U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Simmer down there. It was an innocent question, I didn't get any negative vibes that deserve the hostility I sense in your response. No need to bash the US. Your insecurity is showing.
Agreed. Good for you to call him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
[quote=Yenisey;37523731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Simmer down there. It was an innocent question, I didn't get any negative vibes that deserve the hostility I sense in your response.

And this was an innocent anwser, I am sorry if you are offended. I did not have any hostility towards the United States. I was only showing some view of the United States that most European share and this view is biased and far from reality. And for the last words of my message. Their were just rhetorical figure to some emphasis, without them my words were somewhat too raw.

You mean you have understood me as against the United States? If so, you misuderstood me at all. I was harsh for Europeans, not Americans in my statements. I was also reporting what people around me say about it and I do not share their view at all. Because I think of emigration to the United States one day, as it is far more better state than any in Europe. And Europe in its blindness is going to hurt herself.

Pardon me, what did you mean? I am asking seriously. I do not understand to what you are reffering to when writing insecurity.

I beg for apologize, if my post was improper. When I live, it seems we are more reserved, so we have different view what is hostility in opinion.

Yes, quite, well pointed out. They have become exactly what they criticize.

Only partialy and locally. I mean most of these immigrants are not illegal but they are not assimilating and remain unemployed, they live from benefits. As for the racial strife, I do not live in parts of Europe when the immigration is occuring, but I know that in the United Kingdom Britons have a huge problem with religious and racial hatred. It is not a serious issue now, but in a decade or two, it will be disastrous in outcome for Germany, France and Italy.
Such rage.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 AM

107 posts, read 118,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Such rage.
Well, I maybe stop to post now, cause I see I appear as someone who I do not wish to appear.

But can you show me where is a rage in my post? I really try to be as mild as I can.

So for some time, I remain silent in this thread, to not to discourage you or make you unhappy of my posts.

Last edited by Yenisey; 12-05-2014 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Wrong word

Old 12-05-2014, 04:48 AM

14,956 posts, read 31,348,948 times
European birth rates are low, they're having a hard enough time keeping their own countries afloat.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Russians and other former eastern bloc people have been moving in since the early 1990s. There are also quite a few British "refugees" moving to the states in recent years. I think there will always be exchange of citizens between the UK and USA as long as they both speak English.
This, especially the Russians and Ukrainians. They are here, they have been coming here.

There is still a trickle of Irish and Italians coming to New York. Mostly those with family here, and more to get some experience abroad and/or check out the country than as part of some economic migration.

But as far as a large scale migration from Europe to America? Not in the forseeable future.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:16 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
...most of these immigrants are not illegal but they are not assimilating and remain unemployed, they live from benefits. As for the racial strife, I do not live in parts of Europe when the immigration is occuring, but I know that in the United Kingdom Britons have a huge problem with religious and racial hatred. It is not a serious issue now, but in a decade or two, it will be disastrous in outcome for Germany, France and Italy.
And this is the primary problem with many of the illegal immigrants to the United States. Roughly a quarter of them are unemployed, and many of them are living off social assistance. The lack of assimilation is a problem too, though it's to a lesser degree than the unemployment/welfare problem. I'm all in favor of making the immigration process more efficient and less expensive, but I'm against excessive accommodation. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. The United States is a melting pot, so melt.

As far as racial and religious relations, I know they're pretty bad in Great Britain, but they seem to be getting worse in France too. Weren't there riots in the predominantly Muslim neighborhoods of Paris just a few years ago? As politically incorrect as it is to say it, sharia law is simply not compatible with Western society, and trying to accommodate it is a suicide pact.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:27 PM

914 posts, read 1,661,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
No. European immigration wave has happened. It is history. It is over.

Same reasons as for South America. Established economical and social position, reversed from what has been in Europe in Nineteen Century. Literally no one interested. I mean it. Most people here dislike the United States. I am deadly serious. In Europe the most widespread attitude for the United States is this. Not that mighty, not that wealthy, not that influential and not that interesting. For most Europeans, today luxury-loving and socially secured (which is a huge issue in European mentality) people, emigration is too hard and not that beneficial. In Europe people perceive the United States as diminishing empire, and think European Union will rule the world, or remain important. And most people here do not believe that something like American dream is achieveable nowadays. There are, in general, very ignorant and arrogant towards the United States and the rest of the word. And I mean very ignorant and arrogant. Furthermore, poeple here love to live in illusion, which they are creating to themselves, that even if the world is run from New York City, Los Angeles, Huston, Shanghai and Tokyo, they will think that Paris, Berlin, Madrid and Milan is enough to stop care. Really, today people in Europe are deeply Europe-centered, unable to see antyhing beyond. That will destroy them, if they will not alter their attitude, as it has once destroyed Chinesee. They say that the United States is evil, inefficient and shall fall. They shall fall sooner, though.

Most young adults I know are not interested in immigration to the United States, even if they will have opportunity to easily conduct it. And I know also many people that has been to the United States, receive education there, or even gown up there. Even know induviduals that has been in the United States on Fulbright Scholarship. And you not what? None of them is interested in such a transition.

That is a voice from the Old Continent. Deal with it.
I doubt most Europeans give the United States to much thought. I'm sure most are busy and worry about their own lives and getting ahead. They may have a passing opinion, but nothing to serious. If Europe is anything like here, where most people have little more than a modest take on Europe, which is for the most part - a great place to visit, but I'm glad I live in the United States.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if there was an increase in European immigration to the US, especially, from eastern and southern Europe. Their low birth rate, decreasing population and increasing debt is going to create a dire situation in the near future. There are European nations facing a future with 2 retirees for only one worker. A recipe for disaster. I envision many of the young in these nations looking for an out to a nation with good demographics and a future, such as the United States.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,462,884 times
The US can't seem to shut off the valve of immigrants from south of the border? That leaves a smaller trickle from the rest of the world? Unless they are highly skilled professionals perhaps? If a European nation was in dire straights and the US didn't crash too? It is reasonable to assume the US could open a valve for them as a humanitarian crisis had occurred? But to me far less likely for a European super crisis? That didn't take down the US too? Or visa versa. Far too much of the World is so intertwined? That if Europe or the US fell? The whole world would be in turmoil..... even depression? If not ww3.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Most Americans are woefully ignorant of what the rest of the world thinks about us. It's not as rosy as what our politicians act like. I'm hopeful this will change with my millennial generation as we are more internationally aware than older Americans and we seek ideas from other parts of the world rather than doing things just because that's how paw paw did them. Anyway Europeans who want to move to another first country overwhelmingly go to Canada or Australia.

Aside from that Europe has an old population. Most people who migrate are young.

If you want to listen to an American who gets it here is a Rick Steves video (it's very long) talking about what people think and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piF5ikeveHA

Old 12-08-2014, 06:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,275,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Of course not. Europe is just as developed (if not more developed) than the US is. What kind of economic benefits could they possibly attain from moving to the States?

As far as Eastern Europeans go, they'll just continue to emigrate to Western and Northern Europe. A lot of Eastern European countries are already EU members, so they can freely relocate wherever the economics are more favorable.
Maybe they could actually get a job in the United States. The unemployment level in Greece is horrible for example and most of the EU is looking really bad compared to the United States as far as unemployment goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or