservative. Californians will take a uperior attitude and I think Zonans are now doing the same about Californians.

Basically as far as my state, we almost don´t know Idaho is there and although we may tease Oregonians, it's a mostly friendly rivalry imo.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Some of the animosity started with the civil war and folks can't remember what set it off in the first place -- now part of the culture. Missouri and Kansas started the civil war a few years before Fort Sumter or Lincoln and they still are not friendly. New Mexico (not on anyone's radar, usually) was coveted by Texas and Texans invaded (aka the Confederate army) and briefly occupied Albuquerque in an ill-fated attempt at a land grab.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 9,442,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Minnesota and Wisconsin; it's an intense, yet friendly rivalry that goes beyond sports.

Illinois and Wisconsin; Wisconsin hates Illinois, while Illinois is indifferent to Wisconsin. New York and Pennsylvania have a similar dynamic.

New York and New Jersey; mutual hate.
Agree on Wisconsin and Minnesota, two of my favorite states. Mostly a friendly rivalry, and pretty similar--if you like one of them, you'll like the other..

Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Basically as far as my state, we almost don´t know Idaho is there and although we may tease Oregonians, it's a mostly friendly rivalry imo.
I used to feel the same way (about Idaho) when I lived in Seattle, but since I moved to Eastern WA I see it differently. Over here we don't really like Idahoans too much. It's all relative to what part of WA you live in.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:32 PM

448 posts, read 421,262 times
I've seen a lot CA v. AZ when I lived in San Diego (which should be more appropriately SD v. AZ). It seemed like a lot of SD residents complained about "Zonies" as they like to call them. According to them, Zonies flock to SD during the hot summer months and act like drunken idiots. At the same time, I've seen this as typical behavior in the SD beach areas.

In LA, people don't really think of AZ and I doubt SF does as well. Politically, though the two states seem to be opposite in politics, I don't think Californians give it a lot of thought.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:52 PM

56 posts, read 60,874 times
Maryland vs Virginia lol I just hate Virginia's traffic!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM

2,151 posts, read 2,659,929 times
Michigan hates and looks down on (literally and figuratively) Ohio.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:43 PM

267 posts, read 238,843 times
Tennessee vs North Carolina

Missouri vs Illinois

Virginia vs North Carolina

Old 12-12-2014, 03:32 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,013,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
In all fairness, you've used the correct word: perceived. That's because there are a lot of clueless people out there who attempt to generalize an entire population based on what they believe to know. In addition and despite the fact that Arizona is populated by a large community of ex-Californians, there were several residents of AZ who were quite fed up with California sticking its nose into Arizona politics and threatening boycotts, especially when it came to their misinterpretations of SB1070. Despite that, yes, Arizonans enjoy California and Californians. Your idea that Arizona hates California is ridiculous; however, many Arizonans can agree that the cost of living there is a little outrageous.
T. Damon is right in his assertion. It's more jealousy than anything. Many people live on Arizona because they can't afford to live in the SD or LA areas. Many subdivisions here are pretty much desert clones of what you would find in suburban areas of Southern California. I believe a large part of that is developers appeasing people who want to pretend to live the California lifestyle they can't afford.

There is a large community of ex Californians here who have been priced out of California. I highly doubt many California transplants come here for many other reasons.

I believe Arizona's dislike of California stems from political, economic and cultural differences. With exceptions, Southern California tends to be quite a bit more liberal than Arizona (mainly metro Phoenix). This translates into the threats of boycotts we saw with 1070 and 1062. Both we largely viewed as what they were, asinine and hateful laws. Arizona still has the reputation as being some redneck backwater because of these laws.

Economically, California is much more attractive than Arizona. California is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, is filled with high paying white collar jobs, and has an economy larger than quite a few countries. Arizona's economy is much smaller and not as well established. For years Arizona has believed that lower taxes would draw businesses from California to Arizona, but that clearly hasn't materialized, much to the dismay of Arizona's political leaders.

Lastly, California and Arizona couldn't be more different culturally. California is extremely culturally diverse, while Arizona is not really diverse at all. This creates a very different feel between the two places.

Even though many Arizonans pretend like California is hell, they are quick to point out the proximity to California as one of the perks of living here and many Arizonans flood San Diego during the summer. Funny
that you don't see the same patterns with Californians coming to Arizona.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or