U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
 
12,673 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Reputation: 17564

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
He said "everyone hates on the south." Unless you are dumber than a stump you clearly know what he meant. It's a figure of speech. You weirdos and your nitpicking is annoying really. Nobody on earth actually believes that everybody hates the South as we all know there are plenty of sane people who do not hate the South. Now grow up.



You are a simpleton.
And you're very charming.

The stereotyping works both ways - and that's always proven in threads like this. In defending your region, you're knocking on another in the same way you claim they knock on you. There is no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM
 
1,229 posts, read 974,926 times
Reputation: 929
"Everyone hates on the South" is what you're so upset about. You're weird and over sensitive and you obviously look for things to be "outraged" over. I would also like to know how saying "everyone hates on the South" is knocking another region.

I'm from NY.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-16-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Reputation: 3346
Well, as a Southern transplant to California, I can tell you that people in California tend to be California-centric.

Most people in California don't care because while 50% of the population is native born, that means 50% of the population still wasn't born there.

I have occasionally been met with disrespect because of the accent. One boss was such a San Francisco, save the world, feminist, "open-minded" type that I'm convinced she wanted me fired, in part for my accent. But in general, when I show more knowledge about California than some natives who have assumed a few things about me (or even transplants with their misconceptions), they back off. And actually become quite nice. I'm actually friends now with another transplant, a guy from another Western state, who actually dislikes the South (and the accent) and made fun of me at first for it.

Within three months, I had diffused him with my humor so much that not only did he feel relaxed around me, we were hanging out after work. He is a natural smart alec, as am I, part of the reason I was able to read through him anyway. He's a West Coast liberal and I'm a Southern-born conservative, but we just choose to not discuss politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 AM
 
12,673 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Reputation: 17564
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
"Everyone hates on the South" is what you're so upset about. You're weird and over sensitive and you obviously look for things to be "outraged" over. I would also like to know how saying "everyone hates on the South" is knocking another region.

I'm from NY.
... What? I'm not upset about anything, especially not the statement "everybody hates on the South." I'm not even from the South, and I live in one of the worst stereotyped states. I'm not arguing that the South isn't heavily stereotyped. My point is simply that in threads about one stereotyped region, people from other regions are also stereotyped as those from the originally discussed region defend where they live.

I'm not outraged or sensitive about anything. I just find it ironic that when defending their region from stereotypes, people are quick to make blanket statements about those from other regions. I see it all the time in threads. It's a defense mechanism, I get it, but it's quite hypocritical.

What's the difference between this statement:
Everyone in the South is poor and talks funny.

And this statement in response?:
Everyone in the North claims to hate the South, and they take time out of their days to rag on us, yet they keep moving here.

All statements I see on CD threads. I see stereotyping in both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Well, as a Southern transplant to California, I can tell you that people in California tend to be California-centric.

Most people in California don't care because while 50% of the population is native born, that means 50% of the population still wasn't born there.

I have occasionally been met with disrespect because of the accent. One boss was such a San Francisco, save the world, feminist, "open-minded" type that I'm convinced she wanted me fired, in part for my accent. But in general, when I show more knowledge about California than some natives who have assumed a few things about me (or even transplants with their misconceptions), they back off. And actually become quite nice. I'm actually friends now with another transplant, a guy from another Western state, who actually dislikes the South (and the accent) and made fun of me at first for it.

Within three months, I had diffused him with my humor so much that not only did he feel relaxed around me, we were hanging out after work. He is a natural smart alec, as am I, part of the reason I was able to read through him anyway. He's a West Coast liberal and I'm a Southern-born conservative, but we just choose to not discuss politics.
I know what you mean.

When I lived on the West Coast those type of women seemed to be intimidated (or perhaps it was just unbridled disrespect?) by me because I'm a "man's man" from the South/Southwest with an Oklahoma twang. I had to work 10x as hard to make traction at work, but when I did most of the disdain for the backward Okie seemed to subside.

And Amen on not talking about politics. Discussing the Pro-Life vs. Abortion issue was always an interesting and sometimes intense debate. It's better not to go there, at least at work where there were some femi-Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2014, 07:35 AM
 
1,229 posts, read 974,926 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
... What? I'm not upset about anything, especially not the statement "everybody hates on the South." I'm not even from the South, and I live in one of the worst stereotyped states. I'm not arguing that the South isn't heavily stereotyped. My point is simply that in threads about one stereotyped region, people from other regions are also stereotyped as those from the originally discussed region defend where they live.

I'm not outraged or sensitive about anything. I just find it ironic that when defending their region from stereotypes, people are quick to make blanket statements about those from other regions. I see it all the time in threads. It's a defense mechanism, I get it, but it's quite hypocritical.

What's the difference between this statement:
Everyone in the South is poor and talks funny.

And this statement in response?:
Everyone in the North claims to hate the South, and they take time out of their days to rag on us, yet they keep moving here.

All statements I see on CD threads. I see stereotyping in both.
If you weren't upset you would've shut up already. Days later and you still can't get over it. Here's the difference between those two statements. The stereotype against the South is a negative and snooty jab while the second stereotype is simply "everyone hates on the South" which is exactly what he said word for word. It's a reasonable observation given how the media and C-D portrays the South. And you're still having a hard time grasping "figure of speech."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,075 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I got broke in back in 1957 after being assigned to Ft Monmouth, NJ. Just a 19 year old Alabama boy who had never been out of the South. My four bunkmates were from NJ, NY and Calif. In the 57 years since then nothing has changed. My son lives in Westchester, County, NY and when I visit, I try to go primed. I know when I open my mouth and speak to a local what their initial response will be. "PARDON"? It never fails. My last incident was at a Home Depot, where I asked one of the clerks where something was located. First he said, "PARDON"? . The next words were, "You sound country".
Occasionally, in the South, I get a little payback.
Wow, funny to see someone mention Fort Monmouth. It's about a mile from where I live, or what was Ft. Monmouth, anyway. It closed in 2010.

Saying "you sound country" is uncalled for and I can't think of why someone would even make that remark, but you really can't blame someone for saying "PARDON?" when they can't understand what you just said. If you're not used to hearing a heavy southern accent, it can take a moment to tune your ear to what people are saying. I'm sure the same thing happens when northerners go south.

Back to the topic, though, people who just assume someone from the south is an idiot or somehow slower than everyone else are just feeding their own prejudices. I work in NYC, and I've met many well-educated business people from the south over the years who spoke with their regional accents. Everybody's not a Mayberry character. And there are plenty of pockets of ignorant hicks within a 50-miles radius of NYC, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,075 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
... What? I'm not upset about anything, especially not the statement "everybody hates on the South." I'm not even from the South, and I live in one of the worst stereotyped states. I'm not arguing that the South isn't heavily stereotyped. My point is simply that in threads about one stereotyped region, people from other regions are also stereotyped as those from the originally discussed region defend where they live.

I'm not outraged or sensitive about anything. I just find it ironic that when defending their region from stereotypes, people are quick to make blanket statements about those from other regions. I see it all the time in threads. It's a defense mechanism, I get it, but it's quite hypocritical.

What's the difference between this statement:
Everyone in the South is poor and talks funny.

And this statement in response?:
Everyone in the North claims to hate the South, and they take time out of their days to rag on us, yet they keep moving here.

All statements I see on CD threads. I see stereotyping in both.
^Great post. So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 12:24 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
13,356 posts, read 7,023,804 times
Reputation: 4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow, funny to see someone mention Fort Monmouth. It's about a mile from where I live, or what was Ft. Monmouth, anyway. It closed in 2010.

Saying "you sound country" is uncalled for and I can't think of why someone would even make that remark, but you really can't blame someone for saying "PARDON?" when they can't understand what you just said. If you're not used to hearing a heavy southern accent, it can take a moment to tune your ear to what people are saying. I'm sure the same thing happens when northerners go south.

Back to the topic, though, people who just assume someone from the south is an idiot or somehow slower than everyone else are just feeding their own prejudices. I work in NYC, and I've met many well-educated business people from the south over the years who spoke with their regional accents. Everybody's not a Mayberry character. And there are plenty of pockets of ignorant hicks within a 50-miles radius of NYC, too.
(Emphasis mine)

I know you probably don't mean it, but you seem to be implicitly linking Southern speech with a lack of education. Of course, this is the stereotype. I am wholly against it because I like Southern way of life and I think there is a difference between "education" and wisdom. The former more closely corresponds with the ideology of a follower of cosmopolitan and globalist elitism. And, as evidenced by the fact that you speak of "ignorant hicks," you give me the impression that you endorse this way of being as opposed to a more traditional and folkish way of life that is especially characteristic of the South. Wisdom, compared to "education," is something else entirely. Wisdom is rooted in tradition and experience rather than ideals; and the highest purpose of wisdom is the ability to live off the land, something that urban, cosmopolitan folks seem to lack and cannot see the true worth of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Reputation: 48173
no-- only other southerners from the upper crust treat me bad. they know from my accent i escaped from the wrong side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top