U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:43 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times

Advertisements

Everyone hates on the South but the most of the country keeps moving here.. I find that ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 PM

306 posts, read 593,601 times
I have friends with thick accents who have been mocked openly and treated badly. It's heartbreaking to hear. I would never insult anyone, but being a "yankee," I definitely had a connotation with certain thick accents. Spending some time in one of those states taught me what an ******* I was to even think like that. I met some very intelligent, open-minded liberal people with very thick southern accents. I grew to love the accents!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM

856 posts, read 590,457 times
No cut & dried yes or no here. In the middle '50's the parents moved from SW Tn. to NW Indiana for the supposed job opportunities. Back in the late '50's & '60's while I was in school in NW Indiana, I was treated to some serious ridiculing. "What do you hillbillies eat for supper??? Possum & grits???" And so on & so forth. Of course, there was the prerequisite bullying.
And much fun was made of accents. It did not matter how good your grades were, how well mannered you were, or how talented, etc. TV programs like The Beverly Hillbillies & Hee Haw did NOT help {{ After living thru the hell that was high school, I moved myself back home to Tn.}} Parents & siblings remained "up north." Fast forward to young adulthood..... When I would return to Indiana to visit family, these same people (men especially) who used too poke fun at the way I talked were ENCHANTED with the sound of a female southern accent. Go figure. I would go places like the Moose Lodges, etc., & guys would fall over themselves buying my drinks & asking me to dance, if only I would just TALK. Said all that to say it has had it's pro's & con's. Would not trade my "Southern-ness" for anything else.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 PM

5,231 posts, read 3,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
No cut & dried yes or no here. In the middle '50's the parents moved from SW Tn. to NW Indiana for the supposed job opportunities. Back in the late '50's & '60's while I was in school in NW Indiana, I was treated to some serious ridiculing. "What do you hillbillies eat for supper??? Possum & grits???" And so on & so forth. Of course, there was the prerequisite bullying.
And much fun was made of accents. It did not matter how good your grades were, how well mannered you were, or how talented, etc. TV programs like The Beverly Hillbillies & Hee Haw did NOT help {{ After living thru the hell that was high school, I moved myself back home to Tn.}} Parents & siblings remained "up north." Fast forward to young adulthood..... When I would return to Indiana to visit family, these same people (men especially) who used too poke fun at the way I talked were ENCHANTED with the sound of a female southern accent. Go figure. I would go places like the Moose Lodges, etc., & guys would fall over themselves buying my drinks & asking me to dance, if only I would just TALK. Said all that to say it has had it's pro's & con's. Would not trade my "Southern-ness" for anything else.
Your experience up north sounds like mine.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 PM

856 posts, read 590,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Your experience up north sounds like mine.
Southern man - Sorry that anyone else had to live thru all that nonsense. It was just another form of discrimination.

Last edited by roadhogHR; 12-05-2014 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: err

Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,267,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am from east TN and have lived in both IN and IA, and have gotten numerous comments all over the place on my heavy accent. I was also raised and spent some time in college in SC, so I have more of a full Southern accent than the average person from east TN.

Especially in IA, people treated me like I was an absolute idiot based on my accent. Sometimes people would lightly tease, but you could easily tell the difference between teasing and condescension. In IN, I get the same treatment, though less severe.

If you're a Southerner with an accent and are living outside the South, do people treat you like you're a buffoon?
Only if you present yourself as such. I have never seen anyone treated any differently than anyone else in the many places I have lived over the years.

People in Iowa do not treat anyone as you have described and I have lived in 5 different areas of Iowa and have never once seen anything like that.
I've also lived in 4 different areas of Indiana and never seen nor experienced anything as you have described.
I've lived in South Carolina as well as Tennessee and the only place that I was ever treated terribly was in the Shreveport, Louisiana area but only by the women.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:30 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,272,293 times
It's not like Iowa is Massachusetts compared to the South. I wouldn't have expected people up there to look down on the South. In many ways, the Midwest is pretty similar to the South.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,272,293 times
One thing is certain. I've met people from Mississippi and Alabama who HATE telling people where they're from. I feel like it's only those two. Whenever outsiders think of Mississippi or Alabama, the horrific history of racial strife will always come to mind. Not to mention countless "redneck" jokes and assumptions.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,837,348 times
I am from WY originally and live in AL now. I have no trouble understanding southern accents, except when people mumble, then it might as well be Chinese.

That being said, I struggled with strong WI/MN accents when I lived there too.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 PM

144 posts, read 223,956 times
Cincinnati is the only city with an anti-discrimination ordinance aganist people of Appalachian ancestry. It was passed in the early 1990's in response to discrimination complaints from the city's Appalachian residents. Some of my relatives moved to northern Indiana and faced a lot of jokes and stereotypes too.

I talk to a lot of people at work from all over the United States. I had a client from Pennsylvania who immediately started to talk slowly after they found out I was from Georgia. I've also heard the "You wear shoes!" remark and the incest jokes too.

I don't know how the incest jokes got started, but there have been studies on the matter and southerners do not participate in incest at higher rates. But I guess that stereotype will stick around forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or